Here’s Six Minutes Of CoD: Infinite Warfare’s Campaign

Although Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare [official site] is sadly not the procedurally-generated Escherian Nightmare we might’ve hoped for, Activision’s latest war-torn FPS is set in space and you’ll be pleased to know its single-player campaign looks to be shaping up nicely.  Don’t take my word for it, though – cast your eyes over six new minutes of gameplay highlights below.

You’ll notice the following video runs for close to eight minutes, actually, however the last couple are dedicated to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered – the revamped version of developer Infinity Ward’s 2007 classic that’s to be bundled in certain editions of Infinite Warfare. Anyway, trailer time:

Quite a radical departure from what we’re used to on the CoD front, then, and while it’s hard to tell what’s on rails and what’s not regarding the dog fighting shown there, the transition from inside ship to floaty weightlessness, shooting at and grappling with enemies looks pretty smart. Even though CoD’s single-player segments have come on some in recent years, multiplayer is the main reason I’ve ever picked the games up. This could well change my mind.

While the space setting is a pretty radical departure for the series, it seems more traditional war fiction played a hand in its makeup. Speaking to IGN, design director Jacob Minkoff said:

“We looked at Black Hawk Down. The theme of Black Hawk Down is no soldier left behind. You fight for the guy next to you. It’s about brotherhood before all else. And then we looked at Saving Private Ryan, and that’s a very, very, very different type of story. Saving Private Ryan is about how Captain Miller, who is a leader — he’s leading a squad of men — he realizes that it’s not about getting home, it’s not about protecting his men, it’s about accomplishing the mission no matter what.

“[This is] a story about the journey from grunt to leader. How somebody goes from the simple creed of ‘no soldier left behind’ to the more complex duty of ‘the mission comes first,’ what it means to shoulder the responsibility, to know that sometimes, the mission comes before all else.”

Oh, and Kit Harrington, who you might know as Jon Snow from Game of Thrones, has been confirmed as Infinite Warfare’s “Face of the Enemy”.

“Our story is about an epic showdown of opposing forces,” says narrative director Taylor Kurosaki. “Kit immersed himself into the role and truly became the embodiment of the enemy, the Settlement Defense Front.” So there you go.

Infinite Warfare is due to launch on November 4.

Don’t miss the rest of our E3 2016 news this week.

From this site

1. BobbyDylan says:

So. Do these fighters come with Lifetime Insurance?

2. Turkey says:

I have a feeling that they’re going to make the biggest deal ever about returning to basics when the sci-fi train runs out of steam.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Battlefield stepped back to WW1 so the equivalence bounceback ratio for CoD will be “Call of Duty: Primordial Ooze Warfare”.

Sign up now to defeast the Primordial Soup Nazis!

• Turkey says:

I just had a vision of Spore where your amoeba creature crawls out of the ocean as a fully formed marine.

• Napalm Sushi says:

The need to one-up EA Dice will result in Call Of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare. To maintain the expected pacey gun-play, all significant characters will run around with flintlock revolvers, Nock guns, hand mortars and other devices that were barely used or seen in the actual conflict and whose implausibly efficient portrayals will permit them to comprehensively reject the disciplined formation tactics of the time.

3. jasta85 says:

6 minutes of the campaign? so that’s about half the campaign right there :p

• Cerulean Shaman says:

OUCH!

Looks pretty though. Too bad for COD, after what I’ve seen of Titan Fall 2 makes me just meh at this game.

Nauallis says:

Which is the funny part, right? Titanfall is what COD probably would have become had they not gotten rid of everybody who had an imagination AND the skills to make those ideas real.

FhnuZoag says:

To dampen expectations a bit, I’d expect the space shooting to be a chained series of small arenas, and the fighting in space would probably be just a matter of pointing and clicking on enemies until you’ve killed enough, then a prompt comes up to use the grapple so as to advance to the next area.

• USER47 says:

Nah, CoD:AW already had functional grappling hook system, and Ghosts had some fun segments in space, I don’t see why this should be as scripted as you suggest. I am pretty sure the video is representative of the gameplay, despite the sci-fi focus it’s quite similar to previous instalments.

5. Don Reba says:

They should make all the trailers for Infinite Warfare loop.

6. derbefrier says:

it does looks fun but lets be real here. a lot of what you see is most likely scripted and not dynamic. the transition from space ship to eva looked looked like it was on rails and not a real choice by the player. the grappling hook looked like it functioned independently of any real physics with canned animations for the kills etc.. inside the capital ship ismost likely separate level disguised by clever loading screens and not an independent entity in space like you see in Star Citizen.

basically dont let the hype train lead you to forget this is a CoD game and it will still play like all other CoD games and have the limitations of a 2 year dev cycle while its looks entertaining dont expect anything special other than a change of scenery.

still might be worth a playthrough though. I Will be interested to see how they incorporate this into the multiplayer.

7. Jeroen D Stout says:

Ahh, a bridge with windows that look out, on a spaceship, with everything designed around floors… Explosive decompression that sucks people out, screaming… Artificial gravity which is trivial to engage, and yet they are using conventional weapons… ships engaging in combat at almost point-blank range… “fighter jets in space”… no trace of advanced AI despite long-term military-driven progress…

Tv Tropes is going to be a wonder about this one.

