Buy These Games: Our Picks From The Steam Sale

Dark days for the world. Maybe videogames can save us? Haha yes of course they can haha.

Here are some really good videogames, though. They’ll take you to a better place for a while. These are the RPS team’s 13 personal favourites from the current Steam Summer Sale: we believe in these games, and we believe that you should play them too.

Note: Graham and John aren’t around today so we’ll have to guess as to their picks. I’m pretty sure John would have chosen Blood Dragon, Stellaris and Ashes of the Singularity though, and Graham as many different versions of Assassin’s Creed as he could find. Alice was definitely here, though. Definitely.

Subnautica $11.99/£8.99 Our coverage

“Subnautica is my beautiful undersea hideaway where I retreat from everyday life and spend long evenings in my underwater garden, or being fascinated by the different biomes and lighting and…. ugh – it’s so good! It’s also in Early Access so I’m enjoying having the pleasure of watching a lovely environment grow and expand.”

Crypt OF The Necrodancer $3.74/£2.74 Our coverage

“A brilliant, boogying dungeon crawler where rhythm is your best weapon. I would buy this for the shopkeeper’s singing alone. Luckily the rest of the game is wonderful too.”

Life Is Strange $9.99/£7.99, or $1.99/£1.59 for just Episode 1 Our coverage

“If it hadn’t come along so late in my gaming life I could see this being a Gaming Made Me candidate. It’s the first time I recognised teenage girl-ness in a Big Game, one of the few games that has made me cry, and, although not perfect, it earned a unique spot in my heart. It won’t be for everyone but I adore it.”

Invisible, Inc. $6.79/£5.09 Our coverage

“Impeccable, tense and massively flexible turn-based, cyberpunk stealth with good hats. Maybe if I play this forever I’ll stop feeling as if the world just ended.”

American Truck Simulator $15.99/£11.99 Our coverage

“Do not dismiss this as some joke sim or the sole preserve of realism obsessives with £500 steering wheels. ATS is road trip zen for any and everyone. Maybe if I play this forever I’ll stop feeling as if the world just ended.”

Duskers $16.99/£12.74 Our coverage

“A pure connection between you and your computer: senses dialled down so that planning, predicting and interfacing can take centre stage. Wildly atmospheric, deeply convincing. Maybe if I play this forever I’ll stop feeling as if the world just ended.”

Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition $9.99/£7.99 Our coverage

“I’ll never stop banging on about Dying Light. It’s the best zombie game since Left 4 Dead 2 and my favourite implementation of full body presence in a first-person game since F.E.A.R. It’s one of my favourite big action games in a long while, occasionally bogged down by the Ubi-like icons littering the map, but offering a massive world where you can happily go offtrack and make your own stories and games. The Following expansion adds a coastal area, all wide spaces rather than urban claustrophobia, and a buggy. You get to squish zombies with a buggy.

Despite some confusion on the Steam page, which suggests the contents of the package can be bought as DLC, this is the base game plus The Following expansion, as described here.”

The Talos Principle $9.99/£7.49 Our coverage

“Puzzle games are my Kryptonite. Very occasionally, the structure of a game and its actual puzzling click with me though, and then I feel clever and enjoy the elation that comes with struggling to understand something and then having all the pieces fall into place. The Talos Principle gave me that feeling again and again, and it’s beautifully written as well.”

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die $4.99/£4.99 Our coverage

“A fiver for one of the best games ever made. This is the perfect chance to dip your toes into the water if you’ve been hesitating. A kraken will instantly grab your toes and pull you into the depths, of course, but chances are you’ll enjoy fighting your way back to the surface.”

Darkest Dungeon $14.99/£11.39 Our coverage

“Perhaps the game I love to hate and hate to love most. This may be a recommendation, but you should be warned: Darkest Dungeon is a bastard of a game. As a brutally unforgiving permadeath dungeon crawler roguelike that leans heavily on micromanagement and resource gathering, it can be stubborn, incredibly frustrating, at times baffling, but often wonderful. You’ll die more times than you care to admit, but that won’t stop you going back for more.”

