GTA V Players Have Solved A Beastly Mystery

The urban legends surrounding Grand Theft Auto V [official site] and its supposed myriad of secrets are just about as daft as people who actually think Bigfoot exists. But I guess the only people laughing now are 30 “codewalkers” who, against all odds, believed in their conviction and have solved a months-long mystery involving golden peyote, Bigfoot, and a 1985 teen comedy about a werewolf.

This all started last year when players discovered a fabled golden peyote plant that, upon being consumed, transformed them into Bigfoot so they could run around doing Bigfoot things. But as players scanned through the code in GTA’s files, they began to suspect there was more to the golden peyote plant than just turning into a hairy beast.

Thus began the long journey to get to the bottom of this rabbit hole. Kotaku has a great write up about the specifics, but the gist of it is that Rockstar left a hint in the code that eventually led players to discovering that other peyote plants existed but could only be found by standing on specific coordinate at a certain time of day with certain weather conditions active. To do this without hacking the game would be mostly impossible, but players were able to engineer the proper conditions to make each of seven golden peyote plants appear.

From there, players were tipped off by another clue in the code that made them realize that by using Bigfoot’s special growl, they could hear a beastly snarl in the distance. By following that snarl, they’d encounter a series of corpses until finally encountering the beast itself…

Yup. It’s Michael J. Fox from the movie Teen Wolf. And after killing him, players are rewarded by being able to play the wolf in GTA V’s director mode, which is used to make videos. All of this for a movie reference? I just don’t understand the internet.

From this site

1. NephilimNexus says:

And here I was hoping after all that effort maybe we’d finally discover a likable character.

• Sleepery says:

How can you possibly not like Trevor? He’s just so wonderfully psychotic!

phuzz says:

We had a rule in our house, when playing as Trevor, one must roleplay as Trevor.
        Shoot police, run over pedestrians, smash cars off the road, basically just behave like every other GTA player ever.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I think both Michael and Trevor were likeable, in their own twisted ways.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Who ever said characters have to be likeable? Is Tony Montana likeable? Is Patrick Bateman?

• HopeHubris says:

You don’t have to play those characters.

• Zankman says:

How does the game (by virtue of being a game) being interactive change anything?

Those two are protagonists, just like the GTA ones; You follow their story.

You don’t have to play them and you don’t have to watch the movies.

yhancik says:

It.. changes everything? Admittedly maybe not to all players (judging by your comment), but the thing being interactive is not an insignificant detail at all.

• Bruwin says:

Apparently you’ve never played the Scarface game before, where you play Tony Montana then.

yhancik says:

They don’t, just like they don’t always have to be major dicks :)

• DrollRemark says:

Oh, for characters in a GTA game that were as good as Patrick Bateman or Tony Montana.

• Hebrind says:

I don’t necessarily have to like a character to understand it or appreciate its contribution to the medium I’m enjoying – I just treat GTA a bit like an RPG. And throughout it, I’m roleplaying some horrible, horrible people.

2. Cropduster says:

Ha! This goes back a long way. I remember back 10 years when San Andreas was released people were convinced that bigfoot could be found in game, and there were like 5-10 websites and forums sharing hints, speculation and general dark campfire tales about where to find the beast. “walk in your underpants around the shack on mount Chilliad, listening for the growls at midnight” sort of thing.

Was pretty amazing, they were small but super active and dedicated communities, I hope they feel vindicated now.

• Pantalaimon says:

Oh man I suppose I was part of that group. But this extended to offline. Any time the game was being played people would talk about ‘so have you heard about…’ such and such thing, that they half believed. And a few hours would be lost following really loose instructions to try and debunk it.

Credit to Rockstar for their world building that makes these little stories possible, no matter how real they are.

• shevtsov200 says:

I don’t remember bigfoot, but I remember how many people were convinced that you can find UFO in gta sa.

3. GenialityOfEvil says:

“All of this for a movie reference? I just don’t understand the internet.”

Seth MacFarlane has based his entire career on 80s references.

4. Pantalaimon says:

And now Rockstar bans them all for ‘modding’. Or are they over that?

This does make me wonder about the other urban myths of GTA games, I’d love someone to write about them, talk to some of the players who spent time looking at them, and all that.

I remember that during the time of GTA IV there was a myth about the subways that perpetuated itself in the online lobbies to such an extent that you would find groups of players exploring down there, looking for this elusive ‘beast’ that was said to roam around down there (based off some random markings and a lot of blood and drag marks around the subway toilets).

I think it was just a bit of fun, but at the same time, when me and my friends would go down there to look we pretty much convinced ourselves and each other it was real, and we’d still get absolutely shit scared when some random hobo jumped out of the shadows.

There was also a legend that in GTA San Andreas, if you stood on this particularly creepy little dock at night, and looked out over the lake, you’d summon some psycho murderer dude from a cabin behind you. Again, you walk there thinking it’s a load of nonsense but something about urban myths and never knowing, still made it completely terrifying to stand there all exposed.

• Cropduster says:

Ah yes the hunt for Leatherface! People used to have pretty serious arguments about whether it was the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre or from Manhunt.

• ChipDipson says:

really, slipped in a bit of pro-cheater advocacy there? Their ability to keep cheaters at bay is limited enough, i sure hope they never “get over” even trying.

• Pantalaimon says:

Nothing to do with cheating, no.

But modding advocacy, sure.

5. gbrading says:

Well the Chiliad Mystery might be real after all, given all this. Funny; I literally uninstalled GTA V yesterday; it was taking up a mindboggling 64GB of space and I wanted to play some other stuff.

6. Fnord73 says:

Would love to see an interview with the Rockstar Easter-egg person. Why? Oh Why?

• phelix says:

Well, why not? It’s a testament to Rockstar’s worldbuilding that they can keep players (semi-)actively searching for months or even years, with nothing but sparse trails of crude drawings and/or strategically placed ambient sounds that may or may not actually lead anywhere. I don’t believe in most of the urban myths surrounding GTA, but they sure make for entertaining story material.

7. KastaRules says:

That was a hell of a chore just to get a new character in director’s mode!

8. w0bbl3r says:

Is it definitely teenwolf? Looks more like the wolf from Stephen king’s IT to me. Or the teen werewolf from the old black and white horror movie that it was based on.

9. Mozmachine says:

I am the person who found out about the growl that lead us on the trail. The only help from the code I had was knowledge of the the existence of the Golden Peyotes. It was just playing the game and trying ideas that lead to my discovery. The “codewalkers” did find the location of the final trigger, this is true.