Steam Charts: Killer Hits

Like a man dancing to Belle & Sebastian, last week’s best-selling Steam games saw some shaking at the top but not a lot of movement below. IS YOUR FAVOURITE GAME HERE AND WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT YOU AS A PERSON IF IT’S NOT?

1. Dead by Daylight

Wha? What even? I am not a man who twitches or let’s plays much, because other human beings’ voices are like knives in my spine, so this means I am occasionally blindsided by apparently out-of-nowhere games. Dead By Daylight, a 4 v 1 multiplayer serial killer game that perhaps could be described as Until Dawn vs Evolve, would be one of those. Clearly a shit-ton of people are playing it, but it’s barely flickered on my radar until now. But is it doing so well because it’s Proper Good or just because the Steam userbase often embraces new multiplayer murder playgrounds en masse before moving on? I SHALL FIND OUT.

2. Total War: WARHAMMER

Basically: Ian Sega and Ian Creative Assembly and Ian Games Workshop have made an awful lot of money from a tabletop game setting that Ian Games Workshop unceremoniously murdered last year. (To clarify: they rebooted Warhammer in what is to all intents and purposes a brand new universe, but TWW remains in the decades-old and beloved Old World setting).

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

I woke up this morning and thought “yes, I feel it in my bones. Today’s the day that CSGO is no longer in the Steam top ten, and I won’t have to think up something stupid to write about it this week.” I was so sure.

I was so sure.

I feel as though I have been punched in the stomach. This is worse than that time a girl wouldn’t go on a second date with me because she said I wasn’t tall enough.

4. Arma 3 Apex

Arma’s on my games bucket list: I know if you get into it, you get in deep or not at all. I keep wondering whether the Apex expansion/spit’n’polish offers the best opportunity yet to get involved, or if it’s going to be a more fearsome prospect than ever.

5. DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin

Well hello there, where did you spring from, my lovely? The red-headed step-child of the Dark Souls series (i.e. the one whose development wasn’t led by series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki) makes a shock return to the charts, as a result of a deep discount to $14 last week. It’s the only of the lot I haven’t played yet, but I do hear that this second, expanded ‘Scholar Of The First Sin’ edition is a huge improvement from the base game. The sale’s over now though, I’m afraid.

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. Hearts of Iron IV

Bit of an enormo-slump from last week’s surprise number one position, but it’s still good news for the hardest of hardcore strategy. Though I do hear tell that Paradox’s WW2 grand strategicer has some lovely menus.

8. Youtubers Life

Everybody, everybody wants to be a cat YouTuber. Uninteresting fact: a YouTuber I know a bit in RL removed me from both Twitter and Facebook and I don’t know why :( Maybe this is an actual generational divide thing (see no. 1).

9. DOOM

If only you could Snapchat the monsters. Now that would be something.

I love DOOM, but I am still holding out for DLC that completely undoes the stupid, rug-pulling, face-palming ending.

10. ARK: Survival Evolved

OK, I’m getting worried ARK is going to be the new CSGO. Psst, ARK, can you bog off for a couple of weeks just so I don’t get bored of you? Here’s a short Jurassic Park clip in the meantime.

From this site

1. fish99 says:

The DOOM season pass is apparently just 3 multiplayer DLCs, so not much chance of further single player story.

2. Choca says:

Dead by Daylight’s success is not surprising considering its beta’s popularity.

Speaking of beta, the game probably could have used a couple more weeks (or months) in beta before release.

• DuncUK says:

This game looks fun, but the Steam reviews all seem to complain about the same issues; unpunished disconnections, no party system and connection problems. Seems like one to leave baking for a few more patches.

How does this compare to Evolve? I much prefer the setting of this.

• deadbydaylight says:

It has no control rebinding, no sensitivity options or resolution options as well as numerous exploits.

3. Monggerel says:

Countew-Ftwike iw Wuw. Countew-Ftwike iw Wife.

4. lupinewolf says:

Hmmm careful with Dead by Daylight.

It sounds really similar to Dead Realm, a game where one person plays the monster and other players are survivors. Currently the devs seem to have abandoned the game, there are no servers, no players, no updates. It’s actually a Dead Realm now that I think about it so I guess the hints were there all along?

