Hitman’s Fifth Elusive Target Now Roaming Marrakesh

The next episode of Hitman [official site] isn’t due until later in July, but IO Interactive are ringing in the new month with a little spot of murder. The fifth ‘Elusive Target’ is here, an arms dealer hanging around Marrakesh for three days before he vanishes forever. Five is a magic number, as it means folks who snuff this chap out and have hit all previous targets can unlock Ian’s suit from Hitman Absolution.

The Gunrunner is already on the loose, so do hop on over to Marrakesh if you want to catch him. As ever with Elusive Targets, if you fail the hit or don’t get him before these three days are up, he’ll be gone forever – no second chances. You’ve got until Monday at 1pm UK time (or this o’clock in your time zone) to do the dastardly deed.

Five successful elusive hits will earn players the Hitman Absolution Signature Suit, with a snazzy tie pin and a pair of leather driving gloves. This being the fifth target, this could your first chance to get these threads:

The Summer Bonus Episode, for which a release date hasn’t been announced yet, is not adding new locations. It’ll bring two big new hits in Morocco and Sapienza, with a mole to whack in the former and a movie star to extinguish in the latter. It looks like the film crew have worked Sapienza over a bit, mind, including plopping in a whopping great robot. After that, the final three episodes will go to Thailand, the USA, then Japan.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. G_Man_007 says:

All credit to you Alice, and nothing against you at all, but a restricted function in a game locked behind expensive DLC should not be news. Unless we’re deriding it.

Thirith says:

That’s a disingenuous description at best. You pay, say, a fifth of the price of a game in order to get a fifth of a game, and then you get the additional items associated with this. Got Sapienza? You get access to the additional Sapienza elements. Got Marrakesh? You get to play this Elusive Target. What exactly is there to deride here? That you couldn’t buy and access the entire game already at a regular price, at a point when the entire game hasn’t actually been made yet, but instead you get to buy discrete, self-contained parts?

• G_Man_007 says:

It’s a horrible way to go with the already unwelcome concept of DLC (it’s just ridiculously expensive to buy a complete game like one of the CoDs [I know, who would want to…]), and now we have time sensitive exclusivity for those who are prepared to pay the full inflated price for a(n admittedly good looking) game.

This punishes those who prefer to wait to buy a game (cheaper obviously, but also the opportunity for a more complete, stable, value product), and is indicative of an industry where publishers will squeeze every penny they can, and a little more for often unfinished products. We will now be denied these missions (unless Eidos renege on their exclusivity promise), and this has left a sour taste in my mouth ever since I read of the “feature”.

A far better method would be to have these missions occur at random, possibly with a slider or adjustment option in the menu to control frequency, and a function to alert you through SMS or social media that the target is available for a very short random window. At work? Ah well, you’ll have to wait until next time, whenever that will be. That would provide a better sense of urgency. Imagine if you got the message (already covert and providing an immersive blurring of the real and virtual worlds – like when I played GTA 3 and started seeing the cars in the game everywhere in the real world) and were able to rush and complete (or not) the contract within that window. Now that would be a much more suitable use of the idea.

And you could even provide it as a DLC. I’d much prefer that, and I hate the idea of DLC.

• G_Man_007 says:

Of course, I meant Square Enix when I said Eidos…

• Arathorn says:

Why shouldn’t a publisher give people an incentive to buy the game at full price? Things are discounted for a reason.

Game companies are not charities or political parties. They don’t promise you anything for the future, they sell you a product. At the moment you are in the market for a certain product you decide whether what’s on offer is worth what is being asked for it. Then you either buy it or you don’t. It’s really that simple.

• G_Man_007 says:

I agree, but it’s the wrong incentive, creates a two tier experience (i.e. complete for those who can or are willing to afford it, and incomplete for those who can’t or aren’t), alienates your customer base (and socially divides them to some respect), and makes people such as myself not want to purchase at all. This needs, nay, demands criticism.

Publishers have been doing this for a while now, and this is not the worst example, though it’s pretty much a severe slap in the face. I’ve never liked the concept of DLC, though the old way of releasing a game, and then creating NEW content as an add-on and charging a reasonable amount for that was fine. Now we have the scramble for more and more cash by slicing up the finished product, charging full price for say 60% of the finished article, and then charging at least 50% of the original product’s price for each of the subsequent 40% of the game (say 2-6 more DLC products) which is price gouging. But then, we can argue for cheaper games and better value, but we’ll see quality, creativity and enjoyment suffer by less investment, a lack of new IPs and constant rehashing of franchises. We’re not in control, and the industry is becoming a lot less fun than it used to be.

