RPS Asks: Are You A Game Leaver?

The penalties for leaving a competitive match of Overwatch [official site] look to be pretty significant. A Reddit screenshot of a warning message from the Overwatch public test realm reads:

“Repeatedly leaving games will result in a 75% penalty to XP earned. Additionally, you can be suspended from competitive play for increasing periods of time, up to receiving a ban for the entire season.”

But how prone are you, the RPS readers, to leaving multiplayer games early?

The reason I ask is that fear of low priority systems like you get in Dota 2 has conditioned me to not abandon a match EVER if I can help it. The exception for me was when a housemate came into my room in tears and clearly being a human being took priority. But otherwise I’ll do anything to avoid those abandons because low prio is so hellish.

It hadn’t occurred to me that I’d internalised that system until I realised I’d had the same fear of abandoning games when they clearly didn’t have a system in place to penalise you.

Broadly I’d say the impulse leads to nicer play because you’re less likely to leave teammates in the lurch, screwing a match by leaving because you had other things to do or didn’t fancy playing anymore even though you were ahead. It means I’m far less likely to play unless I know I can commit the time a match needs. That feels like a net win for the community more broadly, but I was chatting with a friend as part of a podcast and he’s far more comfy just quitting out when he’s had enough or when real life intervenes.

I found that I… not exactly envied the approach, but I did find myself thinking back over matches I clearly didn’t want to play any more and how that compulsion to stay and avoid punishment has sometimes led to me just spending time doing something I no longer enjoy.

I’ll stress that the severe penalties mentioned above apply to the competitive mode of Overwatch rather than regular play, so you can see why the developers would want to discourage leavers as much as possible – you want matches to be as fair as possible and for everyone to invest in the whole duration. My question is more about your attitudes to leaving in general.

So, do you leave or do you stay? Are you conditioned by low priority threats to treat abandoned games as the worst of the worst or are you from the drift-in-drift-out chaotic server school of thought? Is your responsibility to fellow players or to your own time resources?

From this site

Dorga says:

I could ask you the same question, England.

Flavour Beans says:

Okay, I giggled. A lot.

• Abacus says:

Less Brexit more Bragequit.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

You could, but the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish will probably moan about being left out :)

AutonomyLost says:

This is nearly identical to what I first thought to reply in the midst of reading the article.

The Brits have about another 25 minutes to decide it looks like.

Xan says:

In case you didn’t know, this applies to non-competitive play as well – not the bans but -75% penalty.

As for Overwatch specifically, I stay till the bitter end, even if we’re being stomped. I’m more prone to loathing if my performance is subpar, not the team’s. Disconnecting mid-match is far more disruptive, hence the penalty.

• Philippa Warr says:

Fair point, I meant the suspensions as the severe penalties but should maybe have made that clearer!

Syt says:

I’m the same. I rather try to make the best of a bad situation, and often a match can still turn on a dime through a lucky ultimate, or changing up the hero composition. There’s been many cases where the payload was almost home, and then the attackers got stuck. I think there’s few matches that are 100% decided till the very end, even if it looks like a stomp till then.

• mrbright01 says:

Very much this. I had one group playing Defense in Dorado. The other team pushed they payload non-stop almost the entire game, just chewed through us. Near the end, something must have clicked for my team, because we did an almost group-wide hero swap, went out there, and stopped the payload… at 0.2. Nothing felt better than holding that back for most of the match time (6 minutes, if I recall). There’s always a chance to turn it around if nobody quits.

Then, there was the time our team was down to 4 players.. ugh. That sucked.

3. Mechlord says:

Was Chris crying about spaceships?

4. Daerth says:

Overall I have a similar approach to you – I do what I can to stick it out, and only ever leave in the middle of a match/run if I really have to because of real life. Otherwise I’ll stick it out, but as you mention that leads to some bitter experiences as well…

• Person of Interest says:

I have no qualms about leaving mid-match if someone or something in my home needs my attention, or I get a phone call. Matchmaking will sub someone in, so the period of my (former) team’s short-handedness is equivalent to my dying 1-2 times. No big deal.

I don’t understand why anyone would be bitter about staying until the end of a match. A truly lopsided game will be over in a 2-3 minutes, but you don’t really know if a game is hopeless until you’ve actually lost. I see stagnant teams makes sudden pushes all the time. The only thing that bothers me in the game is negative attitude, and I don’t need to leave the match in order to mute anyone that slurs or gripes in chat.

(Speaking of which: what’s the difference between “mute” and “block”? I already have all voice comms disabled.)

• Tacroy says:

In Overwatch, yes. In a MOBA-style game? Not necessarily.

5. Lakshmi says:

This is an appropriately timed article for the UK. I remain in games even if they go to shit. I’m not playing competitive Overwatch, just standard, but unless it was a real life ‘must be done right now thing’, I’d stay in.

