Minecraft Movie Coming Out May 24th, 2019

Oh right, yes, they are making a Minecraft movie, aren’t they? Is It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia chap Rob McElhenney still on to direct it? What strange times. Anyway! Mojang today announced, three years in advance, when the movie will launch: May 24th, 2019.

I mention this because the schools usually half their summer half-term holiday around then, so you can use this time to plan and make yourself scarce if you have nieces and nephews with parents who’ll say “You like those games, don’t you? You can take them, can’t you? You will, won’t you? I’m just… I’m so tired. I can’t deal with them right now. You don’t have a proper job, do you?”

What’s it even about? Heck if I know. What even is it? Some sort of a jolly adventure, I suppose. Telltale’s Minecraft: Story Mode is a friendly little fantasy hero story set in Sticklebricklandia, calling upon Minecraft monsters, contraptions, and so on when appropriate. Maybe this’ll shoot for a LEGO Movie vibe? I’ve no idea what to expect, other than – surely – a lot of cameo appearances from famous Minecraft YouTubefolk.

May 24th, 2019. I shall be up a hill or under water or in France or on a remote island.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Kestrel says:

I like the pen in that photo.

• Coffee Ray Gun says:

It is quite nice, I wouldn’t mind having it myself even if I never handwrite.

• Radbertus says:

It’s actually a pencil made by Graf von Faber-Castell.

2. ChrisGWaine says:

So it’s not going to be an Aaron Sorkin movie about Notch?

3. MrFinnishDude says:

Man, back in 2010, when I was still in high school, I made a presentation about this cool game I found called Minecraft.
    I said that this weird indie game could possibly be the most famous game one day, that it had the potential to be something big.
    My friends laughed at me, saying that there’s no way this stupid block game could ever be famous at all, that no-one would ever want to play it.
    Well, it seems that Minecraft has become as recognized as Tetris, Pong, Mario, or Space Invaders, it’s synonymous with the word video game itself. Everyone and their grandma knows what Minecraft is, and now there will be a goddamn movie about it!. Guess I was more right than I anticipated.

• brucethemoose says:

No arguing with that.

But I think people really stopped arguing when Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion… Thats a stack of money that would raise any skeptic’s eyebrows.

• MajorLag says:

Personally I still don’t get it, and I have an alpha account. It was a fun little interesting tech demo when I and some acquaintances messed around with it, and while I spent a few dozen hours with it, it was tedious and I grew tired of it. It got more and more tedious with every update.

I see it a lot in games. All this hype for games about collecting X and leveling Y and mining and crafting (seriously, I curse Minecraft for bringing that particular brand of grind into the mainstream) and just a bunch of really tedious time wasting crap… but I can’t deny that people seem to eat it up. Is it just kids with all that have-no-job free time on their hands? So lacking in shit to do that they can overlook the tedium of it all? I don’t know. Maybe I’m busy, maybe I’m just old and cynical.

• Koozer says:

I think it’s the combination of simplicity, busywork and the ability to just make stuff that made it a success. Personally I only ever played it with a mate of mine and spent a lot of time swearing at the completely illogical redstone (electronics/logic gates) system.

If I want to actually build something grand I’ll go for a city builder or Dwarf Fortress any day over Minecraft.

• MrFinnishDude says:

The thing about is immersion.
        You know, people’s ability to immerse themselves in a game varies, but if you manage to immerse yourself in the experience, now thats where Minecraft shines.
        Like a simple thing as collecting wood, with immersion its not just grinding blocks with different numbers, its you, in the wilds, hauling lumber, surviving, creating a home for yourself, making the world in your image. That sort of thing.

• satan says:

Pretty simple really, you’re dropped into a complete world where you can do anything, and every time you play you can bend the world a bit more to your will. I’m sure I wasn’t the only kid who got in trouble for climbing trees/rooftops or trying to dig a hole just to see how deep it could go.
        Kind of game I’d have loved to play as a kid.

• satan says:

Oh just to clarify, coming to Minecraft as an adult, I only played an early version of it for about a week, I enjoyed that time but addiction always wins out over imagination, and I went back to WoW.

4. brucethemoose says:

Almost every child I know of young than… 14 maybe, is obsessed with Minecraft. And they play with a lot of friends.

That’s not a huge sample size, but I suspect that any movie with “Minecraft” in the title is gonna make a truckload of money.

• crazyd says:

Not to say that it necessarily won’t, but three years is a long time for a childhood obsession to last.

• Unclepauly says:

New kids being born every day my friend.

• crazyd says:

And new games are made every day that might take their attention. Things change fast in the world of games AND in the world of children’s attention spans.

5. Shuck says:

Soon to be followed by Minecraft: The Movie: The Game?

6. Jmnea says:

That’s odd. I’m releasing my nuts today but I didn’t feel the need to announce it to the world. Well, if you’d like to see them , come to my toilet later.

7. something says:

I suppose I’d better buy a 2019 diary and put this date in it then. Otherwise it will likely pass me by without notice.