Portal 2 $4.99/£3.74 Our coverage

“I love puzzle games, I do, and this is the grand master of them all. A fully-fledged follow-up to the Orange Box-bundled original that’s been expanded in almost every way, Portal 2 is a masterpiece in first-person puzzle platforming, humourous storytelling, and lateral thinking. It deftly combines head scratching bafflement with unparalleled moments of amazement and co-op is an absolute joy into the bargain.”

Garry’s Mod $2.49/£1.74 Our coverage

“Ten years after joining Steam, Garry’s Mod, Garry Newman’s sandbox free-for-all take on a Source engine mod, has spawned a dedicated, burgeoning community and stands as a proper game in its own right. There’s no objectives, no predetermined goals, no end-game; just a playground to build things in and it’s great fun. This might not be for everyone, but for less than two quid why not dive in and see what you can come up with?”

Deadly Premonition £1.99 Our coverage

“Only the lack of a chiptune soundtrack keeps Deadly Premonition from perfection.”

Deadly Premonition £1.99 Our coverage

“The only reason I ever uninstalled this was in order to make room for more Quake graphics mods on my hard drive.”

Deadly Premonition £1.99 Our coverage

“In my fondest dreams, Deadly Premonition gets a remake from the Assassin’s Creed team.”

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. yogibbear says:

I’m still bummed that my steam version of Deadly Premonition can’t get past a cutscene in Episode 21 (where you’re driving in the rain) or Chapter or however they named the various parts of that awesome game…. got through a couple of other crashes by cyclines graphics options, but no luck on this one.

• ElPolloDiablo says:

I’ve just finished this one recently, and also had a persistent crash or two along the way. Way I got around it was to enable Windows 98/ME compatibility mode for the game .exe AND the launcher .exe. It makes things slow as heck, but once I got past the affected areas I could switch back to Windows XP compatibility mode and things were okay for a while.

2. Sleepery says:

35mm is only €3.89 – bought on foot of your recent gushings :)

• VeritableHero says:

This is exactly what I plan on doing.

• Vintageryan says:

35MM is also currently in a bundle on indiegala with other games for a slightly lower price then its flying solo on Steam.

• frightlever says:

Oh, good to know. Haven’t been to Indiegala for ages.

• ephesus64 says:

Yes! I am excited to try 35mm come the weekend. I have been enjoying Fallen London, and I saw that you can have a comatose weasel for a pet in Sunless Sea, so I’ve decided to finally jump on that one. Probably Subnautica, Invisible Inc., Oxenfree, and maybe Pony Island next.

john_silence says:

Well, for 35MM I hope your keyboard is QWERTY. No rebinding keys for this one, no no no. Not really planned either, because apparently “updates are complicated”. I mean, I’m sure they are, but we’re talking basic ability to play the thing her, damn it.

Anyway, the rest of your list sounds great!

Oakreef says:

My recommendations are:

Freedom Planet

Freedom Planet

Freedom Planet

4. zeep says:

Dust: An Elysian Tail €2.79

5. James says:

Damn, none of these games allow me to fully escape the dystopia I woke up to this morning. Maybe the truck simulator will be worth it.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

Oh Alec, Brexit isn’t the end of the world. Or did you have something else in mind, there’s plenty to choose from (unemployment, refugees, wars, climate change), but nothing will bring about the end of the world anytime soon.

I have my wishlist and Steam’s “Below 5 Euros” list to go to, so I’m set. Though I might buy stuff at GoG or hunt for elsewhere, because Steam’s sale prices are not what they once were.

7. satan says:

Is there a standalone version of Dying Light? I can only see the more expensive enhanced edition for sale.

• Alec Meer says:

Sorry, I put in the wrong link, will correct now but here it is too

• lokimotive says:

Wait. I’m so confused, what you linked to there is Dying Light: The Following, but that is apparently a DLC for Dying Light: The Following – Enhanced Edition, which is $30 (50% off of $60). It doesn’t look like ‘Dying Light: The Following’ non enhanced, not DLC is available.

