Children Of The ADOM: Vanilla Bagel – The Roguelike

Vanilla Bagel [Steam page] is a proper roguelike. None of that roguelite or roguelikelike stuff here – you’ve got a big old inventory to manage, dungeons to explore, impossible odds stacked against you, and a whole lot of things to learn. It appeared on Steam a couple of weeks ago and that was the first I’d heard of it. Last night I decided to take it for a spin and have decided that it has enough in common with one of my faves, ADOM, that it’s earned a spot on my weekend playlist.

The ADOM comparison came to mind for two reasons. First of all there are specific dungeons to visit on an overland map, giving a broader structure than in the single dungeon depth-diving games. Then there are the tactical ‘stances’ that can be used in various combat situations. I haven’t played enough to know how much of an impact they’ll have yet – in fact, I haven’t played enough to grasp the basics. Controls are simple enough, provided you’ve played any of the big traditional roguelikes, but the finer details are a little fuzzy.

That’s a good thing. It took me years to amass my Nethack knowledge and I’m still chipping away at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I’ve found this reddit thread particularly helpful as a primer for Vanilla Bagel but if you’re bold, you might want to go in blind.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Harlander says:

The tileset looks pretty nice.

A project that’s come onto my radar recently, trying to create an ADOM-y feel, but with randomness applied to locations and plot as well as the usual, is Numenfall (though I haven’t been able to play it just yet)

Minsc_N_Boo says:

This looks like fun! I have only dipped my toe in the water in terms of Rogue games.

ZangbandTK was the first one i tried (thanks to Kieron Gillen’s PCGamer article) and I have not really gelled with the other popular titles. DCSS looks good too

• ZedZed says:

I’ll need to take a look at this. DCSS (Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) is in my top 3 games of all time, and it may be number 1, so I’m a sucker for a proper rougue game (with tileset!). Sounds a bit like DCSS as well if a wiki / help page is useful … there’s so much to learn that you just can’t commit it ALL to memory.

3. SirFinbar says:

It’s a shame you RPS fellas don’t talk more about Tales of Maj’Eyal 4 more, it really is a cracking game.

That being said I need to start playing more of my roguelike collection. I want to get ADOM on steam, cus you know, online identity and all, and this looks interesting too. What a gorgeous tileset!

4. Replikant says:

I hate the stunlocks in ToME. In Nethack I usually have some means of escape (there are some insta-death situations, though, like when I met the chameleon maskerading as Giant Shoggoth on the town level in Slash’EM).
    In ToME I usually end up frozen or stunned or whatever with all escape mechanisms on cool-down. I admit, though, I probably suck.

caff says:

ADOM is the master of all roguelikes. I preferred the ASCII original to the tileset version though. I’m such an elitist.