Totally Mega, Man: Mighty No. 9 Released

Mighty No. 9 [official site], the crowdfunded Mega Man ’em up from Mega Man co-creator Keiji Inafune’s new studio, is out today. Our review is still in the works but Wot Others Think seems not wholly positive. I could tell you to wait for our say then bosh in the launch trailer and call it a day but oh my gosh, I am fascinated by its launch livestream. While many video game launch streams are hype-o-ramas, this is also a bit of a post-mortem, disarmingly earnest and mildly apologetic after seeing the first wave of launch reviews. It’s surprisingly human.

But first, the game: Mighty No. 9 is very Mega Man-y, as you’d expect. A little robot man runs, jumps, and air-dashes through 2.5D levels zapping robots and ultimately facing a series of mighty bosses. Its little twist on the formula is getting power-ups from every robot if you dash through ’em at the right time.

It’s out for Windows on Steam, with Mac and Linux versions still to come, for £15.99/19,99€/$19.99. Well, out in the Americas. We’re still waiting in Europe. That Eurogamer lot say it has good things going on but is difficult in silly ways; others are less favourable. Have a launch trailer:

So, that launch livestream! You might’ve seen folks on this here Internet swinging quotes like “At the end of the day, even if it’s not perfect, it’s better than nothing.” Which, yep, they do say, but it’s in the context of a stream where they’ve been talking about mistakes they’ve made and troubles they’ve faced. How they’re frustrated about cyberpeople throwing its $3.8 million crowdfunding total back at them as if they blew it all on lollipops – as if that’s even the budget they had, when fees and rewards and whatnot mean they only got about 60% to make the game. How they realised too late how foolish it was to commit to launching on ten platforms at once. How the game faced years longer in the light than most non-crowdfunded games, leading to both hype dying down and expectations being inflated. How making a game is more difficult and expensive than most people realise. How it’s tired and stressed them. How they’re still proud of it. Devs want their games to be good too, you know.

I wouldn’t call it riveting viewing but, if you have a quiet mo, you might want to pop the stream on in the background while you do something else. Weirdly disarming games happenings. Or fuel to gloat over some imagined victory, if that’s what you like.

From this site

1. Halk says:

Mighty No. Nein

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Some things meet expectations, and some don’t. Personally I have quite enjoyed it (never played mega man so take from that what you will), and I quite liked inafune’s honesty and humility over the whole affair. I’ll take that any day over the horseshit machine that was Peter Molypoo with Godus, and he had about a thousand second chances from his fans. Inafune deserves one second chance at least?

2. Ushao says:

And the crowd goes mild. Seriously, though. All the reviews about it from both reviewers and players make me glad I didn’t end up backing it after all. I had reservations when the gorgeous 2d concept art turned into bland 3d gameplay and I’m sad to say they seem to be panning out.. I’m really disappointed, I loved Mega Man.

• Aspirant_Fool says:

2.5d and nothing else made me hold off on pre-ordering this. Who makes up the focus groups that seem to want that? Hollow Knight was featured here earlier today and looks gorgeous. All these guys had to do was take whoever drew the concept art and say, “Here’s half a million dollars, do that like 20,000 more times but with little differences every time.” God knows they had the time for it with how often this was delayed.

• Lim-Dul says:

I am flabbergasted that they chose to go with the style of later Mega Man titles (like around the PlayStation era), which close to nobody likes, and stuff annoying gameplay-interrupting custscenes into the whole thing.
        Shovel Knight (among others) has shown the world how to do a proper follow-up to a NES-Classic. Heck, they didn’t even need to go with the NES-era – Mega Man 9 and 10 did that already. They could have made a spiritual successor to the Mega Man X series on the SNES and the world would have loved them for that…

• Rizlar says:

Lols.

3. Emeraude says:

Been giving this a roll (pun intended), and while I’m finding it disappointingly mediocre overall, I find the whole negative reception and schadenfreude overblown, if understandable. Random impressions:

I’m surprised to find the game on the easy side (one level left to go in roughly an hour and half, main weapon only) given some comments I picked about difficulty. Granted, I’m a Megaman veteran, so it may skew things.

I could forgive the game’s lack of flair in visual department if it didn’t make the game barely legible at times, which lessens even further the dash mechanic, and I have a feeling said mechanic is either a design dead end they identified too late in development to be able to back down, or something they bolted down on the way without ever working the kinks right.

The focus on speed-run/score doesn’t really work and makes the level design feel disjointed, like there’s two games in there, fighting.