• frightlever says:

I THINK if you already have the original Dying Light, you can buy the Following as DLC, but they no longer actually sell Dying Light on its own – perpared to be proven wrong though, as I still haven’t played Dead Island.

• Adam Smith says:

I’ve sorted this now, with a quick explanation up top in the writeup for the game. In a confusion of naming, Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition is actually Dying Light Complete (Enhanced Edition), the base game plus the expansion, plus most of the minor DLC. Calling it The Following suggests the base game might not be included and the Steam page incorrectly lists some DLC that you’ll receive as available to purchase separately.

But Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition is the one you want if you don’t have any Dying Light whatsoever. Apologies for confusion – it is a very confusingly titled bundle. Techland made a flowchart to explain how it worked back at release, which is never a good sign :/

• Graedient says:

You should probably update the price then, because Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition is actually £19.99 or has that just happened recently?

• Viral Frog says:

Yeah, Dying Light is $19.99 for The Following EE. I was about to splurge on it because $9.99 is the exact maximum amount I will spend per game on sale. Turns out that I’m not getting Dying Light today, and that was extremely disappointing. :(

• satan says:

Thanks for the clarification, still a bit pricey in my region, I might wait until Christmas.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, sorry Adam the price is still wrong. The full package is £19.99. The DLC on its own is the £7.99 one.

8. Chewbacca says:

The Steam Controller is also on sale and at the moment cheaper than the XBox 360 (wireless) Controller for Windows.

• richard says:

Yep, and there are two options of where to buy it. Steam adds £7.40 shipping in the formerly United Kingdom. GAME has it bundled with Steam credit but no shipping.

9. Alice O'Connor says:

That’s… I don’t remember writing that, but it does seem at least partially like something I’d say.

• Vacuity729 says:

For some reason I had a powerful sense of deja vu after reading your recommendations. I have no idea why…

Skabooga says:

Is it still a case of identity theft if the other person does something you like with your name?

10. froz says:

I don’t know why they bother to offer 15% (or so) promos. Who buys that, if you can get plenty of great games with prices sliced by around half, play them for the next few months and then get the other game, when it has proper promo as well.

11. SomeDuder says:

War for the Overworld is also featured with an odd 57% off – link to

Also I can do without any reference to “brexit” please, already sick of that stupid amalgamation

• Zekiel says:

Well yours is only the second reference on the entire page at the time of writing…

12. Unsheep says:

For me it’s mostly an opportunity to cheaply re-buy games for the PC that I have on console. This time around it’s all about MotoGP 13 & 14 and WRC 5.

My recommendations ? apart from the above:
    * Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo * Automobilista
    * Stock Car Extreme * Formula Truck 2013 * Dirt 3
    * F1 2012 or 2014 * Assetto Corsa * SimBin Mega Bundle
    * ADAC GT Masters Experience 2014 * DTM Experience 2015
    * Euro Truck Simulator 2 + expansions

If you have an Nvidia card ProjectCars is a great deal, if you have an AMD card don’t buy it; the game was co-developed with Nvidia (= it runs badly on AMD).

Others: Sleeping Dogs, L.A. Noire, The Long Dark, Avernum, Anno 2070, Sheltered and Dex.

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

What are the Euro Truck Simulator 2 DLCs worth buying? They all look like paint jobs other than the Going East! pack. The paint jobs don’t actually do anything, right?

• Chinaski says:

I’d say Scandinavia is the best DLC for ETS2, that and Going East are the only ones that add more areas in game as far as I know. Scandinavia has wonderful scenery.

13. MajorLag says:

Is the PC Version of Dark Souls fixed yet? I mean so you can play it on a frickin’ PC with frickin PC controls? Mouse and Keyboard you know?

Because last I tried it the mouse control was still way too screwed up to bother, even with the 3rd party (because they never bothered to fix it themselves) fix. For those of you who never experienced it, the short version is that the faster you move your mouse, the slower you actually turn in game. Yeah. And that’s in addition to all the other really awful problems with the port, most of which are mitigated by said 3rd party fixes.

Personally, I found it difficult to give the series any kind of chance after that experience.

