Bang! Doom Update Adding Centred Weapons Option

Ooh aren't we old.

The new Doom [official site] already does a fine job of bringing some of that old ’90s feel to modern days, them lot will tell you, but id Software are adding something very old-school. An update arriving this week will add the option to have your fella hold his weapons right in the middle of the screen, just as space marines did back in the day. Oh, the update will also add a ‘Photo Mode’ to help folks take nice holiday snaps.

Centred weapons are such a silly small option that I’m glad id have added it. Its absence was hardly game-ruining but, y’know, it’s nice to have. More for the idea of it existing, the idea that they’d add it mostly back for giggles but also to please three really serious people, than because I’d use it. Thanks, id!

As for Photo Mode, that is a nice one. Details are very thin on quite what it’ll do, but presumably it’ll let folks switch to a free camera mode to pick shots? That’s what Photo Modes tend to do. I’m very glad to see more those options in more games (it is a shame that Nvidia’s cross-game Ansel will be only for Nvidia cards).

The update is due on Thursday, June 30th. Check the patch notes to see the fixes and tweaks also coming in that patch.

If you’ve not leapt to your Doom yet, a 40% discount in the Steam summer sale brings it down to £23.99/35,99€/$35.99. Oh hey, and it looks like the demo’s still available there after Bethesda extended it (as if the idea of a Doom trial being available for only a limited time was ever not the silliest idea).

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

PoulWrist says:

Still no Vulkan, though :(

2. Banks says:

Centred weapons > Weapons that shoot sideways

particlese says:

Also, Centred weapons > Weapons that teleport the projectile to a location in front of the user before it continues forward. Kinda like that one DS9 episode, except awkward and dangerous instead of awesome and conceptually scary.

• Dave3d says:

Also, they broke the fov when they did this.
      They switched gun and main game fov’s, so the gun is smaller and the main game is larger.
      Sucks for people like me that get sic in low fov.
      It will try to trick you, because the fov still says the same in the options, but if you toggle the classic weapon mode off, and go to fov option, it will be 20 or more lower.
      I have a bug over on Bethesda forums about it.

3. mouton says:

dammit Alice that alt-text

4. dirtrobot says:

Finally, back to the Freudian glory of the older id games!

5. Generico says:

Doom is the most fun I’ve had playing a shooter in a decade. Some things will never get old. Pulverizing demon heads and carving up hell beasts with a chainsaw are among those things.

6. Eukatheude says:

Finally, that was sorely needed and will likely result in several more hours of play by me.
    By the way the game is great, best guns in a lot of time.

7. Spacewalk says:

Now it’s Doom.

daktaklakpak says:

No fix yet for the “Unhandled exception caught” CTD, where the bug report window locks up so hard you have to kill it with task manager, and the game loses all your progress? The first real level was fun, but I can’t go more than about 10 minutes into the second one before this occurs. Hoping it gets fixed soon…

• jrodman says:

How do developers manage to do things like not store progress until crash?

• FriendlyFire says:

Save points tend to be a conscious design decision to prevent players from merely save scumming through the game. The game then obviously only saves at those specific points.

For quick save games, it becomes more a matter of efficiency. Storing progress immediately as it happens would be a never-ending disk write scenario, which is typically bad. Auto-saving every 30 seconds might be doable depending on the state required to store, but it must be doable entirely transparently to the player (many games will have visible hiccups when saving).

It’s unfortunately not as easy as it might appear.

daktaklakpak says:

And in this case, it doesn’t appear to write your checkpoint save to disk unless you quit the game. Thus, when it crashes, you lose all progress made this session.

I suppose I could quit and reload every time I hit a checkpoint, but what a pain in the backside.

9. mugsgame says:

I love it when my fella holds his weapon that way!
    No seriously, that’s pretty cool.

10. RegisteredUser says:

If they now added modding(reuires removing Denuvo), now THAT would be truly what oldschool DOOM was and still to this day is about.

11. tonicer says:

Kinda nice but the entire game is still pretty damn meh imho.

Mods like Project Brutality blows it out the water easily.

Kicking/slidekicking/jumpkicking/punching/knifing/shooting/gibbing/aroundwhatfeelslike50differentripping&tearinganimations/taunting/unlimitedamountoflevelsthankstohundredsorwads/gibsdonotdespawn/coop/acraptonofmods … just to name a few features that the new “doom” is missing in my humble opinion.

• tonicer says:

i hope now the “featurelist” is not cropped.

particlese says:

Ah, but can you glide around with both feet flailing away in front of your face? (I honestly don’t know, but that was hands down the best feature of Duke3D.)

12. Holysheep says:

Now remove the shitty, boring, action/gameplay breaking finish moves and the game is nearly perfect.

13. Jaykera says:

I try so hard to love this game but I feel like I’m just going from one weapon to another, empty clip, chainsaw, rince and repeat wave after wave… :/

• anon459 says:

Have you considered raising the difficulty?

• Jaykera says:

I did and I will probably try again. Difficulty only adds frustration on top of boredom when I die and have to restart an arena. (it usually means end of session)

14. Collieuk says:

Same. Reminds me of Painkiller from way back. Then you miss time a jump, fall to your death and have to redo same wave/action sequences again. The original Doom had a great flow of action, sometimes non-stop, other times slow and brooding. New Doom is just no action, reach a switch/new area and boom, 5 minutes of intense shooting before back to no action. Rinse and repeat.

15. KastaRules says:

Finally we can shoot the proper way!

16. TheRealHankHill says:

I played the new Doom demo and it bored me to tears.

• wodin says:

Me too..after ten mins I was totally bored and uninstalled the demo.