Ubi’s For Honor Out Valentine’s Day, Gets Pair Of Trailers

If there’s one thing I really don’t like about E3, it’s the expo’s ability to make me feel old. “There’s no way that was announced a whole entire year ago,” is a phrase I’ve become accustomed to saying, and Ubisoft Montreal’s upcoming hack-n-slash murderfest For Honor [official site] is the latest game to make me do so. Why? Well it’s now got a release date and two new trailers 12 months on since its reveal. The first is a typically made-for-E3 story cinematic, and the second a more gameplay-y look at its single-player campaign with Vikings and samurai scrapping.

You see, that’s what For Honor’s all about: clans of Vikings, samurai, and knights generally not getting along and fighting one another in brutal displays of melee strength. Along with competitive multiplayer, it has a singleplayer campaign with co-op support (online and split-screen) too. The campaign’s the focus of these latest trailers.

While the gameplay trailer is more interesting, the story short does show us Apollyon – a mysterious warmonger who’s seemingly pitted the Vikings, Samurais and Knights against one another for thousands of years, even when they’ve attempted to reach for peace. Nasty:

The story campaign is a “tale of warriors that takes place in a turning point of the age-old war among our three factions,” level design director Geoff Ellenor explains as he provides commentary in the following campaign mission trailer. It focuses on the Vikings and allows us a better look at For Honor’s single-player mode, as the horny beards lay siege to a samurai settlement.

Pretty fast and furious throughout, then, however I was particularly impressed by the player’s ability to trap enemies against walls and/or hurl them off roofs in their quest for victory. This isn’t a game about strategic warfare but instead one of obnoxious in-yer-face battles, so I like that the idea that fights are messy and environments can be used to your advantage. The samurai captain Saburo is apparently one of “many bosses that you’ll encounter in For Honor’s campaign”, and I’m now interested to see what variations the other factions have.

I guess I’ll find out when For Honor launches on February 14th, 2017.

Catch up with all of our E3 2016 news this week.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. karnak says:

Vikings with horns in their helmets?!!!

Come on, people. You can do better than that :(
    Even this old film got it right link to imdb.com

• karnak says:

And I know this game is not supposed to be taken seriously. But anyway.

2. GameCat says:

Nice fighting system killed by extremaly short enemies attacking queue which seems to be worse than in Asscreed.

• teedle says:

The PVP gameplay that they showed a year ago is what I’m hyped about. The ai goons seem kinda lame.

• GWOP says:

“The AI goons seem kinda lame.”

That’s the Musou genre for you.

• pepperfez says:

“Extremely short enemies attacking queue” conjures images of belligerent gnomes assaulting people waiting to check out at the grocery store.

• shde2e says:

If I get be a gnome batting vikings over the head with a toadstool during the great Black Friday Wars, then I’m sold faster than a 5-cent plasma tv during the aforementioned war.

3. Rumpelstiltskin says:

Knights would do short work of the other two. Vikings might stand a chance with heavier axes or if they switch to hammers and maces, but katanas are utterly useless against plate. The best weapon against a knight is a crossbow.

• Manco says:

fairly certain this game isn’t going for realism, what with the horned vikings, rope launchers and fire arrows.

If it was, well, then the knights are using tech centuries ahead of both other factions. So wouldn’t exactly be fair.

• shde2e says:

Also, they’d be more likely to try and fill them with arrows, or stab them with spears. Swords were more of a back-up weapon on account of being so cruddy (among many other reasons).

Also also, if we’re going full “my guy can totally take your guy”, only late medieval knights would be anywhere likely to have full plate. Early medieval knights were equipped more on the level of roman legionnaires and the like, if not worse.

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

Plate was actually pretty effective against arrows and spears as well. And true, full plate is a bit of late thing, but ok, vikings and samurai are allowed to use their top-tier equipment as well:)

4. Blowfeld81 says:

Had high hopes for this title, but the single player campaign does look quite dull and boring.

I know it is still in (pre-?) alpha, but it was a big let down.

Hope that at least the multiplayer will shine. Single player experience looks a lot like what Ryse had to offer…

5. asthasr says:

“Mealy” combat. Thanks, commentator, you defined it perfectly. The combat appears to have the unsatisfying texture of an overripe pear.

6. Pheriannath says:

I’m actually less sure of this game after seeing that gameplay video. That gameplay system has its place, but for Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai (and others), the more technical combat of Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior is more my cup of tea.