• banana says:

I guess not.
      Maybe you should avoid any games which work better and make more sense with a controller, they are clearly not for you!

Oh you purists… 50€ for a piece of hardware is just too much, hm?
      Well, I’m over here, having fun in Rocket League.

• Scripten says:

Considering Dark Souls doesn’t allow for easily remapping controller buttons, you’re pretty much forced to own an XBox controller to play it that way. For those of us with some four or so controllers made specifically for the PC, buying another one for a game that costs nearly as much as the game itself (on launch) is pretty ridiculous.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Except I played the first with a DS4.

• Scripten says:

I’m not sure what your point is with this comment? DS4s are also more expensive than the usual price of Dark Souls. I mean, I still bought the game and managed to get used to playing it with just a keyboard, but it definitely did not cooperate with any of the controllers I have for my PC.

• fish99 says:

Why do you only see mouse+keyboard as ‘PC controls’? PC has always had a huge variety of controllers available. That’s one of it’s strengths – that you can use the controller that best fits the game, like steering wheel+pedals for racing games, joysticks or yokes for flight sims, mouse/keyboard for FPS/RTS etc and gamepad for Souls games.

I owned a PC gamepad, joystick and steering wheel back before the first playstation was released.

• frightlever says:

I finished the original Doom using a PC gamepad that looked like a SNES controller. I remember being EXTREMELY sceptical about mice when they started getting popular. I think I first games with a mouse in Quake, where I used the pretty much standard Left button to fire and Right Button to move forward – seriously, this was a popular configuration.

• MajorLag says:

I don’t agree that Gamepad is the correct choice. I’ve played plenty of other third-person games like this with mouse and keyboard and they work fine. Plus aiming with Gamepad is, and always will be, significantly inferior to aiming with a mouse.

I guess I just expect that if you’re going to port something to the PC and ask people for money for it, you should make more than a token effort at getting the controls right. I’ve only ever seen one port worse than Dark Souls on that front, and it was because it mapped XBox buttons to the matching letters on the keyboard.

• Falcon says:

As someone who loves m+kb and even played Batman: Arkham Asylum with a m+kb before switching to a controller for Arkham City, a controller really is much better for those types of games. It’s definitely nice if they have decent m+kb controls so you have a choice, but the keyboard in particular just isn’t as good a fit for the combat as the analog movement you get with a stick. Yes, aiming is definitely hampered (unless you use a Steam controller, which is about the closest I’ve gotten to the precision of a mouse on a controller), but these types of games aren’t shooters and don’t require that kind of precision aiming. Analog movement and targeting are much more important, which an analog stick does much more readily than the 8 directions and generally 2 discrete speeds of movement you get with a keyboard.

• welverin says:

They may ‘work fine,’ but that doesn’t stop it from being an inferior control option.

Precision aiming isn’t important in a third person action game.

• malkav11 says:

It’s like first person shooters on gamepad. Sure, these days many of them have figured out controls that are functional, to the point that an entire generation is growing up more used to playing that way than with mouse and keyboard. But that doesn’t make them suited, just functional. M&K is still objectively the optimal interface for them so far.

• jonahcutter says:

I reinstalled Dark Souls and the various fixes within the last 6 months and got it all to work perfectly fine on m/kb. No weird behavior from the mouse whatsoever. It is entirely possible.

• DD says:

There is a another mod you can use in conjunction with DSFIX called DSMFIX. This enables and fixes mouse+keyboard support. Still sub-par to just using a controller.

• MajorLag says:

And relying on third party community mods to do what any reasonable port would have done in the first place is the definition of subpar.

And also, I disagree. My experience is that controllers are always significantly inferior at anything 3D where turning on a dime and pointing a crosshair at something is required. I certainly didn’t think GTA3 or any of the Saints Row games were better on controller. Well, the driving was, I’ll grant that. How much driving is in Dark Souls again?

IJC says:

About as much as pointing a crosshair. Except, of course, you insist on using an unviable bow-only build.

