Mad Mars: The Technomancer Out Today

The more I think about it the more I realize The Technomancer [official site] is just Mad Max: Fury Road on Mars but without the all the exploding cars. There’s a definite desert vibe and a massive shortage of water — so what else do you need? Well, in truth, probably a lot more. But still, The Technomancer looks intriguing and is out on Steam today.

The Technomancer is developed by Spiders. Yup, turns out even arachnids love them some post-apocalyptic science fiction. Okay seriously though, Spiders is a French studio and the same names behind Mars: War Logs (which is set in the same universe) and Bound By Flame. The Technomancer is a sci-fi action RPG where you are a “a warrior with the innate power to harness destructive electrical powers amplified by cybernetic implants,” which is a fancy way of saying you zap people like Electro. Using those powers, your character gets caught up in the war between corporations to control the dwindling supply of water.

In an interview with WCCFtech, Spiders Studio CEO Jehanne Rousseau had this to say:

“Mars is a lot bigger in The Technomancer compared to what you saw in Mars : War Logs. We’ve created vast, open areas that allow players to explore their secrets. The game’s world is built around several hubs and cities that can be unlocked – between which you can travel using a Martian rover. With regards to longevity, The Technomancer offers far more than any of our previous games. The main quest has 25 to 30 hours of play to offer, which is easily extended to around 50 hours with the inclusion of side quests. This is 4 times lengthier than Mars: War Logs, and The Technomancer contains around 4 times as many quests as Bound By Flame.”

Honestly, that has me a bit nervous. The Technomancer seems to be a great deal larger, but does that mean it’s going to fix any of the fundamental problems that have plagued just about every game made by Spiders? If you’re familiar with Mars: War Logs or Bound By Flame, both game are arguably not worth anyone’s time. When it comes to War Logs, John Walker said that “it’s so intrinsically dreary, infested with a dullness that doesn’t let any of its notions scrabble to the surface to become intrigue. And whatever its story wanted to be, the writing just can’t sustain it.”

I went hands on for about half an hour during E3 this year, and I’m really not sure, which I’m worried is pretty indicative. While the combat felt like a good bit of fun, the opening dialogue sections eroded a fair amount of the confidence I had that The Technomancer would be different. The delivery and lip syncing were both painful to watch at times. But all that said, I’m still wanting to give The Technomancer the benefit of the doubt because I want Spiders’s games to be good. That trailer does look great though, doesn’t it? They have heart, I’ll give them that.

The Technomancer is out later today on Steam for £34.99/44,99€/$44.99.

From this site

1. President Weasel says:

i didn’t finish War Logs, which used to be pretty rare for me.

2. DancesWithSheep says:

Trailer seems all yadda, yadda but I want bangs, banga.

3. DancesWithSheep says:

Why isn’t there the ability to edit posts on RPS?

• Pogs says:

Because then you would be able to edit out the things your brain told you to say and then typed but regretted later. RPS really hates self censorship…

• vlonk says:

For humans are flawed and life is a string of choices, some of which we learn to regret. RPS wants us to opinion away and boldly stand by our mistakes and failures.

Also Spambots made acceptable posts, then edited them into hideous spam. They circumvented the spam prevention, so the edit button had to go.

phuzz says:

Because the edit function really stressed out old William the Web Server, so it was either new server, or no edit button.

Or maybe it’s a paean to the fragility of existence.
      One or the other.

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

I think think it’s one of those British things where you don’t fix things until they piss you off beyond your (remarkably high) pain threshold, at which point you more likely ragequit than try to fix them.
      Like separate water taps.

Qazinsky says:

I thought that was what the supporter money was for, collect enough to buy a new edit button after someone accidentally stepped on and broke the old one.

• suramoto says:

Omg… all those comments are terrific. Love RPS even more!

4. H-Alien says:

Not sure about the game, never played a Spiders game before but I must say the trailer is pretty great, nice pacing and some fine music.

5. Jane Doe says:

War Logs started out okay, but quickly turned dull as dishwater. Decisions had no consequences, the romances were a “I want sex”-button and the combat was a painful reminder of Dragon Age 2’s “let’s throw some random waves at the player”.

I will be staying far away from this.

6. Unsheep says:

Mass Effect 2 and 3 could have needed more.
    Skyrim could have needed much more.
    Dragon Age Inquisition could have needed more.
    Dark Souls 3 could have needed more.
    Fallout 4 could have needed more.
    Diablo 3 could have needed more.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution could have needed more.
    Borderlands 1-3 could have needed more.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Life could have had much more… This post could have had much more…

7. Rumpelstiltskin says:

I’m not the only one who actually enjoyed War Logs, am I?

• Polmansol says:

No, you’re not. I still have to finish it tho.

• Ancha says:

I also liked War Logs, sure the story wasn’t absolutely superb but the game play was much better than Bound By Flame. I enjoyed the combat system and upgrading the equipment and weapons. Their games are slowly getting better with each new title.

• mika76 says:

I agree – even The Witcher 1 had bad voice acting and had to be re-recorded once :)

8. Samwise says:

‘The Technomancer [official site] is just Mad Max: Fury Road on Mars but without the all the exploding cars’

…but that’s the best bit!

9. HarryMannbach says:

I want to want to play this game, I really do. But… the trailer scares me a bit. It seems that this is basically a blatant rip-off of the Witcher’s combat system (which I can’t imagine they will have pulled off as brilliantly), set in a universe that _should_ appeal to me (being mildly William Gibson-y and whatnot) but with a story and acting that is going to make me want to spoon my eyes out and stuff panda dung in my ears.

Can anyone confirm that this is not, in fact, the case? Because I really _do_ want to want to play it…