Weakest Rainbow Six Siege Operators Get Buffed

If you like to play Kapkan or Mute in Rainbow Six Siege [official site], I have some great news for you: both are being buffed in today’s Update 3.3. Oh, and if you shoot your team too many times Ubisoft might ban your ass now too.

Defending is going to get a lot more interesting now that Kapkan’s trip wire gadget can be placed at any height along a doorframe. Previously, it could only be placed at a particular height and had a red screw that stuck out of the opposite wall giving attackers a pretty clear indication that a trip mine was waiting for them. After today, that red screw is gone and you’re free to position the mine at any height. The red laser’s intensity has also been reduced, making it harder to spot, and Ubisoft have even turned down the aural cues when it’s deployed. Overall, it should be a lot more deadly.

Mute has also been given a sizeable buff to his signal disruptor. It’s been increased 50% from 1.5 meters of radius to 2.25. “This range will let you jam larger areas around walls as well as reinforced ones, as well as making it almost impossible for drones to jump through,” Ubisoft says.

The patch notes also detail why these operators were buffed in the first place. “Kapkan had the 4th weakest win ratio and 2nd lowest pick rate,” the post reads. “Mute had the 5th lowest pick rate, 2nd lowest kill/death average, and 2nd lowest win rate. As players have become more experienced with the game, they know how to counter these Operators. By making these changes, we hope players will find new ways to play these Operators.”

The 3.3 patch also introduces harsher punishments for team killing by enforcing progressively longer bans for repeated offenses and could even lead to a permanent ban. Ubisoft has said that it’s something that they’ll review on a “case by case basis.”

With the new penalties in place, popping your squad in the back of the head has the following punishments:

• First offense: Banned from Ranked Matchmaking for 15 minutes, 50% renown penalty for 30 minutes.
  • Second offense: Banned from Ranked Matchmaking for 30 minutes.
  • Third offense: Banned from Ranked Matchmaking for 2 hours.
  • Fourth offense: Banned from Ranked Matchmaking for 24 hours.
  • Fifth offense: Banned from Ranked Matchmaking for 7 days.

Pretty serious stuff!

Finally, if you’re into paying for microtransactions, the renown boosters are essentially twice as effective now, letting you grind out new operators that much quicker.

Instead of taking my word for it, you should read the patch notes here and get all the info straight from that horse’s mouth.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. RegisteredUser says:

That’s neat, as is the 40% sale and the starter edition, however the one thing that is stopping me from buying this still has remained unfixed so far: Requiring Uplay and using Uplay servers for matchmaking rather than just letting me buy a steam game to buy on steam with my steam account to play with my steam friendlist.

I hate this artificially enforced “We know that you all want to play on steam, but guess what, we’re forcing you to partially support our own service even though you hate it and don’t want to use it so we can pretend we’re not running a born dead store platform” BS. *maximum frownyface*

I just want to play your game, mates. Let me. Let it go, set it free. Allow a game sold on steam to run on steam. Crikey.

• Doomlord says:

Such a stupid reason to not buy what is probably one of the best shooters to come out in a long time. SMH

• Walsh says:

Really? Is it so hard just to create another dumb account that automatically signs in so you can play a great game? It’s stupid but it’s such a minor burden it’s almost not worth bitching about.

• Haxton Fale says:

Yes? I’m not personally interested in R6:S, but I can sympathise. I wouldn’t want to buy into Ubi’s crap system, because that adds another party that might decide to pull the plug on your game(s).

And your attitudes show how easy it is for devs and publishers to get away with crap, because there will be people willing to jump through all the hoops to play a “good game” and calling everyone else silly.

• Koozer says:

Want to know a secret? Uplay is quite competent and unobtrusive.

• klops says:

Same here. After Uplay had deleted my cloud saves twice, I decided not to touch that shit. Competent was not the word I’d use when describing Uplay. If Ubisoft wants me to use that, it’s actually just good for me. Without ever playing Ubisoft games there are still too many great games and too little time.

• anHorse says:

People really really want steam to have a monopoly for some dumb reason, even though they’ve been slipping in quality for years.

• Don Reba says:

Back in the analogue communications era, before AT&T was recognized as a natural phone monopoly, there existed a number of separate networks, and one had to own several telephones just to talk to everyone with whom they needed to keep in touch. And this is where we are with game clients right now, too.

The consumer-friendly solution is to either recognize Steam as a natural monopoly or mandate that games be freely transferable between services.

• go4brendon says:

Put a cork in it.

2. The_Player says:

Except they weren’t the weakest. While Kapkan was underpowered for sure, Mute was — and arguably still is — just a niche pick, where situation demands for his presence. He wasn’t picked in casual matches as much, simply because his weapon doesn’t have an ACOG, so once people realized how powerful early pre-fire is, they decided to dump him in favor of long range operators.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

Disagree.

Mute is very useful, I use him a lot in Ranked. Not only does his device stop drones, which really helps with some final cat & mouse tactics if someone is camping in the objective room, but he also prevents Thermite from blowing through reinforced walls, as well as preventing breach charges (useful to pair with Castle’s walls).

Much more useless (or in need to be buffed) operators:
      Twitch (his shock drone is very underwhelming, I rarely see him used in Ranked)
      Tachanka (IMO, people don’t use because it’s too easy to snipe from the turret, even after buffing his ability to put turrets closer to walls)
      IQ (Almost everyone uses Nitro more as a grenade, like players do with C4 in COD games, rendering her ability somewhat ineffective)
      Doc (I personally like him, but his revive ability is somewhat pointless since attackers 95% of the time still have FOV of the body, and opportunities to revive a team mate and them actually survive more than 3 seconds is very rare)

Just my opinion, but seems that gamerevolution agrees…

link to gamerevolution.com

3. JKing Zheng says:

4. Symarian says:

Goddammit Ubi, release this game in my region already

5. Banks says:

The Kapkan buff is GLORIOUS.