• MajorLag says:

To be perfectly honest, I never did get the hang of the whole dual-analog thing. So, regardless of other factors, I prefer to use a Mouse for this sort of thing. I also still think it is a superior control scheme, I just don’t have any object data to back that up.

And I don’t think that a game that was released on a PC, that charged money for it, should be able to use the excuse “well, it was designed for a controller” for why it has an incredibly terrible M+K implementation when just about every other third person game managed to get it right.

• Derpkovsky says:

I tried playing Dark Souls on my PC with a DualShock4 controller (which works fine with any other game), but for some reason the man on screen would just slowly walk around in stead of running like a normal game character.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I would use your Guitar Hero guitar if you’ve got one around, I hear it works well with them

• ButteringSundays says:

Real PC games use punch cards to input commands.

Seriously a game pad is a game controller, it is not system related. Keyboards are for typing letters and mice are for pointing at things. It’s 2016, this is not a new concept.

14. Aztek says:

The sale prices they have on CoD games always make me laugh. I haven’t really enjoyed any of them apart from Call of Duty: United Offensive and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

United Offensive is 50% and is still £7.50.

£7.50 for a ten year old game…

phuzz says:

What about Mass Effect 2 being only a fiver, but the DLC has never been on sale and will cost you about £30 for stuff that’s pretty essential to the plot. That always pisses me off.

• Aztek says:

Funny thing with Mass Effect 2. I actually got the game for £4.50 when it had only been out 2 weeks. Zavvi were going bust and it was £5 with an extra 10% off at the till.

Unfortunately never finished it, so never got around to needing the DLC. Although that does sound ridiculous.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah. I got ME2 in a bundle awhile ago, only to realize that the essential DLC would cost more than the whole bundle…

• machstem says:

I caved and bought the Warchest that gave me CoD and UO for 10$ I think. It was worth the price, although I agree that the base cost of the game should be that price.

15. fearandloathing says:

No love for Offworld Trading Company?

Nauallis says:

This surprised me too. And no mention of Fallout 4 being 50% off as well.

16. mgardner says:

I love how Darkest Dungeon has so many “Do not recommend” reviews with 80-200 hours played… Maybe I will finally pick it up.

My pick is Steamworld Heist, it’s only 25% off but it’s the best game I’ve played in recent memory.

• AngoraFish says:

All those hours play were generally from early access, before the devs couldn’t resist adding things that made the game more difficult and complicated.

17. The Great Wayne says:

The Long Dark is 6.79 € atm. It’s pretty good already, and there are big plans ahead.

18. gabrielonuris says:

Here are my picks from this (awful) summer sale (yes, I didn’t like the discounts this time, except for the ones below):

Dex: $4,99 (75%)
    Bound By Flame: $5,99 (80%)
    Risen series: $4,99 per title (75%)
    Murder: $0,98 (67%… it’s a short tale/interactive story, you can simply sell those pesky trading cards and buy it with the money, like I did).

• Zach Fett says:

Would you recommend Risen 2 or 3? I thought they were supposed to be terrible but they had positive Steam reviews, which surprised me. Bought the Risen bundle (all 3 plus all DLC) a few hours ago, was only $10!

• Vacuity729 says:

Do us (or at least me) a favour and quickly play through at least one of them immediately; I’m eyeing up the Risen bundle too; I understand they’re janky but hugely entertaining *if you like that sort of thing*, and I have no idea if I like Risen’s sort of thing or not.

• gabrielonuris says:

I’d recommend Risen 3, but since you bought the full series, start with the first and keep going.

Yes, it’s kind of junky (mostly the second one), but it has so many great ideas that you can easily ignore its rough combat in favor of so many good RPG mechanics. You’ll wonder why, in this day and age, haven’t we saw more games like this one.

19. RecycledKaos says:

My personal picks, (I spent all yesterday searching)

Stronghold HD $1.49
    FortressCraft Evolved!$6.49
    Sunrider Academy $4.49
    Aarklash:Legacy $1.99
    McDROID $4.99
    Cities Skylines Deluxe $15.99
    Conquest of Elysium 4 $12.49

It’s about $100 and Best But currently has buy 1 get 1 20% off Steam Cards.