• DailyFrankPeter says:

It’s TV tropes all the way. Not sure you mentioned aerofoil wings in space (complete with carrier catapult to achieve ‘lift’), not to mention the very tactical acuity of letting the captain go and fight himself.

• Khoryos says:

From the first trailer, they look like aerospace fighters rather than just space fighters, so they’d need to be aerodynamic.

And I can think of a few reasons you’d want catapult launches in space – less time accelerating up to combat speeds in a firefight, for example – but I’ll refrain from judgement until I see if it’s justified in-story.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s the Fi of the Sci.
      Rule of Cool trumps all so the scales tip heavily to Fi. In troper terms.

• SuicideKing says:

I’m still not sure why they lowered their blast shields.

Nauallis says:

Because REASONS! DUH. I think I missed that too.

• Balthasar42 says:

“Sounds like somebody’s horsing around out there. But I can’t be sure with the blast shields down. Hmm.”
        Seems like a strong argument against putting in windows in the first place.

• cutechao999 says:

not to mention that they seem to take the ship, but end up blowing it up for unknown reasons instead of taking the ship like their age of sail counterparts would do.

8. frogmanalien says:

Argh… I don’t want to like it… but the sci-fi cliches appeal to me – grappling hooks in space sound fun!
    I’m a hard sci-fi fan (in word format) but I accept it’s not easy to translate that into game format, so I don’t blame CoD (if it really can be called that anymore) doesn’t go all in on it.
    So what’s the story on pre-orders for this – does the PC get a pre-order (there’s a page on steam, but no order button) and, if not, does that mean we all get the remastered old stuff thrown in?

FhnuZoag says:

Interesting perspective on Captain Miller in Saving Private Ryan by the way.

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve changed so much, my wife is even gonna recognize me whenever it is I get back to her, and how I’ll ever be able to tell about days like today. Aw, Ryan. I don’t know anything about Ryan, I don’t care. The man means nothing to me; he’s just a name. But if, you know, if going to Ramelle, and finding him so he can go home, if that earns me the right to get back to my wife, well then, then that’s my mission.

Sure sounds like a man who “realizes that it’s not about getting home, it’s not about protecting his men, it’s about accomplishing the mission no matter what.”

10. int says:

Now I kinda wish they would just add aliens to the main campaign.

11. Michael Fogg says:

So it’s some kind of a Star Wars/Crysis mix -it will be interesting to see this kind of thing play out without any kind of aliens

12. Det. Bullock says:

Space pew pew! Me Like!
    Seriously though, if the space combat is at least at Rogue Squadron 3D/Rogue Leader level (arcade with limited areas but not stupid like in the latest Battlefront) and you are allowed to use a stick on PC I might consider buying it.

13. Daarck says:

was COD: Battlestar Galactica Edition just a stretch too far for the copyright lawyers?

shevek says:

“They’re launching scousers!”?

• KingFunk says:

Yeah the spare ones who weren’t allowed to be in Morrisons ads…

15. KingFunk says:

Also interested to see if Kit can extend his repertoire beyond ‘anguished confusion’… could make for a new take on baddies, though!

16. tonicer says:

That actually looks like fun.

17. thelastpointer says:

This is very impressive, though the shooting looks a bit weightless.

18. TheRealHankHill says:

So is there going to be a server browser for community servers so they can’t just kill the game in 2 years after they have released 6 more CoD games? No I’m just kidding, of course there won’t be server browsers and of course they will kill the game.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 26 times… well you aren’t gonna fool me again.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Uh, every COD is still playable online.

19. Greg Wild says:

Is this like shareware or something? Like, get one third of the game for free, then the rest of it by paying?

20. noxohimoy says:

Nice graphics, but it only makes it worse.

Call of Duty do not understands gaming.

It starts with a loooooong movie. That’s aggravating. Games are not movies. Games are about giving the player control, not about passively watching a history. That’s not a game.

Then it goes on a scripted sequence. What makes it aggravating is that you see a spaceship, and you want to play with it. You want to explore it, to find cool things, push the buttons, open the doors, scratch the bottom of the barrel, break the stuff, push the limits, see what is beyond the row.

But you cannot. The spaceship is there only as a prop. It is just the landscape. You can only press the button to advance forward the scripted script.

You are shown the toys, but cannot play with them. That’s disgusting. It´s evil…. and is NOT gaming.

It is like placing you an a super Ferrari, or Mclaren, but nailed to the backseat. You can only watch how the bots have fun. It’s like being at the evil “friend” house, with cool and expensive toys, but which does not share them. You are invited only to envy his lifestyle.

Then it goes again across a scripted sequence (with disgusting quick time events) where you can only go to the scripted enemy spaceship, and only then, after a looooong time, you are released. FINALLY, you are free, allowed to play!

… but not. You are overpowered. There is no challenge and no fun. You do not solve any problem. You aren’t witty. You do not outsmart the enemy. You only press the “enemy dies” button repeatedly.

You are shown a space battle. A real one would have infinite interesting aspects. Just the idea itself invites to dream about all the cool stuff you could be doing.

BUT NOT!

You are only the annoyance to the script maker. He wants to show you his fantastic script, but you ruin it by being in the middle. You are just a round peg to be hammered on his square script.

21. laggyluk says:

Important people from Activision must have been thinking on how to get rich instead of attending physics lessons