Ark Adds Dino Big Enough To Carry A Fortress, Also Poo Flinging Monkeys

The thing I remember most strongly from the Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] segment at E3 was the ridiculously massive Titanosaur which you can build on and wondering how long before someone modded that to reference the Discworld arrangement of the space turtle A’Tuin and elephants. Oh, there’s also the introduction of the upcoming Redwood Biome and an explanation of why/how you can fling poop.

Now I’ve had time to actually go back and watch the segment properly so here’s the deal – watch from 40:15ish:

Right! The main things for the base game as far as I can tell are the addition of the Redwood Biome and the Titanosaur (that’s the creature doing the prehistoric dino version of a wheelie in the header).

The Redwood biome is pretty much exactly what it sounds like (I figure Alice might end up enraptured by it so I’m banning her from Ark until after E3). Lots of redwoods and lots of treetop base building.

The new dinosaur is that Titanosaur and it’s enormous. They’ve had dinos capable of carrying structures in the game for a while but this one is apparently enormous to the point where you can build a fortress on its back and then ride it round the map while the dinosaur attacks stuff. Actually, the word they used in the official blog was “superfortress”.

I haven’t really played Ark, I just really like looking at the animals as they add them so I’m not really getting a sense for how much this will impact play, but apparently the Titanosaurs are rare and require special forms of takedown before you can tame then (or start jamming a building site onto its back).

The monkey poo segment was about an official mod which lets you play as the different animals of Ark called Primal Survival. The microphones were a bit iffy onstage at that point but I think the mod started as an April Fool’s joke but it now a legit thing which is being build by the partner dev studio, Instinct.

You can play as the aforementioned monkeys, but also as birds or dinosaurs or frogs. I’m most interested in playing as an ant, though. Especially given the dramatic collapse of Ant Simulator earlier in the year.

The main focus of this mode seems to be keeping a healthy family, mating and breeding and so on with variations as per who you’re playing as. Co-ordinated raptor attacks is one thing I’ve seen mentioned, but there’s also webspinning and prey capturing as the spidery Araneo and colony building as the ant-based species Titanomyrma.

Looks like Primal Survival will be out later in the year. The PC version of regular Ark will get redwoods and titanosaurs on 22 June.

Don’t miss the rest of our E3 2016 news this week.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Christo4 says:

I haven’t really played the game yet because i’m not much into grinding stuff and crafting…
    But if you can get a few friends, set up a raptor squad and hunt down other human players… Or berds that fly and swoop down on them…
    I think i’ll totally buy this game!

• Zanchito says:

If you don’t like grinding, there are plenty of available servers with gathering / taming /EXP multipliers of varying intensity. I like popping in every few months and see what’s changed. The game is great fun, even better with a few friends!

• Chem says:

If you can get some friends together I recommend renting a server. It’s not very expensive especially when split and you can turn up settings and tailor the game to your liking. The server my freinds and I rent has increased gathering and taming so the four of us don’t spent half a day taming one dino.

I recommenced Bluefang as that’s what my group uses and the servers are stable and they have great support.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I love the idea of Survival Sandboxers, much like their old virtual world MMO progenitors is wonderful idea and promise of shaping a world but every single one I’ve tried has devolved into Human misery and grind with the group or individuals who can muster the most Asshole Capital having the last laugh.
      Unless you have some serious time and patience to invest with private servers or groups but then most of the emergence from tribal otherness and randoms is gone.

• Christo4 says:

Which is why i was wondering if you can play as some raptors in one of those very populated and random servers. Would be cool stalking players in the woods and tall grasses and getting to them when they’re alone. Plus, if you don’t need to grind and you’d still be dangerous, it would pose a threat to those “asshole capital” owners.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Sorry I directed that as a reply at you. It started as a reply but morphed into a negative nancy rant that should’ve been its own comment…

When removing the grind and putting everybody on an equally flat power curve the Asshole Capitalists usually one-up by just ganking newbies/respawns or ruin stuff at awkward off-hour servers. (sorry I just can’t hold my salty SurvivalBox tears in).

2. Chillicothe says:

That’s not a Titanosaur, it has fingers.

3. bill says:

I didn’t know you could actually play as the dinosaurs