• Zach Fett says:

I second Blood and Bacon. Give it some time, the first ten or so days are a bit slow and are supposed to be tutorials. After your first boss fight it really picks up and starts throwing tons of enemies at you. Fun stuff!

Also totally recommend DR2: Off the Record, by far the best version of DR2 just for having that co-op free roam mode where you don’t have to deal with any timers and can just screw around.

So much fun, hope DR4 will have a mode like that. Sadly DR3 had a timer and no free roam mode, really bummed me out. I just wanna explore and ignore the story!

20. Horg says:

The Shadowrun games are all heavily discounted, and Thea: The Awakening is 40% off. That’s some good time sinks for under £20.

gritz says:

PONY ISLAND is definitely the best thing I’ve purchased this time around.

22. Zekiel says:

My picks:

Life is Strange – you can try this for £2 (for Chapter 1 of 5) and it really is amazing (assuming it clicks for you)
    Pillars of Eternity (£14) – fantastic throwback to Infinity Engine games
    Gone Home (£3)

23. Zach Fett says:

So far I’ve only bought the Risen and Gothic bundles. Never played the Gothic games and only got a few hours into the first Risen and loved it, but never got around to playing more. Hopefully it’ll all play fine on Windows 10.

24. RedShadow88 says:

what you guys think about “don’t starve MegaPack ” to 15.90€ ? really worth it? or just buy one version and expend € in another games? :P

• jonahcutter says:

Don’t Starve sets the standard for survival games, imo. If you like the genre, otherworldly creatures, semi-dark humor and inspired art design it’s great.

That said, it looks like the Don’t Starve Together DLC is bulk of that cost. It’s the co-op DLC. So if you won’t ever be playing the game co-op, you could skip it entirely and not miss anything and pinch some considerable pennies.

25. Ilikecookies71 says:

Let me create an account just to throw this in the ring:

Dungeon of the Endless™ 4,07€ (66%)

Great combination of a roguelite, tower defense and a amazing soundtrack.

• Vacuity729 says:

I’ll second this recommendation. Dungeon of the Endless has so much “game” packed into a small and inexpensive wrapping.

• fabronaut says:

Dungeon of the Endless is truly excellent!

I liked it so much I went and bought their 4X strategy game Endless Legend. I’m pretty horrid at 4X games, and I always get distracted by something else before I begin to really master any of the mechanics :p

Dungeon of the Endless is a lovely little gem of a game with a ton of personality (and a lovely soundtrack!). It’s not so brutally stretched out that you can’t beat it at least once on a lower difficulty level, and if you like it, you can play through it a number of times with different “pods” (think scenario / world modifiers) that tweak the core gameplay a fair bit.

It’s great. Can’t recommend it enough! I liked it so much I bought a second copy for a friend — pretty sure he hasn’t touched it, but I don’t really care. I’m a bit of a cheap bastard when it comes to games (because why not when things go on sale so often!), and it’s worth every penny.

26. Weremoo says:

Any thoughts from the Hivemind on the Steam Controller? It’s currently £27 (or £23 in a bundle, for some reason…) and I’m really on the fence. It seems like a really cool idea, but I can’t get a handle on whether people like it or not – it seems to attract a massive range of feelings, from ‘it’s horrible’ to ‘don’t waste your money’ to ‘I want to marry it’.

• Gertjan says:

Previously recorded’s review on youtube of the steam controller was very helpful to me. link to

• sdfv says:

I like mine, and I use it sometimes, particularly for “Media Center PC” stuff on a laptop or my steam link. It’s usable as a mousepad for clicking to the next movie or whatever, essentially.

That being said, for games actually designed for a gamepad, a ps4 controller is far superior.

• TeePee says:

It’s not very helpful, but I’d say it’s an on-the-fence kind of thing.

It’s a very good pad ergonomically, and those paddles on the bottom of the pad are wonderful once you rewire your brain to remember they’re there.