6. Whippyice says:

I used to leave a game mid match when i was younger, for varying reasons,
    embarrassment of performing poorly, being billeted by other players, rage,

these days a wise more skilled wise gamer i simply see it through to the end, tell the A holes to F themselves, and i try to stick up for the people that are being looked down on,

• mrbright01 says:

.. and feed the Zarya? Jeeze, man, stop shooting her shield already!

;) Messing with yah. I understand. I prefer to assume if my team is doing inexplicably bad that the people playing are practicing a new character for them or soemthing. Might explain the “reaper sniper” shooting across the map at a actual sniper.

johannsebastianbach says:

Almost never. In CS:GO losing a teammate is a pretty significant disadvantage (even if s/he was the worst player in the team), so I try to do it as seldom as possible myself.

In my experience you don’t even need penalties to achieve a low leaving rate – a very clear message when queuing seems to be sufficient for most of the players (à la “only click Accept if you know for sure you’ve got an hour to play”).

There’s one exception though and I think it proves why penalties aren’t the best solution either:
    Most leavers I come across are kids to queue at 10 p.m., have a discussion with their parents at 10.05, start flaming, griefing, shooting their teammates etc. until they are kicked by unnerved teammates. All to avoid a competitive cooldown (which takes 7 days for repeat offenders in CS:GO). This way they’re an even bigger liability to their team than by just leaving.

I should add: With normal behaviour (like me, only leaving if the kids are waking up or the likes) there’s no way to get a cooldown longer than 30 minutes – which shouldn’t bother you at all, since you had to leave the game in the first place.

Did that make sense? I shall not think so. In conclusion: tricky topic.

8. GameCat says:

I only care for my fun, so when the fun in multiplayer game stops I bail out. Sorry.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed, and sometimes real life intervenes and you have to leave unexpectedly anyway. Systems that penalize having a life outside of the game are lousy. (This goes for you too, restricted savegame systems in singleplayer.)

• Agnosticus says:

But when does the game stop to be fun? When you’re losing? Then either the game is rubbish or you a dush and you should be punished IMO.

Sure there are good reasons for people to leave mid-game, but in my experience it’s mostly people who can’t deal with losing a game. And by doing so they are most likely actively destroying the experience for everybody (or at least for the team).

• MajorLag says:

And frankly, that’s as it should be. They are called “games” for a reason, and outside of organized competitive or ranked play, they should be played for pure enjoyment.

Here’s the thing, though: losing doesn’t have to be unfun. I fondly recall the days of Natural Selection <= v1.04 where loosing, at least for one side, was almost as fun as winning. It was called Alamoing. When the marines were doomed, Onos stormed every corridor, the server was straining under the weight of all the Walls of Lame, and the aliens even had multiple Gorges in defiance of all logic, as if to serve as a testament to their limitless res, that's when the Marines would Alamo.

Holed up in spawn, keeping the aliens at bay long enough for your single res node to build up enough to loadout some heavies and cover them in med-spam, then the gloriously doomed attempt to push out through the horde and claim even an inch more territory. Or distract the enemy long enough to let a jetpack ninja his way to some far off, and hopefully forgotten, corner of the map to stealthily build a phase gate. That shit could keep a game that had already run for 10 hours going for another 2. Generally, people didn't F4.

The opposite, unfortunately, was very much not true. Losing as aliens sucked, largely consisting of sklulking around and waiting to be murdered by the incoming heavy train, too armored up and covered with med-spam for your un-upgraded body to deal with.

Ah memories. Anyway, the point is that I think this is a game design problem and, if one desires to solve it, one should do so with design, by making losing more entertaining, or at least faster, rather than by forcing players through boring and/or frustrating gameplay for fear of punishment.

• mrbright01 says:

I somewhat disagree, in this specific game. Making losses happen faster robs the winners of any fun, and makes the loss even worse for the losers as they get trashed. The matches are already short, making them shorter has little benefit.

Mind you, this is about Overwatch. In a MOBA or a much longer matched game, I can see that being a good choice.

I personally feel a special “Loser’s Winner” thing like Play of the Game would be nice, a sort of PotG from just the losing team to lift their spirits and show someone managed to do something, but that’s just me.

• Shadow says:

I fully agree that it’s up to the game’s design to maintain the fun even on losing scenarios. It’s a major challenge most games fail at. Playing Overwatch, I often find myself facing frustration instead of fun, generally when matches are not going my way. So the result is that, lately, playing Overwatch has been feeling like a waste of time, equal parts fun and frustration as I grind for the goddamn boxes which most of the time yield useless voice lines or worse, sprays.

Nevertheless, whenever you engage in multiplayer gaming of this scale, you’re committing to other real people around the world, and it’s everyone’s responsibility to be decent and not screw up the others’ experience. If you’re not having fun, fine, but show some decency and quit -after- the match. It’s not like these are 30-45 minute LoL showdowns: Overwatch rounds are usually over within 15 minutes. If your attitude’s going to be the harmful “MY fun first, screw everyone else”, might as well do everyone a favour and stay away from team-based MP games.