As I said previously as an example, Activision is one of the chief culprits, and not just for the artificial inflation of the CoD series’ value through “DLC Butchery”, but also from Bobby Kotick’s reinforcement of this inflation through the principle of adding $5/£5 to the price of a game/DLC a few years ago, and the idea of subscription fees for popular multiplayer games. I remember a time when EA were the Games Industry “bad guys”…

Square Enix’s idea with Hitman is not quite the same, but it’s from the same place. I can get behind the concept of limited time opportunity contracts, but using it as a purchasing incentive and denying future customers who chose their price point is wrong. My example above of randomising, introducing control and a social media notification is more persuasive and would make me more likely to purchase the game nearer the value point that they place on it. If you fail one of the time limited contracts, then why not have them reappear in another location at a later date in a randomised fashion and on a much more limited scale? It’s getting towards the end of the day, you’re in a meeting, and you get a text. You’ve got two hours to start up the game, then you have to complete the contract. It’ll take you at least 1 hour and 30 minutes to make it home. It would bring that sense of urgency into the real world.

It’s 12.30am, you’re about to call it a night and go to bed, or you’re already there. Then you get the call; the Chef is in Sapienza… Wouldn’t that be better, and everyone could benefit from this function, rather than buying into it right now and having missed four contracts that they say will never come around again?

I think that two things reinforce my point:

1. Currently, the Steam Summer Sale is on and the game has not been reduced – Doom has not been out for near as long, and it’s 40% off…

2. Hitman currently has a Mixed user rating of 7,521 reviews, Positive 4,288 and Negative 3,233. Parallels with the EU Referendum aside, this does show that coupled with the comments in the reviews section (one user gives an eloquent ascii middle finger), others have the same opinion as me over this “feature” of the game, not to mention (Steam reviewers’ issues) having to be “always online” for the reward features, the server connection issues for single player, the optimisation, going from a level a month to a level every two (the amount of maps can be argued over as they are quite large I understand), and having graphical features locked, but those aren’t my direct issues…

I loved Blood Money, and the decision making they have displayed with the new game is displeasing.

• Raoul Duke says:

The complaint is about this being treated as news. By now everyone knows about Hitman and it’s horrible approach to releasing content. Another article which is basically “they are still doing that” is repetitive and a poor substitute for news about something actually new.

• Blastaz says:

I thoroughly agree. Why is each and everyone of these news?

It must be the best way to get free publicity since Witcher 3’s DLC policy, and at least a couple of those represented real new content.

If square want people to know these are up maybe they should send people who have registered the game an email?

• Mikemcn says:

The elusive missions are rad, they add tension to an otherwise very repeatable game. And i don’t spend all my time looking at the hitman twitter feed, so it’s a good way to know what has been released.

There’s a billion escalations and user-made contracts if you’r upset about not having bought all the areas.

• Raoul Duke says:

If you want to know about minor dlc for a game you already own then Twitter is precisely the place for that.

• Raoul Duke says:

Yes, rps guys and girls, please stop rewarding this obnoxious, anti-consumer marketing ploy. Why not wait until the whole game is actually released and then write about it in one go.

2. wheeb says:

This has only been out half an hour. I reckon I’m the first person to fail 5 elusive targets in a row.

I deserve some sort of stinky medallion.

heretic says:

I failed the second Sapienza one because I walked into my own proximity mine as I had not used one before and didn’t realise how they worked.

Managed to do the other 4 and did unlock the Absolution suit today so it seems you don’t need to succeed in all 5?

Also one thing that wasn’t clear to me at the beginning is that you can restart the Elusive contract as many time as you want as long as you don’t die or kill the target, once you kill the target you only have one chance to escape.

3. NephilimNexus says:

Hype this game all you want, but I heard it tested positive for Denuvo. There’s no way I’m sticking my mouse in that.

4. Wednesday says:

My first screw up with an Illusive.

Got spotted in the basement trying to nab a disguise by the NPC who isn’t normally there. I still got him, but it was a bloodbath

phuzz says:

Alice! That alt-text is a bit rude ;)