It’s not the replacement for Mouse+Keyboard that Steam were trying to sell it as, and if you want it to work worth a damn, you need to either spend half an hour creating a configuration or ten minutes browsing pre-made ones for one that’s halfway decent (and that’s hard work, because there’s no ratings system, the list is entirely on number of downloads).

On the other hand, when you find/make a configuration that works for you, it’s hands-down the best and most flexible pad out there. I can’t imagine playing Rocket League with anything else now.

Long story short, you’ll probably get out of it what you’re prepared to put in.

27. RaunakS says:

So I snagged a lovely little puzzle game called Hook (link to for only ₹52 (~0.5£) and its a delightful thing. I had no idea such wonderful little gems were hiding. Must explore moar!

(Also, I finally got Portal and Portal 2 and Banished. Time to see what the hype was about)

28. elpewpew says:

I finally got to complete my Shadowrun collection with this sale.
    I’m looking for a survival game but there are a ton of em. Rust, Day Z, Subnautica, etc.
    I’m looking at Rust but I’ve seen some videos and it seems that is either about defending from griefers or becoming one.

How are the other survival games?

29. godunow says:

Life is Strange (2€/10€) – for me it is the best game ever created. One of really few that has writing on level of a good movie and gameplay that is not there just to make getting to know the story longer and more painful. If you are worried that you may not like high-school drama try first episode first.

Shadowrun Dragonfall (3€) – best of isometric rpg renaissance – (again, personal taste) leaves Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 far behind. Also, while Matrix modifications in Hong Kong are really nice, Dragonfall beats it with its story.

Invisible Inc (6,80€) – best of recent turn-based strategies. As it is rather short, which some may view as a drawback, now it is a time to get it.

Also: Dungeon of the Endless

• sdfv says:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall, especially at that great price. If you like RPGs at all, play it.

Big Dunc says:

I bought that in last years summer sale, and haven’t even touched it yet. And still my Library of Shame gets ever bigger.

30. vahnn says:

Adam and Alec could be my gaming twins. Gaming triplets?

31. 09armageddon says:

I got Sniper Elite trilogy pack and Brothers in Arms pack. Thinking of getting Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, but not able to make up my mind.

32. Bobtree says:

Transformers Devastation is $12

cockpisspartridge says:

My only purchase so far. Good old 1980’s transformers. You’ve got to love gridlock.

cockpisspartridge says:

Grimlock, damn it. We never needed ‘spellchecker’ in the ’80’s and I sure as bell don’t need it now……….see, it did it again.

33. Boult Upright says:

Definite Purchases:

Walking Dead: Michonne
    Dying Light: The Following DLC
    Punch Club
    The Solus Project (I get it a bit cheaper again for owning ‘The Ball’)

Likely Purchases:

Shawden (again, $6.83 a bundle where I own everything else)
    The Flame in the Flood

I’ll probably round it out with a few cheapies – The Last Door Season 2, The Guest are heading this tier.

I’d be happy if I keep it to $US70

Mr. Anderson says:

Should I get Euro Truck Simulator 2 (maybe plus some DLC?) or American Truck Simulator?
    What’s the main difference except for the location?

• hpoonis says:

Have not yet tried American Truck Simulator. In my humble opinion, I cannot see that there would be enough variation on the theme to make me want to purchase it. However, I do have Euro Truck version and would gladly recommend it as a way to pass several (dozen) hours. I grabbed the two major downloads for it: Going East and Scandinavia, and also installed the mods which expand Europe and Russia, and will probably get hold of the Poland rebuild mod. They greatly expand the existing road system while also enhancing the visual aspects.

35. Dr.Ded says:

I picked up: 12 is better than 6 for $2.99 (now that controller support has been added), The Consuming Shadow for $4.99 (haven’t tried it yet, waiting until night-time) and the surprisingly great Subterrain $8.50 (if it’s on your radar, I think you should give it a closer look) and good ol’ Hotline Miami 2 for under $4.00. Seriously, Subterrain deserves more attention.

36. malkav11 says:

I always feel like lists like this shouldn’t just be “here’s some great games I played recently”, but rather “here are some great games that are really cheap in this current sale”. Duskers, for example, is all of 15% off, a discount so slight as to barely be worth mentioning. I’m sure it’s great, but if you were going to buy it at almost full price, why wait for a sale?

