Civilization VI Vid Introduces Queen Victoria’s English Civ

“The English can be an aggressive and expansionist civilisation,” explains a new Civilization VI [official site] trailer introducing the English civ’s unique units and buildings, “but they can also switch towards a cultural victory if they set up their museums and send their archaeologists aboard.”

Yes indeed ladies and gentleman, a little bit of politics.

Queen Victoria leads the English civ, ousting Elizabeth from her reign in most earlier Civs, which is a bit curious. While Lizzy’s title was Queen of England and Ireland, Vicky was very much Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; making her rule only England is a bit odd. I wonder if Scotland, for example, will be a separate civ.

Little bit of politics there.

The English special ability is the British Museum – not a building itself – which gives their archaeological museums extra artefact slots and provides more archaeologists. Their unique district (remember, cities are now sprawling is the Royal Navy Dockyard, which gives bonus speed for naval units built there and extra gold for ports on other continents. The English unique units are the Redcoats, who Trailer Voice says “are stronger when fighting away from the capital’s continent” and can disembark without using a movement point, and the Sea Dog, a ship which can capture other ships and “bully weaker naval units”.

A little bit of politics there, ladies and gentlemen.

Civilization VI is due October 21st on Steam, priced at £49.99/59,99€/$59.99. Adam really liked the preview version he played.

“May the sun never set on your Empire as you lead the English to victory,” says Trailer Voice.

Little.

Bit.

Of.

Politics.

Don’t blame me, 2K picked this trailer to release this week of all weeks. They started it.

From this site

1. Kefren says:

My latest book included a story (Claws Truth Forebear) targeted at past British cultural imperialism – snatching treasures from other countries for our museums. Of course, being a horror collection, the story doesn’t end well for Britain (or rather, the archaeologist).

• Scurra says:

Someone suggested that at the opening ceremony for the London Olympics, as the athletes paraded in under their national flags, people could parade from the other side of the arena carrying an object from the British Museum that we had, ahem, borrowed from that country…

2. Grimcull says:

The whole England / Britain thing in Civ has always confused me, too. Victoria was also an available leader for England in Civ IV (Elizabeth was too) from the get go, and Churchill was later introduced.

Civ VI looks nice, but £50? Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll wait for a few expansions and a good sale.

• Gwyddelig says:

It’s in the Kinguin sale currently for literally half that ATM.

But, y’know, pre-orders and etc. so caveat emptor .

3. technoir says:

To be fair, Civilization has always demonstrated some pretty screwed-up ideas about history and society. Rubbing it in your face like that doesn’t seem very smart, though…

• gou says:

The one takeaway lesson i learned from Civ 2, was that you cannot have a democracy AND a monarchy at the same time… which is clearly why this country has gone so wrong for so long.
      About time we burned down the palaces I say!

4. tormos says:

Moving away from the political angle for a moment, it’s interesting that in this video and the previous one (america), the civilizations have had bonuses in multiple areas/win conditions rather than just one. I hope this trend continues for the remaining civs, and that the AI is capable of, say, switching from a policy of expansionism towards another path if the opportunity presents itself.

5. Captain Joyless says:

“While Lizzy’s title was Queen of England and Ireland, Vicky was very much Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island; making her rule only England is a bit odd.”

Of course, Firaxis is an American developer, and we don’t care about your goofy little titles. You’re all the “funny people with the bad food that make the serious tv shows” one way or another.

• AngoraFish says:

Actually, Northern Ireland wasn’t actually a thing while Queen Victoria was alive. She was just Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

• Rockfall says:

Goofy little titles? Getting mixed up between England and the UK is like confusing California and the USA. Doesn’t bode well for the title if they can’t be bothered to do that level of research…

• Flatley says:

No, because CA is a state and the US is a country. England is a country, and the UK (commonly called “Great Britain”) is a “sovereign state” (also known as a “country”) which includes England, Scotland, and Wales (on the island of “Great Britain”) along with Northern Ireland, which is just north of Actual Ireland. As with the English language, it seems the entire setup is designed explicitly to confuse.

One could be forgiven for needing to ask of the UK, “How many countries are in this country?”

phuzz says:

“How many countries are in this country this week?”
          FIFY

• Comco says:

I’m an Aussie*. We generally know a fair bit about our English brethren, but I admit I had to look up what the difference was between Great Britain, the United Kingdom and England. I’m sure I’m not alone there.

