Hurt Me Plenty: Doom Demo Available For A Bit Longer

If you haven’t played the Doom [official site] demo yet, good news: you now have more time to play id Software’s cracking new demon-busting FPS. If you didn’t know it had a demo and don’t know why I’m talking about a demo for a ruddy flipping id Software game as they’ve gone from shareware to elven magicks only visible in moonlight, weird news: Bethesda launched the demo during the hustle and bustle of E3, originally planning to take it down after one week. I know! Wasn’t that silly? It still is but hey, at least it’s silly for a while longer.

“Due to popular demand, we’re extending the Doom Demo!” Bethesda said on Twitter. Asked what “extending” means, they responded “This was initially for E3 week only. But we figured, what the hell.” So, uh, it’s extended for an indeterminate time?

The demo contains the first campaign level from the new Doom, which we’ve said several times is pretty ace all right (well, multiplayer is a bit disappointing).

If you fancy a crack, head on over to Steam and look for the “Download Demo” button in a side bar. Play now before it vanishes (how silly!) leaving a sulphurous stench and a pentagram seared into the side of your PC.

From this site

1. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

But can you actually talk to the monsters?

Just bought this game yesterday, and it took me 14 seconds to decide that it was the best purchase I made in 2016, a year which included Dark Souls 3 and Life is Strange (for me anyway – no idea when these games were actually released)

2. gabrielonuris says:

I can’t understand why they’d came with a “time limited demo”; leave it be, for crying out loud, it’s a demo!

3. damoqles says:

The demo being time-limited is just as weirdly foolish as it not being the second level instead of the first.

4. anHorse says:

They should get rid of it ASAP dunno how good the whole game is (people seem to like it a lot) but the demo makes it seem pants.

Thulsa Hex says:

Wasn’t going to bother with it — mostly because the “aren’t we so generous(!)” tomfoolery — but what the hell. Hell.

AutonomyLost says:

I’m wowed by their altruism.

Andy_Panthro says:

I played a bit of the demo on my PS4 and was reminded that I’m absolutely unable to play shooters with a controller. Shame my PC can’t quite handle it… although perhaps if I turn all the detail down? Might give it a go at the weekend if so.

• Det. Bullock says:

I played the demo with a Radeon HD 7770 1GB video card without any particular problem, also the game looks good even with everything on low.

8. Kowie says:

Gah let the demo do its job.

9. Dominitus says:

Really wanted to know how Doom would play on my bootcamp’d Mac Pro before I even considered purchasing it. Downloaded demo. Ran great. Now will most likely purchase at some point, whereas before I wasn’t going to.

Just leave the demo up. Why wouldn’t you?

10. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Wow, a 10-minute level with 2 weapons and 3 types of enemies entirely for FREE! It’s like I’m back in the 90’s again, and shareware culture is out of control!