Game looks average so far. Which is quite often a worse sin than being bad.

4. Bluestormzion says:

People were really beating the shit out of this game and Mr. Inafune over this development. In the end, he gives us what he wanted to make, what we sponsored, just a little late. To me, that’s okay. And I for one got the game I hoped for.

5. kalirion says:

I’d check it out, but I’m too busy crying while thinking of prom night.

6. Janichsan says:

It’s out for Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steam…

If it only where… but in fact, only the Windows version is currently available. Mac and Linux versions are still nowhere to be seen.

7. Geebs says:

So: if the die-hard Mega Man fans aren’t responding particularly well to this, is it likely to appeal to someone who never thought Mega Man was much cop in the first place, or are Comcept just doubling down on the series’ less enjoyable attributes?

• Emeraude says:

I don’t think so, per my comment up there. The dash-absorb mechanic doesn’t gel well with classic Megaman gameplay, but there is enough of said gameplay that the dash never comes onto its own either.

Mostly every level has those forced stop “rooms” where you have to fight spawning groups of enemies, and those to me are basically the admission of defeat of the designers: they couldn’t make the dash-absorb thing work well enough in classic Megaman levels, so they just gave you rooms where you could pause the traversal necessities and dash away at enemies.

• SomeDuder says:

The thing is, the controls of the Megaman games were extremely tight. This game, on the other hand, just looks too floaty.

The satAM cartoony crap doesn’t help either.

8. Yachmenev says:

I really like the tone in this article, with a more understanding view point rather then mob mentality that so many other sites jumped on. Bad game is bad game of course, but there can be more to it then “better then nothing”.

Well done Alice. I hope to see more of this on RPS.

9. ZombieFX says:

“At the end of the day, even if it’s not perfect, it’s better than nothing.”

/// false.
    Its not 1991 and there are no games. There are plenty. Many steam used buy 3x more than. Playable…

A bad game ain’t better that nothing. A bad game is bad.. And there are plenty good ones out. Even the originals still exist. Hint hint….

Waste of money.

• ZombieFX says:

Ps. since soon is steamsale, Remember:there is no good deal, for a bad game.

Alfy says:

This is so confusing.

• FroshKiller says:

Allow me to translate:

“At the end of the day, even if it’s not perfect, it’s better than nothing.”

False. A bad game isn’t better than nothing. A bad game is bad! It isn’t 1991, when there were no games and you had to be satisfied with what you had. There are plenty of better games out there. Some Steam users buy more games than they can play! Not to mention the fact that the original games that inspired this bad one are still available. Buying a bad game is just a waste of money.

Speaking of wasting money, since there is a Steam sale soon, remember: There is no such thing as a good deal for a bad game.

• Legion23 says:

In my opinion a bad game is not just bad but even worse than no game. We already have so many examples of sequels or reboots (or “reimagined” stuff) going bad. There are alot of franchises I wish they would have left dead and in peace.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

No, a mediocre game is worse than no game. A bad game can at least be fascinating as a lesson in what not to do. A mediocre game is just pixels in the wind.

10. Turkey says:

I think the main reservation I have is that the backgrounds look really bland. I’m not sure why that bothers me so much.

11. vorador says:

Few times i’ve seen such a disdain for a game. Not in RPS, but from other sites and people. People are parroting the line “it’s better than nothing” everywhere.

It’s the Daikatana effect. The bigger you are, the more on the spotlight you put yourself, the harder the fall when you fail.

12. genoforprez says:

It doesn’t really bother me if M#9 is not all that great. A thing that really bothers me, though, is when you have a veteran game designer who people have celebrated for decades, but one time he makes a game that is only “not bad” instead of “excellent” and for some reason that negates all of the awesome work he’s ever done and he’s just an incompetent schlub now. This, apparently, is how the internet thinks. And not just in regard to Inafune. Makes me a little sad.

• Emeraude says:

As they say in the industry: “you’re only as good as your last game”.

13. SuperTim says:

What I noticed when I see people playing the game or reading the reviews, is that there’s this feeling that people are not good at the game, and they blame the game for that.

I’m not saying the game doesn’t have its problems, but when people who have no clue how to play them complain the game is not very good, then it’s hard for me to distinguish what between the actual review and what was made up in the mind of the reviewer.

And I ended up finding the problems with the game, but none of the reviews I’ve read actually mentioned about those. I’m probably just a bit disappointed about that.