Offworld Trading Company Launches Map Editor DLC

Our Adam was awfully fond of Offworld Trading Company [official site], making kissy faces as he called the real-time financial strategy game “an exceedingly intelligent game” and “one of the smartest strategy games I’ve ever played.” Smitted. If you also sent a big fluffy teddy bear to designer Soren Johnson (formerly of Firaxis) and his studio Mohawk Games, you may well like to know that it now has a map editor. You might be a touch less pleased to hear it’s paid DLC. But what do I know about you?

The Map Toolkit DLC is out now on Steam for £3.99/4,99€/$4.99. It adds a map toolkit.

The editor lets folk make their own Martian landscapes for business purposes. Y’know, like a map editor.

The pack also includes a few new pre-made maps based on real Martian locations and I believe boshes them into the campaign (from what I understand of businesstalk) so, y’know, it’s not just a map editor.

I don’t know. Editors are (were?) fairly standard for RTS games so making one but charging for it seems a bit odd. I suppose Mohawk are a small company and Offworld Trading is a relatively niche game, so continued support might depend on charging.

Despite – or perhaps due to – Adam smacking his kissy lips every time someone in the RPS treehouse mentions time Offworld Trading Company, I’ve not had a go yet. What’s it like, gang? Are you up for map editor DLC?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. CMaster says:

OTC is amazing.

The maps themselves are err, unexciting. Can’t see many people rushing to download or make custom ones (although I’m sure somebody cares).

2. Yglorba says:

Making a map editor paid DLC seems, well, counterproductive. The whole point of releasing a map editor is that fans will make additional maps for you for free, which increases the value of the base game and raises sales. Charging for the map editor is shooting yourself in the foot.

• manny says:

Not necessarily, I would wager DLC map editor reduces the amount of crappy maps by people tinkering with a free map editor. This way only those serious about map creation will bother to buy it. This has always been an issue ala morrowind.

• LionsPhil says:

The solution for that is any kind of rating system, at all.

The last time I remember a map editor being paid-for was Transport Tycoon World Editor, which was sort of a half-Deluxe stepping-stone that also brough in a whole new tileset. And that was way back in the mid-’90s.

3. Paranoid says:

The game seemed cool, but then it became apparent it would only actually be fun to play with real people, and the price is just too high to get my LAN to pick it up. More DLC really does not help that problem.

4. Nosada says:

And yet the first guy to buy this will instantly use it to make a gigantic cock-and-balls.

• Nosada says:

Was supposed to be a reply to manny:

• LionsPhil says:

There are certain traditions by which we are all honor-bound.

• Pink Gregory says:

Two triple iron deposits at the base, Offworld Market at the tip?