Get On The Floor! Just Dance Makes PC Debut This Year

Update: Whoops! While I’d originally suggested Just Dance 2017 requires the Kinect, it doesn’t. Brainfart! It instead uses the Just Dance Controller app.

Well, isn’t this something? The best-selling music game series of all time, the one that started way back in 2009 and has made it onto just about every other platform since, is coming to PC this year. Ubisoft’s Just Dance 2017 [official site] is heading our way in October, bringing with it a range of different modes, 40 new tracks, and over 200 more via its “dance-on-demand” Just Dance Unlimited service.

Get on yer dancing shoes and we’ll check out its E3 reveal trailer:

You’ll need to download the Just Dance Controller app to play – “which lets up to six players join in by using their smartphones as motion sensors, with no camera or Kinect needed” – you’ll need to clear a bit of floor space to cut some shapes, and you’ll probably also fall out with your significant other because the only way they let you splash out on that expensive gaming PC was if you stuck it in a corner of the living room and promised to only ever play with your headphones plugged in. Well, that last part’s probably just me but you might want to at least check with the downstairs neighbours before shaking off and cutting loose.

Anyway, Just Dance 2017 includes things like the Just Dance Machine, a “frantic” new mode that asks you to perform different dances – such as flamenco, ballet, and the cancan – in order to “help your alien captors return home.” Sounds a bit weird, but there’s also the Sweat + Playlists fitness mode, that lets you add your own playlists, and the Dance Quest online challenge mode too. With those, you’ll be boogying on down to the ten tracks that’ve so far been revealed:

Sorry – Justin Bieber
DADDY – Psy Ft. CL of 2NE1
Cheap Thrills – Sia Ft. Sean Paul
Lean On – Major Lazer Ft. MØ & DJ Snake
Worth It – Fifth Harmony Ft. Kid Ink
Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
PoPiPo – Hatsune Miku
Radical – Dyro & Dannic
El Tiki – Maluma
September – Equinox Stars
What Is Love – Ultraclub 90

I’m surely showing my age when I only recognise a few of those tracks there, and that the last one listed is undoubtedly the best of the lot. Another 30 tunes will make up Just Dance 17’s playlist by the time it releases in October this year.

Don’t miss the rest of our E3 2016 news this week.

From this site

1. Spacewalk says:

Sorry DADDY, you know I’ve been looking for Cheap Thrills but you can Lean On me you know I’m Worth It. Don’t stop Me Now but I’m having a Radical time at the El Tiki bar this September. What Is Love? Nothing to hurt me over.

2. TeePee says:

This makes me slightly sad for one of two potential reasons:

A) Somewhere on this wonderful, baffling planet of Earth is a person that genuinely, genuinely believed that this was a sound investment of time and money. Probably multiple people, as I’m guessing deciding to develop a game for a platform that hasn’t been a traditional stronghold isn’t the kind of decision one makes unilaterally.
    That person is probably paid far more than most of us for doing a job that apparently they have no understanding of.

B) Someone (again, probably multiple people!) within Ubisoft, one of the biggest game publishers in the world looked at this, realised that this was probably going to sell next to nothing and just didn’t care enough to do or say anything. Again, slightly sad.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe there’s a huge, untapped market of Kinect-owning PC gamers who have been patiently waiting for their chance to dance along to Justin Bieber et al. This could be their way into that money pit!

• Joe Donnelly says:

While I can’t say either way if there’s an untapped market of Kinect-owning PC players who are fond of Justin Bieber – Just Dance 2017 doesn’t require the Kinect after all. It turns out that I am just an idiot who misread. Sorry!

3. Ross Angus says:

Does anyone know how this works, technically? The video shows some young chap waving his phone about in one hand. Is it the motion detectors built into the phone which tracks movement? Or am I missing the point, and the Just Dance series has always relied on an honour system, to assess dance quality?

• TeePee says:

There’s long been an honour system in the Just Dance community – there have been several instances of players committing ritual suicide after particularly poor performances. That’s why early versions were shipped with ‘dance mats’ – it was actually to protect users’ carpets from blood spatter. These were phased out in the early 2000s with the rise in wipe-clean laminate flooring in many households.

• Ross Angus says:

Thank you. I’m always impressed by the depth of the knowledge in the RPS comments.