Anyway, looking at the reviews for Dead by Deadlight it seems it has real problems like no party system (for a multiplayer only game!) and lots of cheese that is screwing up the gameplay.

So my point is, these concepts sound awesome but are difficult to implement correctly. I’d say lets give it more time in the oven.

• Jalan says:

Dead Realm was the one that got all that backlash for having YouTube talking heads that had a hand in developing it not disclosing their involvement with it but promoting it through their channels anyway, right?

• indiehjaerta says:

No party thing is really weird I can agree on that, but cheese most of the time just hurts the one cheesing even though it can give someone a bad experience. The problems is glitching/exploiting but you kind of expect that from a game since you need players to find those.

5. Mi-24 says:

I’ve been playing around with arma 3 apex and its great ( speaking as an Arma fan). I don’t really see how it would make it any easier to get into, especially given that you have to own the base game to get it, Which would be an added cost to new players.
    However the new Co-op campaign could be a good way to get into multiplayer and some of the new items and vehicles are a little less on the serious side of things.
    Tanoa is lovely though so if you’re already an Arma fan already I’d recommend getting it, especially whilst it’s on sale.

Alfy says:

So… Alec is small, mmhm?

7. Lintire says:

Slow news day, huh?

• wwwhhattt says:

Yup,same as last Tuesday, and the Tuesday before that, and the Tuesday before that, and…

Skabooga says:

We’re ending declarative sentences in questions now, ehhhhh?

9. Danda says:

The Friday the 13th game was supposed to cover the same ground, I think. Will it be benefitted or harmed by Dead by Daylight’s success?

10. SuicideKing says:

Definitely the case. Looking like a really good update, and it’s not the end of the road either.

@Alec you folks at RPS should play through the Arma 3 Apex Coop campaign together, maybe even record it and put it up!

And maybe even join us over at Folk ARPS ;)
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

11. heystreethawk says:

Oh, I don’t know; I think it depends on the song. “Your Cover’s Blown” is pretty hip-heavy, and “Legal Man” practically demands you swing a hula hoop around. But the band tends to attract a more shy and tender fanbase, ergo the many men at the concert too self-conscious to do more than bop their head a little in a static direction.

Me, I get a little wild to them. For example, I will close my eyes during “Lazy Line Painter Jane” and imagine myself committing minor acts of vandalism. Tracing out the phrase “SUCK IT GROWNUPS” in wet concrete, etc.

12. xfstef says:

At least you’re tall enough for a first date.

And yes, I only opened this article to read the despair filled comment regarding CS:GO still being in the top 10.

13. Darth Gangrel says:

When it comes to some games, like GTA V, Alec sure does like to play Judge Judy and Executioner.

• Shiloh says:

Yeah, but if he wants to be a big cop in a small town, he should fuck off up the model village.

• Sketchkov says:

Hot Fuzz references are always relevant.

He’s not Judge Judy and executioner!

14. Plake says:

GTAV still in the Top10? Nice, looks like i won’t run out of chances to play as random player anytime soon… =)

15. racccoon says:

When I was in steam I found most of the games I bought were hardly played or not played just shelved, that’s why I tried to leave so desperately, I hardly go there today but have too for some games as they are held to the ransom of steam. But apart from that, I think Steam is just another waste of money feast like kick-farters n such..praying on the button clickers, who later realize they made another mistake after making a mistake before that last mistake of the previous mistake. It seems no one is really reading what the hell they are doing on the net these days.

16. WJonathan says:

I found the Jeff Goldblum laughing game to be innovative and exciting for the first, say, 9 1/2 hours or so. Really resented the cliffhanger ending though.

17. Someoldguy says:

I’ve got a bunch of stuff on Steam I’ve never played, but usually because they came in a Humble Bundle of 5 games for $8 or so, which I was happy to pay for the 2 games I actually wanted. Kickstarter is the most awesome thing ever created if you’re an old school (ok, just old) RPG addict like myself. Divinity, Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and many lesser lights are now in my possession or will be soon. All so far have been well worth the outlay. You just have to pick carefully and avoid the ones that clearly haven’t got enough experience to actually bring their ideas to fruition.

• Someoldguy says:

P.S. Sorry Alec, I’m one of the guilty ones that finally got around to buying GTA V. At least you can rely on me not helping get it into the top ten next week. Maybe after the sale ends it’ll finally drop out, eh?