Fable Card Game Cancels Kickstarter, Finds New Funding

Remember a month ago when Pip told you that Fable Fortune [official site] was a card game from ex-Lionhead developers seeking funding through Kickstarter? Sike! The developers have announced they’ve received “additional funding” that no longer requires them to use crowdsourcing to make their game. Oh lord, you should see your faces right now!

Okay but on a more serious note, this is a good thing for Fable Fortune. It was very unlikely that Flaming Fowl Studios would reach their £250,000 goal, as with about a week left in the campaign they had only raised £58,852. Despite the apparent lack of interest, evidently someone believes that Fable Fortune could be a success. That probably has to do with the fact that, despite Microsoft putting Lionhead down like Old Yeller, Fable still has a little bit of oomph left in its name. And hey, card games are the bee’s knees right now.

In a Kickstarter update post yesterday, Flaming Fowl announced that they’d be closing down the Kickstarter campaign and quickly pivoting to building a closed beta build.

“Thanks to your enthusiasm and support, we are happy to announce that we’ve successfully secured additional development funding! This, alongside our ongoing personal investment, will mean that we can continue to improve the game and allow even more of you to start playing,” the update reads. “With the immediate future of Fable Fortune now secure, we have taken the decision to end our Kickstarter campaign early to focus on releasing a Closed Beta build as quickly as possible.”

The video above will give you a decent sense of how Fortune will work, and it’s pretty similar to Hearthstone in a lot of regards. Where it differs is with quests you select at the beginning of a match that can impact how everything plays out, and with a morality mechanic where your heroes can gain different abilities depending on whether they want to be evil or good.

Flaming Fowl Studios are apparently hard at work on a beta client now, and you can already sign up for access to the closed beta here. Those who backed and received an alpha build will be able to continue to use it until the closed beta is ready, at which point they’ll be able to migrate over and play the newer version.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. HefHughner says:

Launching another card game… based on an IP thats dead and buried by M$… i want their optimism. Really. Give it to me. Im such a pessimist. Life would be better, perhaps.

2. Pantalaimon says:

One day they will stop trying to make Fable games, and on that day we will sit our children down and tell them about the first game and how it was kind of okay.

But today is not that day.

Seriously though: please stop trying to make Fable games. It wasn’t a particularly original series in the first place but it’s 2016, time to move on with your lives, devs.

• Kestrel says:

Great soundtrack, though. Heck, I modded the Fable OST into much of World of Warcraft, during my Wow days. It brought value to an otherwise lifeless experience, so I have Lionhead to thank for that. Or at least Russell Shaw and Danny Elfman.

• Pantalaimon says:

Yeah, it was very evocative music. So much so that listening to it kind of conjures up a fantastical adventure, something truly exciting – but a game that didn’t exist.

Perhaps Fable was just a little ahead of its time, perhaps with today’s technology it would be some open-world procedural masterpiece, but then again, probably not.

• Veles says:

I don’t think any Lionhead game quite hit the mark.

I quite enjoyed all three Fable games but they definitely were well below their potential and much more popular than a game of average quality should have been.

Perhaps it was a mix of celebrity voices and British humour that pushed it up a bit.

• Freud says:

The whole good/evil idea is brilliant. But coming up with a great idea is the easy/fun part of creating something. Lionhead didn’t do to well with the hard/boring parts of creating the game so the idea was somewhat wasted.

• Pantalaimon says:

Yeah, I think that’s right. And I am sure Molyneux had a large hand in those great ideas, I still remember his story of how he came up with the idea for Dungeon Keeper whilst stuck in traffic. That story still inspires me in my own creative ventures, the sense that ideas can and will appear out of nowhere. But as you say, ideas must be tied into the nitty gritty of the design at large, and that’s the real trick.

I don’t quite know what changed after Bullfrog, it’s something that we can speculate on forever, but in the end it’s just really sad how it all turned out.

3. DevronHubbard says:

This game has some pretty neat features. I’m glad they’re still working on it. I wasn’t willing to back it, but I’m more than happy to give it a shot once it releases.

4. Raoul Duke says:

I can’t be the only one here who is heartily sick of hearing about card games you can play on your computer. These things deserve the same level of coverage as gaming sites give to solitaire and chess games, IMHO.

• Commander Gun says:

I can;t disagree more. I love them. I used to play Magic on a semi-competetive level. But those saturdays in a hall playing a tournament, although fun, just aren;t possible. Work, family life and such. However, i love card games still and with card games on a computer i can play a competetive game whenever i want, which is mostly in the evenings. And i can play vs friends whom have exactly the same situation :)

• Eclipse says:

No you are not alone, there are definitely other people that like you that never played a trading card game in their entire life and don’t even know what they are talking about and yet do similar comments

• Palladian says:

I understand this point of view in the sense that we wouldn’t expect gaming sites to cover direct translations of physical games to PC, but it exposes a flawed understanding of PC card games like Heathstone, Scrolls and presumably this. If you’re making a digital card game you almost always incorporate elements that utilize the platform you’re running it on.

As a result games like Heathstone have a large random element and lots of stat buffs and debuffs that’d be difficult to track in, say, Magic: The Gathering. Likewise Scrolls had a board you move units around and effects that applied to different rows and columns which would also be tedious to track without the aid of a computer. PC card games are as much ‘PC’ games as they are card games.

5. Commander Gun says:

Speaking about card games of famous IPs:
    Did i miss it or didn;t you do any news or review of Chronicle: Runescape Legends?
    It is imho the best card game since Hearthstone, having a refreshing take on the genre. I haven’t played Runescape ever, but still fell in love with this card game, to the point of forgetting my dailies in HS in favor of playing htis game more :)

6. froz says:

“Quests and Morality”

Ahahahahaha… Seriously, I don’t think I’ve seen anything more absurd in the past few weeks.

7. Louis Mayall says:

Surely it’s ‘psych!’, not ‘sike!’. But since no one has said it since the 90s, perhaps we’ll never know

8. Freud says:

Do people really care about Fable lore enough for there to be big interest in a game like this in a genre where there already is a super polished juggernaut?

9. Turkey says:

Let the fight for table scraps commence!