Enderal, A Skyrim Total Conversion Mod, Due Next Month

Total conversions are easily the most ambitious mods ever created, which is why so few of them ever actually get finished. They don’t just add some new armor sets or tweak a game mechanic or two, they build entire games. But, amazingly, Enderal [official site], a completely new RPG built in Skyrim’s engine, is going to be one of the few that actually sees the light of day. Thanks to a tweet from its developer, we now know Enderal will be arriving at the beginning of July, first in German and then in English a week or two later.

Developed by SureAI, a team of 12 coordinating out of Munich, Germany, Enderal seems almost too ambitious in scope. It’s been in development since a month before Skyrim launched back in 2011, and features a fully-voiced story in both German and English that should take anywhere from 30 to 100 hours to beat. Deep changes to the mechanics of Skyrim have also been made, including revamping the progression system so that it more closely resembles a traditional RPG with experience points. Add to that a brand new world featuring new art, landscapes, and monsters to fight and Enderal seems like a pretty big package. Oh yeah, did I mention it’s also free? Bless these modders. All you need is a copy of Skyrim, which fortunately is on sale through Steam for a tidy $9.99/£4.99.

What has me the most interested is the story, however. Watching the trailer above, which features a whole lot of snippets of dialogue, Enderal feels much darker and more personal than most of the Elder Scrolls games. And its website describes it as “an unconventional story with psychological and philosophical undercurrents,” which also has me greatly intrigued.

Enderal will arrive in German between July 1st and 3rd. Unless you can understand German, you’ll have to wait until the English version releases later to find out of Enderal has actually been worth the four year wait. But with so much blood, sweat, and tears obviously put into it, I certainly hope it will be.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Jimbo Jones says:

I have question for the RPS crew. Where are the user reviews for the HTC Vive? Is Valve suppressing them?

• Unclepauly says:

Is this game built for VR? I don’t see the connection if not.

• Jimbo Jones says:

It’s not directly related, no. But you can mod VR into Skyrim, probably this conversion too. I know that’s reaching a bit, and I’m not trying to derail this post. But I am awfully curious why no one in the industry is calling attention to this.

• Sin Vega says:

I’m not really RPS crew, but I am a freelancer, so perhaps I can answer: I don’t care.

Hope this helps!

Erayos says:

If you’re talking about Steam user reviews about the HTC Vive, I think they just didn’t exist in the first place.

• Jimbo Jones says:

But why not? They let people review the Steam controller and Steam Link and every single other product that I’m aware of. It’s been out for months now, and no one has an opinion on it? It just smells fishy to me.

2. dr.denton says:

So, Mass Effect? In fairness though: the story sounds a thousand times more interesting than anything Bethesda. And do I get a Gothic vibe also?

• montorsi says:

This is exactly what I thought watching the trailer. Medieval Mass Effect.

• Hyttenhoof says:

They said it would be nothing like mass effect. I got a nier vibe personally.

3. quiggy says:

This is by the same people who made Nehrim too, which is an absolutely amazing total conversion for Oblivion that you really ought to try.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, Nehrim was great! Much better than vanilla Oblivion. And I say that despite having some serious issues with Nehrim.

Give me trolls, ogres, dragons, as foes, but don’t let the Nehrim wolves get near.

• Jetsetlemming says:

I immediately was wondering if it was related! My old Geforce 8800 burnt up while playing Nehrim back in the day.

4. Geebs says:

Fantasy airships and the protagonist getting knocked out in a cutscene really shouldn’t still be things.

5. Kefren says:

Not related, but I am stuck: RPS covered a game in the last year or so, stark aesthetic, minimalist, something about exploring a grey concrete building, maybe flowers, darkness spreading, quite slow but visually interesting. I’ve tried loads of searches and can’t track it down. Any ideas? I want to see if it is in the Steam sale.

• Maritz says:

Tangiers? If so, bad luck, it’s not out yet!

• Guzzleguts says:

The Light?

particlese says:

Darn you! Despite the flowers and so on, the name Kairo came to mind, but that’s definitely not it, and now I can’t figure out the one I was actually thinking of. I think it was entirely grayscale, had nice lighting and architecture, but had a bit too much timing-dependent platforming (or something like that) for RPS’s taste…

particlese says:

That’s a non-serious “darn you”, by the way. I’m happy to be reminded of these other games which looked neat but fell off my radar.

• tumbleworld says:

I’m almost certain you’re talking about NaissanceE. Incredible experience. A crying shame they shoehorned pointless platforming into it.

6. Necrourgist says:

Well…you see…We germans are quiet good at crafting dark, brooding RPGs/stories ;)

7. Undermind_Mike says:

Did you guys notice that they have uploaded it with English subtitles? I had to go looking for the setting on iOS, but they’re there.

8. Senethro says:

The guys who made Nehrim? Instant download from me.

9. April March says:

Even if that trailer contains every bit of the game that’s unlike Skyrim, it still would be the best of the two.

10. Unsheep says:

Unlike the core game this might actually be interesting enough to play through. It’s just unfortunate you need Skyrim in order to play it.

11. Razumen says:

Interesting, but I don’t know if I could get into it if it’s still stuck with Skyrim’s janky combat mechanics, some of which is hardcoded into the game. No amounts of mods can fix that mess.