Trial And Terror: Limbo Free Today & Tomorrow

Limbo [official site] is a gloomy platform game with giant spiders and sparks of electricity haunting the night. It led to my favourite RPS phrase, when John and Kieron shouted at each other about the game. That phrase is “Rick Dangerous for Goths”. I’m on the fence when it comes to Limbo (being on the fence is a bit like being in Limbo) but I’d definitely recommend you try it for yourself. It’s free on Steam today and tomorrow, to celebrate the upcoming release of the studio’s follow-up, Inside.

I just spent five minutes trying to remember my favourite parts of Limbo and realised they’re all focused around the beginning of the game, in the forest, with the spider. I remember a Hotel sign later on but I’m not actually sure I ever saw the ending. My save game is on a hard drive somewhere, suspended in the middle of the game. How appropriate.

As for Inside, you can see a teasing trailer just below.

That’s coming to Xbone on June 29th and to PC a week later, on July 7th.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Bobcat says:

“Don’t make me hit you with Barthes” is probably my favourite piece of that discussion.

2. fuggles says:

Did not like. Spider bit was the best, it rapidly abandoned the premise of a mysterious world and has you pushing crates. Very short, not difficult which lead to feeling short changed and I thought the ending was going to do something very satisfying and clever, but alas did not.

Yeah, play it for free for the spider.

• Zekiel says:

…with the caveat: I am not at all arachnophobic, but the spider was very nearly too much for me. One of the most horrifying things I’ve experienced in a game. Urgh.

• LTK says:

It was revolting, stomach-churning and spine-shivering, and it managed to do that by being almost entirely devoid of gore.

3. Emeraude says:

As much as I found it a lovely little vignette, that game has nothing on Rick Dangerous.

4. elaforge says:

The section near the end with gravity reversal had amazing music / sound design. The way it gradually ramped up and synchronized with the gameplay was very effective. It’s so rare to see a soundtrack really integrate in that way.

5. Ross Angus says:

Here’s what I loved about Limbo:
    * The sound effects are extraordinary and really sell the physicality of the world
    * Likewise the physics – with nothing but a silhouette you quickly get a sense of what each object is, how heavy it is and what kind of surface it’s on
    * L saw a lot of early David Lynch in the visual style and sound design of this game – the shallow field of focus, the industrial soundscape and the quiet darkness. It’s good to see a game whose influences are wider than Super Mario 2.