Not Our One: Unity Shows Off Cinematic Demo Adam

Unity’s latest swish tech demo is Adam, a sci-fi short story about a naughty robot in a nasty future. It’s quite pretty! They plan to release a downloadable version for folks to run on their own computers, but right now you can watch the whole thing right here:

Pretty, that. And a nice self-contained little story. Unity showed a short version at GDC in March, but this is the full cut. Here it’s running in 1440p on a GeForce GTX 980.

“It’s built to showcase and test out the graphical quality achievable with Unity in 2016,” Unity say. The demo’s built on beta versions of Unity 5.4 with their soon-to-be-released cinematic sequencer tool, and uses some other tools and technological tricks which are either for sale in the Unity asset store or will be released free soon.

I realise that non-devs having favourite engines is so 1999 but I do have a soft spot for Unity lately. It may be the foundation of flashy games like Firewatch, Superhot, Hearthstone, and Grow Home, but what I really dig is the smaller, weirder games enabled by this relatively friendly and undemanding game dev environment. Thanks for the weird cool games, Unity! And sure, the fancy stuff is fine too.

I don’t know, my heart’s just not in engine wars any more. I can still shout that Quake 2 has the best movement physics of any first-person game, quirks and all, but that’s not the same is it? Important to distinguish between games and the technology they’re built on, isn’t it? Weird how some folks nowadays sneer “Unity game”, isn’t it?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JarinArenos says:

I thought this came out a month or more ago.

2. Kefren says:

SOMA + ABC Warriors

3. SMGreer says:

It bothers me that so often these peculiar tech demo’s look vastly more interesting than a lot of the games to come out of the Engine. Unreals “Samaritan” demo has the bones of a game far more entertaining than anything Epic’s actually doing.

Unity might be the exception tho, since whilst there’s nothing quite like nomadic Robo-samurai liberating their enslaved brethren, there are plenty of strange and interesting games coming out of Unity these days, as Alice pointed out in the article.

But gosh darn I sure would love to see this demo turned into a game of some kind.

4. Faxmachinen says:

There’s a blooper at 2:23, on the right.

• Faxmachinen says:

Just pretend the above is a link to the video at youtube with the time_continue parameter set to 140, instead of an embedded thing which ignores said parameter completely.

• Don Reba says:

Nice attention to detail.

• zbeeblebrox says:

What kind of blooper exactly? I’m having trouble noticing anything, although I’m also on mobile so it’s pretty much a given that I’m missing lots of details :P

5. SuicideKing says:

Why was that robot breathing? The way it was behaving seemed to suggest a human brain transplanted into a mechanical body…

6. wcq says:

Cool. The design of the bots looks very Nihei-inspired to me.

7. Jokerme says:

That’s what it’s suggesting. A human brain in a machine. Breathing sound helps psychologically since it suggests you are still alive.

8. Jetsetlemming says:

The directorial style reminded me a lot of MGSV, which is a good thing. I imagine simulating a fake cameraman with the natural subtle movements that brings is way more work than a non-dev would ever expect. Wonder if they’ve got a trick to automate that?

9. racccoon says:

Ahh…FREEDOM! It was nicely made, could it be a game I doubt it, but some really brilliant work created there. Great job.

10. SlimShanks says:

Oh that was neat. You can never have too many robo-samurai.