Your history is complex – don’t make the mistake that Americans are constantly accused of and assume that everyone in the world does, or should know more about your country than they do. ;)

* That’s Australia – a little island south west of your old colony with all the spicy food. We’re another reminder of your imperialist past that you seem to want to forget about these days. Rule Britannia! ;)

• WeirdDo says:

It’s more accurate to compare England’s place in the UK with Germany’s place in the EU. We are a United Kingdom, The Kingdom of England, The Kingdom of Scotland, The Principality of Wales and a small chunk of the former Kingdom of Ireland we managed to keep hold of. Different country’s sharing one monarch that decided to have one government early in the history of our union. We since learned that treating multiple country’s as if they are one doesn’t work and have devolved a great deal of power away from London to Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.

• Kelvin says:

Serious shows? Perhaps. Bad food. Nah.

Most British programming I’ve watched is full of humor; mostly of the the dry, unforced, yes-but-really-life-just-is-funny-that-way type that is hard to find over here in the States.

Also I wouldn’t do too much self-reflection when it comes to the representation of one’s country in video games. From my perspective over here in Pennsylvania, the British they’ve showed in the game seem fairly nice as far as cultural caricatures go.

Museums, pirates, and colonies may not be indicative of the culture as a whole, but they’re some of the most interesting and iconic bits of history from it. It all depends on how you look at it.

• jgf1123 says:

Well, the American developers made the Rough Riders a cavalry unit, despite the fact that the unit was effectively infantry since there wasn’t enough transport to bring their horses to Cuba. I think the Rough Rider get a bonus to fighting on their own continent, but the historical Rough Riders volunteered to fight overseas in the war where America became an imperial power. The unit was active for less than a year, but sure let’s make it an American unique unit.

I don’t think Firaxis thought too hard about historical accuracy.

• April March says:

It seems to be Roosevelt’s unique unit. America’s a fighter plane.

6. BenWH says:

Am I the only one who thinks Civ VI looks bugly? I like the unrevealed map effects and the obvious influence of Fallen Enchantress could be interesting on the cities but the eye candy ain’t doing it for me.

• KevinLew says:

You’re not alone. I liked art deco long before Civ 5 decided to use it for their theme. I especially miss the Century Gothic font used for city names and title bars, because it looked clean and neat. They’ve gone to a serifed font that I really don’t like.

• Neutrino says:

I think the map looks nice and the animations too. It’s just that the units themselves look like something made to amuse 4 year olds.

If a mod comes out that replaces the unit models with something a bit more grown up I might give it a go.

Lars Westergren says:

At least they didn’t make Soccer Team the unique unit.

8. Vintageryan says:

“I wonder if Scotland, for example, will be a separate civ.”

Likely it will be bundled in with the Celtic civ again.

9. Murdock says:

Yeah. I don’t like this graphics.
    I can’t tell why, yet. But I don’t like it.

10. Babymech says:

I wonder if the latest build still has that bug where Britain will suddenly ragequit in the modern era because of the color of their units.

11. Haplo says:

I do wonder how Civ 6 calculates continents. If England started on an island off the coast of a proper continent, would its bonuses apply to that continent or does the island count as separate?

I know Civ 5 seemed to code continents in certain ways but I’ve forgotten how exactly they did it.

distantlurker says:

I’m Queen Victoria, and this is my favourite tag on the Citadel.

13. Ur-Quan says:

What’s up with all the negativity? Civ VI looks pretty damn good and it seems they actually kept all the mechanics from CIV V and its expansions.

14. Gwyddelig says:

Isn’t all of Civ though the careful eliding of A Little Bit of Politics? I mean, I’m Irish so I’m going to be over-sensitised to the Prefidious Albion angle but presumably Napoleon will be in there too? You don’t have to be conversant with the works of Francisco Goya to know that his expansionary rule was often pretty awful. Likewise Ferdinand/Isabella for example. It’s the nature of empires and empire building.

The week that’s in it hardly helped though to be fair. Or maybe that was your point and I’m being obtuse…

15. Quimby says:

Interesting fact, when you take into account all of the UK Overseas Territories, the sun still doesn’t set on the ‘British Empire’.