Sonic The Hedgehog’s Humble Birthday Blowout Bundle

Sonic the Hedgehog turns 25 on Thursday, which is a good cause to pull out the interactive photo book and look at how we once were. “Coo, remember when we hadta to fast?” you ask, jabbing at his cute pink belly in the picture. He frowns and tugs unconsciously at his neckerchief – give him a few years. “Ahh and remember when we wantedta go fast?” you ask, leafing through more pages. “Then… then we shouldnta gone fast. I’m sorry, I…” You take his gloved hand. “How are you really doing?”

All of which can only mean that Humble Bundle have a load of Sonic games in their latest pay what-you-want dealio. Some of them are quite good!

It’s the usual tiered arrangement: the more you pay, the more you get. All come as Steam keys.

Paying at least $1( £70p) would get you ye olde Sonic the Hedgehog from the Mega Drive (now with Sega’s weird virtual room), Sonic Adventure DX from the Dreamcast, the not-great Sonic 3D Blast (oh, the early days of 3D platformers!), and Sonic CD.

Paying more than the current average ($8.99/£6.27 as I write this) would also get you kart racer Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (the best Sonic?), Sonic Adventure 2, and the modern-ish Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1.

Extra games will be added to that tier later. Presumably one is Sonic 3, unless Sonic is snubbing Knuckles. Birthday drama!

Then $10 (£7.05) or more would get you all those plus pretty-great-or-so-I-hear-anyway karting sequel Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Generations, Sonic 4: Episode 2, and Sonic Lost World.

That is a great many Sonics.

From this site

1. bv728 says:

Sonic Generations is fabu, easily a top 5 sonic game even with 3d segments.

Herzog says:

Oh this is tempting. But do I really want them to add to my backlog? I was beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel…

• Darth Gangrel says:

Haha, I’m like this as well, though I’m no Sonic fan. I’ve been going through my old games with a staggering resolve and zeal, but now the Steam Summer Sale is close upon us.

When I look at my achievements (i.e. not worthless “kill 50 enemies” achievements) I see that I’ve only done about 1/3, so the question is whether I should add more games to the pile.

• MajorLag says:

Really? Impressive. I don’t expect to even have time to install 2 thirds of my Steam collection until retirement.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I counted my finished game amount compared to my total amount and the results were 35 out of 79, i.e. 35 % finished. I don’t know how good that is, but it’s a lot better than a year ago.

• Carra says:

Same here. Even started a category “To Play” which contains 40 of my 700+ steam games. Hell, it’ll take years to go through those 40 alone.

3. gbrading says:

Minor correction but Sonic’s birthday is Thursday rather than Wednesday; 23rd June 1991 is when Sonic the Hedgehog originally released in North America and Europe (Japan later).

Fairly good way to get most of Sonic’s iconic games if you don’t have them already.

4. Author X says:

A surprisingly good collection of Sonic games, though most of them I have already.

The free comics are nice, though. I was recently wondering about the comics since they were rebooted a few years ago (the Vol 1 and Vol 2 are the first in the “Post Super Genesis Wave” rebooted continuity) but there’s so many it would be a big investment to catch up (not to mention the spinoffs). I wish they’d run a Humble Sonic Comics Bundle so I could nab the rest.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What!? No Sonic Dreams Collection?

X_kot says:

“Remember when you had your first kiss with a human…hey, where’d that photo go?”

• BobisOnlyBob says:

As one of those poor, miserable bastards who actually finished that game, it ended with Sonic and that human girl traveling back in time and removing the antagonist before it even came into existence, retroactively undoing every event that occurred in the game, including their memories of it. So no photos, no evidence, and most importantly, no human-hedgehog romance. Bleugh.

Excluding the ending cutscene, the events of the game are thus erased from the Sonic the Hedgehog series’ timeline.

X_kot says:

I’m surprised more game series don’t use this conceit. Publisher handing over the reins to a new dev with a wild take on a beloved franchise? Make your story write itself out of the canon! That way, fans can ignore it if they hate it; if they love it, the sequel can canonize it.

7. Jalan says:

Each tier is a single redemption key. If I didn’t have about 80% of what’s up there (and likely the remainder of whatever they add) then I’d buy it but with the knowledge that the remainder would be wasted/go nowhere on redemption it’s a pass.

• KDR_11k says:

Just pay less to match the smaller amount you get?

• Jalan says:

That’s a bit impossible, since what I don’t have is in the highest fixed price tier.

8. satan says:

As somebody who fell on his Sega sword in the console wars, the Sonic all stars racing game had me squealing with joy (I never, EVER do that) at the levels, characters and the glorious music remixes cobbling together some of my favourite soundtracks into delicious medleys.
    It is also just a really fun arcade racer.

• mukuste says:

As someone who has no SEGA nostalgia whatsoever and hasn’t even really played much Sonic except for a few times at a childhood friend’s place, I can confirm that S&AS Racing Transformed is an utterly fantastic kart racer, and has surprisingly deep mechanics. There’s a LOT of gameplay there even when you treat it as a single player game.

9. Meat Circus says:

Sonic Generations. The only Sonic 3D game that doesn’t make you want to gouge out your own eyes with your toes.

10. Sic says:

What kind of versions are these? Are they ports? Running on emulators (if so, which ones?)?

• BobisOnlyBob says:

All the classic era titles run in Sega’s own emulation environment, “SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics”, with its odd 3D 90’s bedroom hub.

11. bill says:

Unless you are in Japan, because Sega (like most japanese companies) is determined to price gouge japanese consumers to the max… and it would never do if japanese consumers could buy games cheaply.
    They might start expecting not to get ripped off on other things too… tut tut!