Farming Simulator 17 Sells A Dream

The news is unbearable; I don’t want to look at or even think about anything involving shooting people today. Combing through the wreckage of E3, I stumble across a CGI trailer for Farming Simulator 17 [official site]: a tranquil, unspoilt, not-actual-footage world of fields and ploughs and big blue skies, and it’s like a window into a better world that isn’t filled with horror.

Gloriously pretty, and well-soundtracked too. This is openly declared to be a CGI trailer, and as such sadly I am unconvinced that most of what we see there is anything like 100% representative of ye olde in-game-footage, but I suppose I am happy to imagine fields that realistically furrowed and grass that lush, even if it is not really to be. I imagine playing the game in that trailer and I feel ever so slightly better.

Farming Simulator is one of those games whose existence I’m grateful for but do not truly intend to play myself: the fond imagining of what it would be like is, I think, worth retaining, and not disrupting with reality. The same is true of actually working in the fields all day: for a man who sits at a keyboard all day, it’s a beautiful dream, but of course doing it for real would involve endless repetition, coldness, dirt and anxiety about yields.

Bah.

Farming Simulator is due out by year’s end.

From this site

1. yogibbear says:

I can’t believe they made 17 iterations of this game.

• Carcer says:

The 17 is derived from the year (2017). So, chin up, it’s actually only the eighth game in this series.

• BathroomCitizen says:

It’s the 2017th iteration of the game!

The first version was kinda rough.

• ChrisGWaine says:

It was nearly as laborious as real farming. You had to manually update the mosaic tiles yourself, in accordance with complicated rules, especially the ox behavior.

2. Kala says:

” it’s like a window into a better world that isn’t filled with horror.”

Same. I’m strapping in to play Stardew Valley for similar reasons; it’s nice and the world is shit.

3. Zanchito says:

I fear we’re witnessing the famous bullshot (link to penny-arcade.com). Do we know anything about the game itself? Does it have a career mode? Can I watch progress bars filling and numbers going up? After being so grossly enthralled by ETS2 , I’m open to mostly any game.

4. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

What’s crazy about these games is that they are so crap. There is an enormous potential for a farming game with some proper depth – a la SimFarm, or Harvest Moon (read Dtardew Valley). I would play the shit out of that game forever and ever. But these guys completely squander any ‘simulation’ for an experience where you drive tractors with shitty physics.

• LimEJET says:

From what you’re saying, it seems like your only experience with Farming Simulator is through the eyes of a “Let’s Play”-er. Most of these “simulators” are just crap cash-ins, but Farming Sim, Euro Truck and Train Sim (arguably) are all pretty solid titles comparably. While its true that it could do with more depth, “driving tractors” is only a part of the experience.

5. Ethaor says:

I wish these would be in-game graphics/physics.

Then the game will release and we’ll be back into the early 2000 again.

6. FCA says:

Never forget

Probably just as representative of actual gameplay as this trailer.

phuzz says:

Thanks for saving me the time to post this. It’s still the first thing I think of when someone mentions Farming Simulator.

Ahmedinejad so kawaii~

7. stoner says:

I won’t waste my money on FS 17. I’ve been played FS 2009, 2011, 2013, 15. I really thought, with all the hype, that FS 15 would be a step up from FS2013. Nope. Oh sure, FS 15 added logging; FS 15 merely incorporated a logging mod from FS 2013.

FS 15 had the same crop types as the previous versions. There were no orchards. Most of the equipment was the same. GAmeplay was exactly the same. Then, there’s the physics. Some of the worse physics in the history of gaming. Move your tractor the wrong way, and watch it it literally leap a hundred feet into the air and land in a tree. Thankfully, the developer actively supports modding (second to none), and the modder community improved the game greatly.

I’ll wait until I can buy FS 17 off the dung heap of a GOG/Steam/Gamersgate sale. Might be worth a fiver (bucks, not quid).

8. cranium1 says:

I have only played FS 2015 in the series. I rather enjoy the calm feeling resonates, something similar to ETS 2.

But yea, the physics are messed up and it needs a lot more gameplay polish. I wish they would fix the existing game (even if it means more paid DLCs) rather than releasing a useless iteration every year.

9. chabuhi says:

Is this their first push to console? I hope that doesn’t take a bite out of what the PC version could be. I am a fan of the series, but the gripes others have mentioned are legit. I would just hate to see any opportunity to improve the game marred by the attention diverted to launching on console.

10. MadTinkerer says:

No one posted it yet? Well I guess I will.

Farming Simulator: for only the most hardcore of gamers.

11. Sternum says:

I don’t doubt that Farming Simulator 2017 will be beautiful. Some of the user-made maps from the previous version were phenomenal. Like Euro Truck Simulator, it can be a relaxing game of driving vehicles around in circles. If you’re looking for an actual game, though, you’ll find that you’re harvesting a crop corn instead of nutritious kale. Gameplay is extremely shallow, and as far as I know, it’s impossible to fail.