FIFA 17 Adds Story Mode With Alex Hunter’s Journey

E3’s procession of press conferences brought the news that FIFA 17 [official site] will be getting a story mode and I’m… kind of excited about that.

The mode is called The Journey and the E3 trailer follows Alex Hunter (which manages to be both an EXTREMELY videogames protagonist name and an EXTREMELY footballer name). He’s been causing flurries of excitement at the exit trials (they’re sort of showcase matches for young players hoping to catch the attention of scouts from various clubs) due to his footballing prowess.

The early part of the trailer is kind of reminiscent of some of the football fanfic I used to read back in the day (yeah, that’s a thing – some of it went really weird places and you left with MANY questions but some was just really sweet Mary Sue-type stuff where kids would clearly just want to be an amazing and famous footballer, scoring goals on their debut and living in fancy houses).

BUT THEN! Things take a darker turn. We are told that this fame and glory can disappear “just like that”.

Now it’s all off-target shots and José Mourinho and wanting to fight for your place and suits and shoving.

“For the first time ever in FIFA, live your story on and off the pitch as the Premier League’s next rising star, Alex Hunter. Play on any club in the Premier league, for authentic managers and alongside some of the best players on the planet. Experience brand new worlds in FIFA 17, all while navigating your way through the emotional highs and lows of The Journey.”

The FIFA site indicates that choice will play a big part in how the story unfolds, so you can choose to pursue personal glory or be more of a team-player. In case you’re interested a number of Premier League players acted as “authenticity consultants” and the actual writing was by Tom Watt who ghost-wrote David Beckham’s autobiography.

I’m wondering if you absolutely have to be a star striker or whether you can just be a really solid defender. Like, do I have to be Beckham/Shearer or can I be a Moore or a Maldini?

FIFA 17 is due out on September 29th, but hopefully Adam will return from LA with answers sooner…

Don’t miss the rest of our E3 2016 news this week.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Laini says:

According to Alex is a striker, you have no say in that.
    That’s a bit of a shame but I suppose it’s the position that gives them the most possibilities for a story and there’d need to be a lot more dialogue and such for all the other positions.

I don’t mind that you can’t customise your own Alex but I was hoping you could pick where he played.

Still, for something that seems super dumb and super cheesy I’m looking forward to playing it.
    I just wish they’d really do something with the main Career mode, it badly needs some kind of update.

• thekelvingreen says:

My guess is it’ll be a striker to introduce the feature, then they’ll tweak it for next year so you can play any position.

2. Erithtotl says:

I skipped 16 for the first time in awhile me skipping an edition. All the mode improvements seem to be going towards Ultimate Team nowadays. That’s just too much of a grind and the gameplay online is just too arcade. They’ve been ignoring the career modes for awhile and I’m not holding my breath this time around. Maybe Pro Evo will pass FIFA in depth this year and I’ll make the switch.

• ROMhack2 says:

16 was the first game I picked up since 13. It’s quite good to me because it’s a more methodical game than most of them but it’s ultimately very flawed, mostly because it thinks players like Messi and Lewandowski are as good at tackling as Pogba and Kante (if only mon petit cher!).

I used to be a PES hopeful but I think that ship has sailed. It has good ideas but feels like a game held back by a low budget.

3. Boomerang says:

So a slightly more fleshed-out ‘Become a Legend’ mode from PES? Sounds lame regardless.

4. spacedyemeerkat says:

I love the sound of this. As a result, I think I’ll pick it up for PS4.

5. ROMhack2 says:

I’m slightly biased in that I think Be A Pro is crap but I’m not expecting much from this. EA have a habit of making any new feature really awkward at first, let alone a story of hubris reaching for pathos.

6. anHorse says:

Hey guys 2k ruined their one player mode by adding a scripted career so let’s do the same!

7. Jac says:

Hopefully they consulted Balotelli and Joey Barton.

phuzz says:

Will there be a mini-game where you get to pick the most ridiculous haircut known to humanity?

• wettis says:

No, that’s the main mode. However there will be a minigame where you get to play actual matches using the haircut from the main game.

9. ElkiLG says:

What if you’re awful in every game you play and don’t score a single point? Will you still be successful and get that big house we see in the trailer? Having a story mode in a sports game sounds complicated.

• chackosan says:

Then you have a side mission where you break into Mourinho’s castle and dig up incriminating evidence about him, so he’s forced to keep playing you in the starting XI.