Puzzlebox ‘Em Up The Room Two On PC Next Week

Coming next week to PC is The Room 2, the video game sequel to Tommy Wiseau’s infamous- hang on, bah.

Coming next week to PC is The Room Two [official site], sequel to Fireproof Games’ lovely puzzlebox ’em up. As with the first, number Two is arriving on PC a few years after its mobile release but has been prettied-up for us.

I enjoyed what I’ve played of the first Room, though I’ve not the patience for puzzles myself. As I see it, everything either can be solved with brute force or isn’t as interesting as e.g. some water anyway. I throw things at the wall then sod off to a pond, basically, and have no problems with this. But our John really liked the first game, delighted by the thoughtful puzzling which never becomes “needlessly obscure”. He declared it one of the best puzzle games and all, but swears Two is even better. Ooh!

Fireproof have revamped, retextured, and rebuilt an awful lot for the PC version of Room Two, as this comparison video shows:

The Room 2 will arrive on Steam on July 5th. Here’s a general purpose trailer for it:

The first Room is in the Steam sale right now for £0.99/1,24€/$1.24.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Freud says:

I enjoyed the first one. Long enough that you felt you got value for your money but didn’t wear out it’s welcome. Like all good puzzle games it made you feel smart, which is a sign of good design.

Eleven says:

These are games that really need to be remade for VR. The mechanics of searching a small room for clues and physically manipulating puzzle boxes would work really well with roomscale VR and motion controllers…

3. vorador says:

I have all three of them on mobile. They’re quite good, among the best puzzle games i’ve played on a phone.

Might get this on a sale.

• Sarfrin says:

There’s a Room 3? Scurries off to the play store.

DrollRemark says:

I had heard it was coming out, but missed all announcements that it actually was! Happy days.

4. jj2112 says:

Wow a reference to Wiseau’s classic. And it’s a good game for a tablet but I’m not so sure about PC.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

“number Two is arriving on PC a few years after its mobile release but has been prettied-up for us” I don’t generally jump for joy when a mobile game gets ported to PC, but hopefully Number Two isn’t a piece of shit.

particlese says:

You can brute force the puzzles to some extent, and the hints can probably make it really easy (I peeked at a couple in the original, but the puzzles were generally pretty doable), but what I really like about the games is watching the mechanisms work. I’ve always loved finding “secret” drawers in old desks and such, and as a PC-based example, I spent some time in The Lab fiddling with the slingshot, watching it extend and contract in all its superfluous glory. The garage door handle in the “robot repair” part of that game also seemed unnecessarily intricate, and I was distracted by it for several minutes.

The Room games don’t have as much simultaneous movement as that, but the mechanisms are still fun to watch, if you’re into that.