Nauallis says:

I would go so far as to expand “My fun first, screw everyone else” to needing to avoid MP games in general. This is the kind of attitude that leads to cheating and game hacks – regardless of a team basis or not.

If only it were that simple though.

• fatherjack says:

Quitting a game (and doing something else) is different to quitting matches when you are losing then starting up another match.

The first shouldn’t be penalised, the second probably should.

I generally consider the effect of my leaving on my team before doing so, sometimes I feel I would be doing them a favour to stop using up spawn tickets/scoring own goals.

Topperfalkon says:

It depends on the game. I think any FPS I find myself pulling out if it gets too frustrating. On the other hand, I never quit Rocket League matches if I can help it. This might be partly because RL rewards you significantly more for just taking part than you typically earn during the game, making the value of match completion a lot higher than how well the game actually went

10. Steven Hutton says:

In something like Overwatch where being behind doesn’t actually weaken me not at all. In a game without a slippery slope of falling ever further behind and each failure making subsequent failures more likely there’s no reason to quit early.

Especially in Overwatch really as in addition to having no slippery slope it also has it’s share of comeback mechanics.

In something like League where every death makes you weaker and your opponent stronger leading eventually to a point of totally inability to effect the outcome of the game, shit yeah I’ll quit early. Why hasn’t the game ended already?

Flavour Beans says:

This. This is one of the biggest reasons why I prefer Heroes of the Storm to DOTA 2 or LoL. HotS games play more quickly overall, and the amount of time between when the game’s all but won and when it’s actually over is a lot less.

• Darloth says:

It has actually quite effective comeback mechanics as well, and heroes that scale differently later in the game. You can sometimes turn it around even if you’ve been losing for 3/4 of the match. Only sometimes, but it’s worth trying :)

11. yogibbear says:

I am one of the very rare (it seems) people that even when 0-5 down in Rocket League, stay in the game, and OFTEN I find we come back and win in overtime even though my 2 teammates have quit when it was only 0-3 or so.

• Asurmen says:

This. People seem to think that being 2-0 down means it’s game over even though there’s minutes to spare. I had a 3v3 game the other day in that situation and a player left. Amusingly enough, they must have re-queued and placed back into our game about a minute later. During that time, we had scored twice. We won 2-3 in the end.

Thulsa Hex says:

The best moments in Rocket League can come from glorious come-backs, which often happen extremely quickly. I have no idea why people so often rob themselves of these opportunities – especially since games are so short in the first place.

• Tinotoin says:

Absolutely, there’s few things as satisfying as being 2v2, you’re a couple of goals with more than half the match to go, your teammate buggers off – then you somehow manage to claw it back to overtime by yourself.

Then the 2 opponents stop toying with you and win. :)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That’s what be of the reasons I tend to avoid the competitive mode. The other team scored goal, FORFEIT!!!

12. Komutan says:

I never leave games unless something in real life comes up. Leaving a game is a rude behaviour, negatively impacting both your team and your opponents.

keefybabe says:

The only games I’ve left early have been the likes of Killing Floor 2 when there’s only one guy left and he’s just running in circles away from the enemy for like 10 minutes.

14. ZippyLemon says:

I used to be able to quit Halo games before I was aware I was quitting. Deaded-“that’s bull- why am I in the lob- oooooooh”.

15. Leroy says:

I find this distinction between ‘real life’ and game a bit weird, there are real people that you are affecting. I do not abandon games unless something outside the game is more important than being rude to several people somewhere else in the world.
    I signed up to play a game with people, I’m going to stick to the commitment. Exceptions exist, as noted in the article.

• Rane2k says:

Thats exactly what I think as well.

We don´t want other people to quit on us, so we should not do it unto them.
      I stick to this rule, within reason (house on fire? well, sorry, gotta leave the game ;-) )

• Boronian says:

Other people depend on you playing in multiplayer. So you don’t leave them and ruin their game. It is the same with boardgames. I would never leave the table because I don’t like the game and ruin the fun for everyone because many games just aren’t built for people leaving in the middle of it.

• Neutrino says:

Well said.

16. quintesse says:

Well I will abandon *sometimes* right at the beginning before the match starts and I see the line-up that’s being created by the Blizzard match-making. But the moment the match starts I never abandon.

• Thurgret says:

I did this for three games in a row – after stuff like joining a game where there were three Hanzos on my team – and then the game warned me I would be penalised for repeatedly leaving.

17. Laurentius says:

For years I have bad Interent connection so I was being disconnected from games a lot which caused that I developed attitude not to be too much attached to current match so yeah, I can leave games no problems though I tend not to do this that often.

18. MeFirst says:

Sorry if my english is not that good, but it’s not my native language. :)

I certainly quit some games and I got the “warning” for leaving early a few times. Not so often that I see it all the time, but from time to time it does pop up.

I see where Blizzard is going with this and I “sort of” agree. On the other hand I dont know why people should be punished if they decided they want to spend their time better. Every time I leave it is because my team is not just “bad” but is not just incompetent but also ignorant. Nobody wakes up as a “good player” but some people are plain ignorant. Quick example we probably all know:

You are attacking and your attack is not going well. The major reason is that you have one Hanzo and one Widowmaker and they are not helping in the current situatio. You could actually say they are creating this situation with their choice of heroes. Maybe you have 1-2 people on the team who ask them to switch heroes and then you get some childish replay from the two “ace snipers” who beside causing you too loose are actually not even playing their class well.

Why should I (or other people) be punished if they leave the match and they try their luck again by hitting the quick play button? Chances are relatively high that you will get in another game that is more enjoyable.

To me it feels like Blizzard is maybe aiming at the right thing but they hit the wrong target. People usually leave because of a bad team composition, combined with the ignorance of 1-2 players that refuse to listen to suggestions because they want to “main their favourite” or because they have a shiny skin for that specific hero. Before you start punishing players that simply dont want to play with people like that, Blizzard must improve some aspects of the gameplay and the MM.

– The headshot hitbox for projectile weapons is still too large and it is especially rewarding Hnazo players that have bad aim.
    – The MM needs to work better and must take into account if people on a team are grouped up as a party or not. A full team of “low level” randoms should bot be put against a team that is mostly grouped up and also have a higher level.

Maybe Blizzard should first mind their own door before the ones of other people in that case.

PS: I am talking about quick play and not the future of ranked games.

• Person of Interest says:

It can be a bit rude to ask other people to change their class. What if they have very good aim, and they excel as snipers? What if they are awful/uncomfortable with other classes, and so switching would not help the team? Maybe they’re trying to counter a threat that only they’re aware of?

It’s never one person’s fault that their team loses. Unless that person is Mei, then it might actually be their fault. :)

• MeFirst says:

I can only speak for myself and what I see in the chat, but usually people who ask other people to change heroes do it usually politely and it is often more of a suggestion than a request. I also try to (very quickly) explain why a change of heroes is a good idea.

Switching heroes in Overwatch depending on the situation and the enemy team composition is a core element of the game and I can understand when somebody around level 1-15 has not understood it yet. When higher level players dont do that it usually has not so much to do with understanding but egosim because people want to play their favourite hero. I can understand that but it usually comes at the cost of the fun of 5 other players of the team.

• Shadow says:

According to recent comments from the game director, the matchmaking system already takes into account if there’s teams in the picture, and will try to match teams with teams. It doesn’t look like there’s actual scenarios like a full team facing a bunch of randoms.

• falcon2001 says:

I can also confirm this myself – I play both solo and in large groups. When I’m in a large group our queue time is ridiculously long, sometimes as long as 3-4 minutes – and oftentimes we get matched against a group clearly working together. Solo is much quicker.

• Grover says:

They need a system that punishes bad teammates (person who “mains” a class regardless of what the team needs, second hard-lock Hanzo, Symmetra on Offense who never build a teleporter, etc).

It should be simple to add a rank that relates to “team play” – good supports and tanks get voted up, people who counter pick enemy heroes get voted up, good shot callers and communicators with microphones get voted up Vs. people who never switch heros based on the situation, refuse to listen to advice, and harass people using microphones get voted down. Then “detriment to the team” would be seen by anyone playing with them, and they might change their selfish ways.

19. h_ashman says:

In short, the only time I leave a game early is if my internet drops or the game crashes.

I’ve often ended up being the only player left in a game of Rocket League because I also refuse to forfeit in that game. But I stick around because even if it’s obvious I’ve lost (including some games by 10+ goals when I’ve gone 3 v 1 early) I’ll always try to get something out of it, even if it’s just some defending practice. Sometimes it’s just to wind the other team up (they get very cross when you refuse to roll over and die on them).

It might also have something to do with me coming at competitive games from a sporting background. There are so many examples across pretty much every sport of teams/players coming back against the odds to win, none of them would have won had they sacked it off because they were losing. So that ‘not over until the final whistle blows’ mentality has stuck with me.

End of the day, I see quitting because you’re losing as having a tantrum, it’s on a par with the people who just put the controller down and walk away, the “everyone better than me is cheating” people, or those on Fifa who just flip and start scoring loads of own goals (still have no idea why they do that).

Losing sucks, but you have to learn how to deal with it at some point, you can’t just go ‘no didn’t happen’ forever. (a point I expect I’ll have to make tonight/tomorrow when not quite half of the UK wants to riot because the other slightly more than half got their way).

• Sound says:

Bravo, sir. You are my kind of teammate.

• TeePee says:

I am still largely like yourself – I don’t care if I’m 0-5 down and we’re playing 2v3, I will fight to the bitter end.

However, one minor modification I’ve made to this (after having been on the wrong end of it a couple of times) is that if I end up 1v3 with a lot of time left on the clock, I will occasionally leave out of politeness and a desire not to waste the opposition’s time. The game is long gone, and all I would be doing is prolonging the game out of pure stubbornness.
      Once it reaches the point of no return, I’ll give it a ‘gg wp guys’ and then leave to give them the win.

Barring that, like others here, I won’t be leaving unless I lose connection or a real-life emergency kicks in. I’m going to win some games 7-1, I’m going to lose some 1-7 – it’s part of the territory, and if I need to be winning handily to have fun, then either my priorities, the game’s balance, or some combination thereof are out of kilter.

20. Blowfeld81 says:

If you play an online team- based game you should calculate the time it takes to finish a match. If you are unsure if you have the time, you should play something for yourself, where dropping out does not affect people.

I hate it when people start matches and tell you “hurry, I only got 15 minutes, then I have to leave for soccer” or something like that.

It’s ok, if some real life emergency emerges or your kids are doing something really dumb (when playing online competetevly, always have a parent backup around! ;).

But otherwise you ruin the fun of other people just because you are self absorbed.

And please don’t tell me “it’s just a game, it is for fun, don’t take it serious!”; Other people want to have fun, too. And usually it is not that much fun if you have 3 4vs5 matches or 10 vs 12 or whatever in a row.

21. Rince says:

I’m not an avid multiplayer gamer. My experience with MP in games was a bit of casual TF2, casual battlegrounds in WoW and not much more.
    But usually I don’t leave mid game, just because I prefer to finish things. To the bitter end.

22. BTAxis says:

Girl, I leave so early I never even start in the first place.

• Menthalion says:

I applaud your attitude and regret not more Overwatch players share it.

23. PixelsAtDawn says:

I very very rarely leave games early, unless, as you say, there is some clearly higher priority human event that requires my attention. My time is really not so precious that I can’t spare a few minutes to finish even a doomed game. Plus I feel a lot more gratified that I did my part if I don’t skip out on my teammates, even if there is no penalty system – this was the case before games like LoL penalised you for ragequitting.

I see people attempt to forfeit a game of Rocket League with 10 seconds left on the clock. What are you going to do with 10 seconds?!

24. Menthalion says:

Only when real life needs me right now. And if I know that is likely going to happen, I won’t even start.

I have no respect for people leaving. “When MY fun stops yada yada yada”. No backbone, no initiative to turn the game around, no skill, should not even BUY a team game if you have such a shitty attitude.

25. aircool says:

I never leave unless some RL situation really demands my attention.

Sometimes people leave, but you manage to pull off a win. Regards Overwatch, we’ve all been in those situations where there’s six minutes on the clock and that attacker are close to the last point etc…

I think that people who leave are missing out on some valuable lessons about changing characters. I’ve switched to Zarya for a bit of extra tanking, or Pharah for her AoE damage and changed the tide of the battle many a time.

26. Eyal says:

You described me. These penalties actually make me fire up TF2 instead whenever I feel like playing a class based shooter. It’s so easy-going in comparison, a great mixture of playing the objective and having stupid, mindless fun.

Thulsa Hex says:

Unexpected situations forcing one’s hand aside, I think bailing early is bad form. Quitting before the end has the potential to leave teammates in the lurch or even trivialise what would have otherwise been a hard won victory for your opponent. Like any other type of game or sport involving people competing with or against each-other, a degree of sportsmanship is required for it to work. If you don’t have time: don’t start the game. If you’re a sore loser: grow up! If you often find yourself sticking around but not having fun: maybe you should play something else?

Another annoying side-effect of people quitting early, which I haven’t seen mentioned here, is that it often results in other folks being drafted into games that are already well in progress. Arbitrarily finishing someone else’s game can be tedious. Even come-backs are boring in that scenario since they’re without context and you’re not invested in the match to begin with.

28. Hieronymusgoa says:

Games where I was at regular intervals close to leaving a running match (but didn’t), I simply stopped playing (LoL). Games where it doesn’t take forever to win or lose like in Heroes of the Storm or Overwatch I still play. But I might actually never have intentionally left a game prematurely. I never really rage, my brother does, might be a genetical thing. I don’t know. Winning is nice, but losing isn’t that bad. Might be that I simply get less emotional from both outcomes and therefore don’t mind sticking out all my matches.

29. Frank says:

The only competitive games I’ve played until now are TBT games, where there’s a small community and games only last 5-30 min. Most matches are 1v1 so the stayer gets the win; and it’s similarly not a big deal in free-for-all situations (1v1v1 etc.). It’s more awkward in team games or co-op, but I’d just apologize.

Anyways, MP TBT games always fail within about six month and have small communities, so they may be very different from your average MOBA or team-based action game. As far as the latter go, I guess I’ll find out how I behave if TF2 ever gets around to launching its competitive mode.

30. Umberto Bongo says:

No game is important enough to not be able to turn it off when you like. If I don’t want to play anymore, for whatever reason, then I’ll stop.

• TechnicalBen says:

This.

These are not paid for jobs. If they want professional players, set aside professional options and opt-ins.

If it’s a game of snakes and ladders, I’m certainly not buying/playing it if the thought police come in when I put it down to make a sandwich.

When playing with others online, I always try to be polite and helpful. Because real life is more important, I avoid all and any serious competitive situations, and try for casual and agreed “fun” instead.

If we all understand the game is not as important as other things, we can avoid name calling, tantrums and rage quitting if something goes wrong or interrupts a little bit of fund and games.

This even stands for real jobs, it’s not like getting your pizza that little bit late, or if the customer wants a little bit more cheese/toppings, it’s not the end of the world.

• Diatribe says:

And maybe it’s fun for me to troll my team. I mean, if we only care about ourselves, I guess I should feel free to do that as much as I want, right?

Or we could all agree when we sign up to play a team game we accept a responsibility to work with and respect the time of the other people we’re playing with until the game is concluded. This “me me me” attitude is disgraceful. If you don’t want to respect other people and their time, don’t play games with people.

• Sound says:

And what about the others playing that aren’t you?
      By all means, leave if something important needs tending. But if you’re just going to join the next game, then you are not enlightened by your woefully incomplete meta perspective, but merely selfish.

31. AskForBarry says:

I do not leave. I am the one who knocks!

32. Thule says:

I sometimes leave games early or midmatch. I currently play alot of Rainbow six siege and overwatch. I mostly leave when matches are hopeless because teammates are incompetent or dont listen to advice suggestions. In R6, I mostly leave in unranked casual games because the matchmaking is terrible and getting stomped in that game is unfun. I’d rather queue up for another game with hopefully more even teams than play a match I know Im gonna lose for another 10-15 mins.
    I leave less in Overwatch mostly because the matches are shorter, but I have done so, mostly out of frustration with my teammates(some Overwatch players are really, really bad). I’m fine with being penalized for it though, I dont really care about xp penalties, because they go away eventually and they mostly earn you cosmetic stuff. If I’m no longer having fun with a game, I’d rather quit and try again or go something else than keep playing. Sorry, if that makes me a jerk.

33. Atomica says:

I only play Battlefield 4 online and when I do leave it’s because the match has become so one-sided it’s no longer fun, or there’s a really obvious hacker one-shotting everyone and again ruining the game.

Also general life stuff. I don’t care enough about XP or anything like that to stay in to the end regardless. It’s a game!

34. Perjoss says:

I think you can learn more from a losing battle (or a close match) then from a winning one. As long as the game devs respect your free time and you’re not stuck in hell for 30+ minutes I’m fine with seeing a match until the end no matter how bad it gets, and lets face it, there’s a certain point where a match gets so bad that it becomes funny and I somehow find joy in being a part of this hilariously bad team, its a bit like watching the Expendables or any other ‘so bad its good’ movie I suppose.

Overwatch is good as the matches are over pretty fast, so even if you’re not having fun it doesn’t last for too much longer. I actually have a bigger problem with the matchmaking not being very good at map variation/rotation, but I fully understand that there are much more important factors being taken into consideration, like level of player skill and trying to not match solo players with a full on premade team.

35. elpewpew says:

I technically am. I leave during the POTG or after I win/lose, when everyone does their pose. I noticed that when I leave at this stage of the match and go do something like opening a lootbox or change a skin the next time I queue again I have to wait a minute or so.

Hopefully this doesn’t count as a leave once they implement this or I’m gonna have to sit through all those Bastion POTGs

• Perjoss says:

The lead dev said that as soon as you see the large victory/defeat notice up on your screen its safe to leave with no penalties and you will receive all xp and loot box etc. So you can totally skip the card/voting screen if you want.

• elpewpew says:

Nice, good to know! The minute queue thing is kinda weird though

36. Little_Crow says:

Crikey, I just ran through what I wanted to type in my head and I’ve realised that at 36 years of age, I am old. But I’m still going to comment, I’m not so far gone that I’m reduced to venting my outrage on Daily Mail articles…. yet.

I think this really depends on the number of players in the game – if it’s 4v4 then the loss of a player is going to be felt much more keenly than a 32v32 battle royale.

I personally only ever really play 24/32 player Natural Selection 2 now and the servers I choose to play on automatically concede the match if the teams become too lopsided.
    This usually happens if a team has a poor start, a commander drops out, or such – players can just join spectators and force a game reset.

It’s a bit of a shame as some of the best games I’ve been in are those that have been snapped from the jaws of defeat, by quitting when things look grim you won’t ever have these deeply satisfying experiences.
    Conceding also happens at the end of a game where defeat is inevitable, but I find a desperate last stand actually more fun than being on the winning side.

I sincerely believe a hard fought loss is far more satisfying than an easy win – but I’m also aware that I might just be a bit weird

• Sound says:

You, like me, are part of the first big generation of gamers, so you ain’t THAT old, and your age ain’t that special a gamer either! The difference is with the generation that precedes us. There’s a lot of 30-something avid gamers – Join Eve Online to have that illustrated keenly. ;)

But this topic of quitting, and it’s impact, is definitely all about small-team games. MOBA’s, mainly, and the sorts of games that get very individually competitive.

gritz says:

I drop out if I get a group invite, because the game doesn’t let me join a group without doing so.

I also drop at the end of matches all the time. Not because I’m ragequitting before the vote, but because the game loses connection to the server and boots me out to the desktop every 1 of 20 games or so.

I look forward to being heavily penalized for Blizzard’s design choices and bugs!

38. The Great Wayne says:

I hardly ever quit in games where it matters (that’s what we’re talking about anyway, nobody cares about leaving or joining during a TF2 match) unless RL calls, but I want to emphasize how much of a shitty element it is to have mechanics in place penalizing both the quitter and the team of the quitter (directly or indirectly).

Especially if we’re talking long games, online. Both of these aspects together means :

– You’ll eventually get disconnected at one point in your gaming experience

– You’ll eventually have to chose between staying online and dealing with some stuff IRL

– You’ll resent players leaving, even if they did L/D or did leave to save their newborn from choking on a blanket. Frequency and level of said resentment depending on the player age/character.

– You’ll keep playing even if you’re bordering on rage, or are just bored and don’t want to keep playing the full 40 min + of the match

These reasons and several others, added together with lack of empathy/proxemic over distant communication makes for some of the most toxic communities ever created. And it’s a very poor gaming environment, in any case, because it helds you hostage of a randomly made up team.

You can argue all you want about strategy and skill, but if a game isn’t able to let you hop in/out in an online non-competitive teamplay environment, then I consider it a massive design flaw. That’s also why I stopped playing these games altogether.

Being forced to deal on a regular basis with 14 years old and idiots to the bitter end, while making myself entirely unavailable to my family is hardly what I call enjoying a gaming session.

39. Foosnark says:

I vote “Remain”… and in the game.

Overwatch is the only thing I’ve been doing multiplayer lately. I stay in the game until “Victory” or “Defeat” pops up at least, and unless I’m really annoyed, I’ll stay through the voting too.

The one game I left early, it was because I was automatically removed for “inactivity” while reporting a troll Mei walling off her own teammates. (That timer is really short.)

I really dislike being backfilled into a losing team with less than 30 seconds left, and don’t want to subject anyone else to that. I think at a certain point, you just shouldn’t be allowed to leave the game.

I’d also like to see repeat early leavers hit with more penalties. An extra delay on finding a new game for instance.

40. Barberetti says:

I don’t play team games, but in a deathmatch I’ll leave for pretty much any reason, but especially if I need to grab a beer from the fridge.

I leave my character on the map though, so the others get some free frags out of me.

41. Jetsetlemming says:

My “formative” multiplayer experiences were made in Left 4 Dead 2: It wasn’t nearly my first online FPS but the first I sunk thousands of hours into, and there if anyone quits it basically ruins the fun for BOTH teams in VS mode. I trained a zen-like calm even if we’re losing into myself, to enjoy just playing the game, win or lose.
    It helps, a lot. In games with huge player counts like Battlefield I don’t care, of course, but with games where every individual is vital like Overwatch, Counterstrike (in comp mode where it’s 5v5, not in casual), L4D, etc. I never quit unless IRL emergency, as mentioned in the post.

42. Emeraude says:

I never do, but then I only play with people I know, so the issue never really arises.

43. Chillingjcrazy says:

When I was younger and played alot more Halo and the like I used to ragequit all the time. Granted, I didn’t scream at my team or anything about it, I usually just silently backed out. There were times when I wouldn’t even realize I was doing it too, one second I was in game, then the next I was angrily back to match making. I’ve grown out of it since then, and know when I play games like Smite or Overwatch I’ll never try to leave early because you can always turn things around. It actually reminds me of a Smite story that happened to me.

It’d been one of the free gem weekends, where you get the special currency that could only usually be bought with real cash. You got it for each WOTD you could pull out of every game mode, so me and my friends usually go through them all, and end with conquest. Me and my 3 friends got into the game with about an hour and a half before twelve pm, when (we thought) the WOTD’s would stop giving out gems. I don’t remember much of the match from there, only that it’s probably the best Serqet match I’ve ever played and that it was also the longest Smite match I’ve ever gone through. Every tower one team claimed was followed by a loss by the other, every single teamfight came out as either a total loss or complete victory. We hadn’t been paying attention to the time until about 30 minutes in, when we realized that both sides had been stalemated on the pheonixes. There had been a couple of disconnects from the teamates on both sides; but eventually they came back just in the nick of time around the 45 minute mark. Assumedly our guy who left had expected us to get crushed so he could go back to playing other Smite games, but after reconnecting and noticing that this match was stalemated to hell he stuck around. There had been a couple of calls for a forfeit, but being the majority we stomped that out whenever it popped up.This is were it got real.

It was probably them most coordinated pub game of Smite I ever played from then on. We couldn’t even type (I’m an Xbox player) so we had to rely on pinging and quick commands to communicate with the random in our team. Half of the time we were silent, to busy trying to figure everything out or concentrating on a fight to even speak to each other. Fire giants would come and go, phoenixes would be pushed, destroyed, only to be regrown after careful guarding from the team. Eventually we pushed too hard, overextended ourselves, and ended up wiping after taking out their phoenixes. We respawned with heavy hearts, luckily the hordes of fire creeps that had come before held them off just long enough to buy us time to get back to the fight. We were down two phoenixes, and it was looking like the last stand.

The fighting started with me jumping from my invis, barely dodging a Ymir freeze. I had a cloak to block CC, but I needed it for the Scylla they had as well. We tossed everything we had at them, but for some reason we just weren’t hitting as hard as we were previously. When I finally went down I remember explicitly saying “Ah, dammit, guess we aren’t getting our gems tonight.” That’s when I realized something. Where was Neith?

I had a friend who loved to play Neith, his favorite character hands down. But during the final respawn and the subsequent fight I hadn’t heard anything out of him. Finally I noticed. He was up top of the minimap. In the enemy base. Fighting their Titan right under their noses. They left some fire creeps standing in the left lane because they were confident that they would win the teamfight and take out our Titan before the creeps ever would (They also came from the right, so it was a bit out of the way.). What they weren’t counting on was a Neith with enough lifesteal to practically solo the Titan herself giving them support. Both sides wailed on the Titans, but the enemy team were in disarray, I saw that one had lost faith that they could kill our Titan before we did theirs and tried to recall. It was Scylla, who likely could have done more than enough damage to clinch their victory.That split second decision cost them the game, as we cheered our friend on he managed to get the final blow on their Titatn as ours was left with a sliver of health. We got our gems, our victory, and an awesome story out of it.

And that’s pretty much why I don’t quit games anymore. Sure we could have just up and quit after the big wipe, but because we stuck around eventually we got one of our most memorable Smite games ever.

• Sound says:

These sorts of occurrences happen with regularity when the team doesn’t give up, and always plays out the match. Matches where things go sour early regularly result in some of the best comebacks, or the best hard gameplay. And the best stories and memories.

44. Scelous says:

I don’t quit early very often, but when I do, it’s solely because of my teammates being incompetent pieces of filth. And I’ve found with Overwatch and its more casual appeal, there are more incompetent pieces of filth than other FPS’s I’ve played. I refuse to waste my time or my skills on them.

Competitive mode should fix that, and I did download the public test for competitive mode and have been playing it. Competitive mode has almost the exact opposite problem, where everyone playing is a crack shot with incredible reflexes, and it can be absolutely brutal. But at least it gives me the option to play with people who know what they’re doing.

Aitrus says:

So you’re that guy who keeps screaming at everyone who isn’t as good as him?

• Scelous says:

Nah. I don’t use voice chat, because not everyone can hear. And I don’t think continual verbal abuse accomplishes anything.

The extent of what I do is type, “This team ****ing sucks,” and then ragequit.

45. Jediben says:

I don’t always leave early, but when I do, I take the server down with me.

46. Sound says:

I play Smite. I never leave, I never surrender, I always F7.

I don’t understand the point of leaving a losing match – it denies you the opportunity to be challenged, and moreover, playing the game is funner than NOT playing(ie, surrendering/quitting/trolling).

That I cannot fully understand the mindset of leavers is *my* problem, not theirs, but I’d be lying if I claimed that I thought they were on equal footing. In a pseudo-rational way, I feel leavers are a lesser person for that sort of behavior, particularly in a multiplayer game, where you can potentially(frequently) ruin the fun for others. Perhaps unfair, but that’s how I actually feel.

47. Viral Frog says:

If I’m playing KF2 and there’s one person left in the party still alive. If it’s obvious they are going to die, but are prolonging their innevitable demise, I will leave. It’s going to be a loss anyway.

Any other online game, I’m in it to win (or lose) it. I don’t give up until the game’s done.

48. Sound says:

Thought experiment:
    You are playing a board-game round of Carcassone(or whatever) with your 5 friends. One of them leaves in the middle, despite lacking some compelling priority that requires tending.
    How do you feel about it?

There are some differences between this scenario, and a small-team competitive video game with strangers. But how much difference, really?

49. jrodman says:

I’m totally a leaver. I bail out before the game even starts!

50. April March says:

I have never left a game because I was losing. In fact, I love losing – unless you’re being stomped, it’s way more fun than winning. I have, very rarely, left a game because it was boring – usually because a few much better players in my team were winning the game without me.