Look, Both Hands: Superhot VR Gets Gameplay Trailer

A couple of weeks back, we learned that time-manipulating FPS SUPERHOT [official site] was in-line for an Oculus Rift-powered virtual reality edition. Speaking on Reddit, SUPERHOT Team’s PR person Szymon Krukowski explained that the hardware’s as yet unreleased motion controllers are tied to the game’s start-stop mechanics and it all sounded pretty wonderful. Now SUPERHOT VR has a trailer and, yes, it looks every bit as good as I imagined.

Three years in the making, SUPERHOT Team stress that this isn’t simply the original game – which both Adam and Graham really enjoyed – with VR tacked on as an afterthought, but is in fact an entirely new game altogether built from the ground up. Without further ado, have a gander at the trailer:

You’ll spot a whole load of dual-wielding and double duke-raising there, which is the most obvious addition this time round. Snatching enemy guns, switching hands mid-air, and dodging slow-mo bullets while strapped to a VR headset sounds and looks pretty incredible and, from the little I’ve seen so far, SUPERHOT VR strikes me as the type of game that could justify the hardware’s lofty price tag for those still on the fence.

Here’s SUPERHOT Team’s words on what it’s about:

“Part strategy, part shooter, and undeniably stylish, SUPERHOT is the bestselling independent FPS in which time moves only when you move. Having released the full version of the Kickstarted indie hit on PC and Xbox One, the SUPERHOT Team is now working double time on expanding the SUPERHOT universe with more content, game modes, and crazy experimental titles.

“No regenerating health bars. No conveniently placed ammo drops. It’s just you, outnumbered and outgunned, grabbing the weapons of fallen enemies to shoot, slice, and maneuver through a hurricane of slow-motion bullets.”

While SUPERHOT VR will be exclusive to Oculus Rift upon release, SUPERHOT Team’s Tomasz Kaczmarczyk told Polygon he was “fairly certain” they’d “circle back to other platforms eventually.”

Still no solid release date beyond “later this year” for now, but SUPERHOT VR is looking pretty promising indeed.

Read all of our E3 2016 news by clicking that link, if you like.

From this site

1. Crimsoneer says:

This VR exclusivity shit is really starting to push my buttons, especially now the Serious Sam guys have openly come out and said Oculus is just going out and offering people cash to dump the Vive.

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. For this reason alone I’m more likely to pick up the Vive instead. The more open platform should be rewarded. Oculus needs to fuck off with this anti-consumer bullshit.

Harlander says:

Yeah, seems to me like platform exclusivity in such a niche market is annotated “If you want to strangle this idea in the crib, do this”

• Antongranis says:

There is upsides to it. Develepoing games for a small market as such as VR is a risk, meaning less games are made. No games equals no platform.

Oculus funding deacreaes that risk. Its not a black and White issue. It can potetially help vr really take off.

• werbliben says:

It’s one thing to fund a game that wouldn’t otherwise exist; it’s another to buy exclusivity rights from developers who were in the process of making a game anyway. Not sure if you’re aware, but a good example of Oculus’ business practices is the story of Giant Cop, a game that was being developed exclusively for Vive (because it took advantage of room scale and motion controllers that Oculus doesn’t have as of this moment, not because they signed an agreement with HTC/Valve). Valve even sent developers a Vive for free and the devs already started selling pre-orders when Oculus threw a bunch of money at them and suddenly Giant Cop became an Oculus exclusive, with Vive support (that was already in place) removed. Pretty black and white if you ask me.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Please read this interview with Ryan Hale, the lead developer of Giant Cop:

link to uploadvr.com

• werbliben says:

@SingularityParadigm:

“People assume that making a game that runs on both is simple. It’s not. These are two very different platforms with separate API’s, tracking methods, and coding requirements. We always knew we would have to choose a platform to come to first while we worked on getting the other versions ready.”

Which obviously is why they developed the game for Vive, had people at EGX Rezzed and GDC demo it and all, and then suddenly decided that they should throw existing Vive support out the window until they release the game on a platform with a very different API, tracking method, and coding requirements.

I understand fully well that being an indie game developer is risky — and working on a VR game as one doubly so — but that doesn’t change the fact that Giant Cop would have been released even without Oculus funding. Oculus hasn’t convinced the devs to commit to making this game by offering the money in the first place, it waited until its competitor all but had a game released for its platform before making its appearance with a pot of gold.

• Antongranis says:

All the VR sets will still get the game, though. Bigger and better, according to the dev. Everybody wins in the end.

• int says:

It’s not only VR exclusive and Occulus exclusive but you can only play the game on opposite day, and whilst wearing a naughty nightie.

particlese says:

Whew, good thing it’s not opposite day, ’cause then I’d have to run out and get those other things I do not have.

• SingularityParadigm says:

There is more to that story you may not be aware of.

Croteam CTO Alen Ladavac waded into the fray with a comment and his own Reddit thread.

First, Ladavac comments:

“I want to clarify some of the inaccuracies about our relationship with Oculus. Oculus did approach us with an offer to help fund the completion of Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope in exchange for launching first on the Oculus Store and keeping it time-limited exclusive. Their offer was to help us accelerate development of our game, with the expectation that it would eventually support all PC VR platforms. We looked at the offer and decided it wasn’t right for our team. At no time did Oculus ask for, or did we discuss total exclusivity or buyout of support from Vive. We look forward to supporting Rift and Vive.”

And then here’s Oculus:

“We regularly offer developers financial grants to help fund early development of new titles to accelerate development or expand the scope of the game. In some cases, we exchange funding in return for launching on the Oculus Store first, with the expectation that the game will go on to launch on other platforms.

In the case of Croteam, at no time did we request that they stop development for other platforms, and we look forward to seeing Serious Sam be successful across the entire VR ecosystem.”

2. SomeDuder says:

No worries, noones going to buy this stupid shit. SUPER… HOT… SUPER… HOT…

sure no yea i wont get tired hearing that for hours on end, nope

3. Sivart13 says:

The story was my least favorite thing about Superhot Classic, and I’m worried with VR they’ll be able to do some unsettling/annoying shit regarding loss of control or games within games etc.

particlese says:

Pretty psyched for this one myself, and I do hope their timed exclusivity hunch comes to fruition.

I wonder if devs taking Facebook money are able to demand that the exclusivity be timed. I sure hope they at least try, though I guess their perceived leverage depends on a bunch of business junk that would make me sick just trying to type out…

5. Rindan says:

I would really like to know what shitty agreement Facebook is making with these companies. They obviously can’t even acknowledge the deals, and the fact that they all follow up with a vague, “we will probably make a Vive version” seems to me to imply that everyone is signing some sort of timed exclusivity agreement.

I struggle to articulate how much I despise Facebook for destroying my once beloved company Oculus and pissing all over this VR renaissance. I can’t believe I was naive enough to originally think that Facebook taking them over might be a good thing. I foolishly assumed that they would use the money to make better hardware, not create artificial incompatibility and try and shred the emerging VR market.

The only silver lining to this shit show is that I got my pre-ordered HTC Vive before my Facebook Rift. I felt bad when I canceled my Rift order under the delusion that I was canceling an order for an Oculus Rift and almost didn’t in the desire to wait for the touch controls to be released. Obviously, I didn’t realize then what I know now; Oculus is dead and hollowed out, and fucking Facebook is wearing its skin in an increasingly failing effort to hide what they did to that company.

Fuck Facebook for murdering one of my most beloved companies. At least their slowness in delivering saved me from getting giving my money to that rotting husk of a company that once proclaimed their desire to spread VR far and wide.

God I fucking despise Facebook.