As such, let me recommend things that are actual deals. For example, all of Spiderweb Software’s amazing RPGs are 70% off except for the newest, Avernum II: Crystal Souls (which is 50% off). You can pick up the entire Geneforge Saga for a mere $6, either of the extant two Avadon games or Avernum: Escape from the Pit for $3 a pop. And the previous generation of Avernum’s second trilogy or Nethergate Resurrection are all of $1.50 a piece. Avadon and Avernum: Escape from the Pit are the newest of the lot and have the best interface and graphics, but Geneforge is a pretty rad setting and the price is tough to beat.

Or Bully: Scholarship Edition, still Rockstar’s best game on PC, for a mere $3. (I think it might be their best game, period, but I haven’t played enough Red Dead Redemption to comment, that being the other contender but sadly not on PC.)

Hit Mango: Definitive Edition, the finest in tactical fruit assassination (or boardgame-aesthetic puzzle adaptations of Eidos franchises, if you must write the title correctly) for $4.

We Know the Devil, a smart and off-kilter horror visual novel with an absolutely fantastic soundtrack, for $4.

• mgardner says:

Thanks for the tip on Spiderweb discounts, I have all of them (except Avadon series) on CD but have been looking for a cheap way to add them to my digital library “for posterity”.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I’ve got them all on CD too, but I don’t mind double-dipping for Spiderweb games. They’re more than worth it. (Actually I’ve dipped more than that – I also have some of them on GoG and I’ve gifted them more than once.)

• April March says:

Oooh, I didn’t even know We Know the Devil was on Steam.

37. evahguh says:

Valkyria Chronicles for $4.99
    plus Old Gods and Sons of Abraham DLC for Crusader Kings 2.
    plus maybe Conquest of Elysium 4, Resident Evil HD, or Fable Anniversary $5.24.
    if Hard West was just a little less, i would be all into that too.

38. April March says:

Does Steam still do the weird daily discounts during the sale that exist to make you feel stupid if you buy something when it’s only mildly discounted? After GOG’s sale kept the ‘daily’ discounts at the reduced price until the sale ended, I don’t have the slightest desire to return to Steam’s price wrangling.

• fabronaut says:

No, they changed that in the last winter sale. It was really pissing people off (and a pretty silly way to do a sale, since they always rehashed all the deals at the end).

I think they found people ended up just repeatedly checking back (which maybe led to more sales? but possibly less), which can’t have helped with their servers being utterly crushed at times.

It probably saves them more money this way and involves less futzing around with “oh no, I need to check Steam 3x per day!” I mean, I *can* do that, but I don’t want to do so…

• April March says:

Thanks for the repy. That’s quite sensible of them. I feel like now I can buy some games instead of shrugging comically like a stock picture of a man shrugging.

39. fabronaut says:

as the kids say: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just spent $100 Canadian on 22 games… most were steeply discounted, but I did pick up a few from the RPS recommended pile that I’ve been eyeballing for ages.

Specifically, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Life is Strange, and Invisible Inc. — all come highly recommended and I’m sure will be an utter delight! :D

Other than that, I tend to stock up on rather cheap and manageable games. I have so many ridiculously massive games I haven’t touched. As an example, I still haven’t installed Skyrim… ever. I figure I’ll end up modding it to the nines, and perhaps another graphics card generation will come along, so why bother doing it now…

And then there’s the stone cold classics I’ve started playing and got distracted from finishing. (Thief: Gold — modded, System Shock: Enhanced Edition, Planescape: Torment, and on and on and on…)

• April March says:

Man, I just bought Crypt of the Necrodancer, after months of dithering (on GOG’s sale, though) only to find I’m ABSOLUTE FUCKING GARBAGE at it. I can’t think and stay on rhythm! My girlfriend might like it, though – she’s a drummer.

40. BrokenGolem says:

Fourteen hours in, I have uninstalled Darkest Dungeon — too masochistic for my tastes.