Europa Universalis IV Gives Away Free Swedish Songs

What if Paradox Interactive are a shadowy front for the Swedish tourist board? What if they’re being nice – with all these lovely games and free DLC – to lure us to lonely lakes and forests? What then? We all know what the UK government did with The Beatles. Now, I’m not saying this is true, but the latest free bit of DLC supports my theory completely. A collection of 18th-century Swedish songs from poet and composer Carl Michael Bellman is now resonating around Europa Universalis IV [official site] in free DLC, ostensibly to selling Paradox selling many games but… if you download this and start pining for pine, don’t come crying to me for help.

The Fredman’s Epistles DLC is free to grab on Steam until July 4th, after which Paradox will start charging $1.99.

“5 songs from Fredman’s Epistles have been arranged from Carl Michael Bellman’s original works by composer Tobias Gustavsson with performances by Mikael Samuelson, Swedish baritone singer and actor,” Paradox explain. You’ll get to rock out to classics including ‘Träd fram du nattens gud’ and ‘Glimmande Nymph! blixtrande öga!’, and who could ever forget ‘Drick ur ditt glas, se Döden på dig väntar’?

Oh, and Paradox’s reason for this Swedefest? Hearts of Iron IV has sold over 200,000 copies, Stellaris is past 500,000 copies, and Europa Universalis IV itself is over one million.

And now I’m missing salmiak. Thank, Sweden.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Lanfranc says:

“… start pining for pine…”

With Bellman, you’re more likely to start whining for wine.

Jekadu says:

Loosely translated (this is 18th century Swedish) the three songs mentioned above are:

“Step Forward O God of the Night”
    “Glittering Nymph! flashing eye”
    “Drink from your glass, for Death awaits thee”

I always thought Bellman’s stuff was kind of weird…

• Darth Gangrel says:

I had some fun imagining non-swedes trying to read/pronounce that, but then you had to go ahead and translate it, boo!

Anyway, this is one of those moments where I’m proud to be Swedish. The kind where I don’t have anything to do with the thing in question, I just happen to be born there.

Jekadu says:

There’s another 15 or so songs which I’ll leave up to the imagination.

Lars Westergren says:

I have a gift for you if you send me a private message in the RPS forums, Jekadu. Username “LarsWestergren”.

Jekadu says:

Double reply: dammit, I forgot to pick up some salt liquorice candy today, and the shops close early since it’s Midsummer.

3. xenothaulus says:

So could I get these and listen to them without having EUIV? I’m always keen to discover new music.

• Christoffre says:

You just need to search on YouTube. While you can’t find any of the arrangement specific to EUIV (yet) they are all the same songs, just played by different musicians.

Here’s two examples…

“Träd fram du nattens Gud” – “Step Forward O’ God of the Night”
      link to

“Glimmande Nymf” – “Glittering Nymph”

Serrit says:

Beautiful, thank you. Love how he pulls those bass notes out of nowhere. /shivers

4. WJonathan says:

From the birds’ perspective, that’s a horrifying picture.

5. mouton says: