Overwatch Now Celebrating Hot Dunks, As Games Must

Every first-person game with a basketball and a basketball net should celebrate your hot dunks. That’s just science, plain and simple. System Shock 2 knows this, Deus Ex knows this, Half-Life 2 knows this, and Overwatch [official site] has joined these hallowed ranks with a recent update. Successfully knock a ball through the hoop you’ll find in several of the game’s starting areas and it’ll now celebrate with cheers and a shower of confetti. As video games should.

Check out this hot shot by ‘dolgo’:

Good. That is correct. Blizzard understand video games.

But as nice as the festivities are, some players are unhappy that Blizzard have futzed with the ball physics. Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan has said, in response to complaints that balls are now far too bouncy, “We have a big ball tuning pass coming soon.” He added, “Unfortunately, I am totally not kidding.”

I do enjoy the contrast between the po-faced twaddle and warlore Blizzard aspire to in their animated shorts, the silly things characters actually do in-game, and the goofy fun fan art I see on Twitter every day. As I understand it, they’re all super-friends and they get up to lots of playful teasing and pranking and eating Doritos and heavy petting. Now they’re playing with confetti together.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Jekadu says:

Alice, there is an enormous problem about this site that this article highlights: there are no other articles tagged with “hot dunk”.

• Ferno says:

I don’t think any further comments are necessary. You’ve successfully Hot Dunked this piece.

2. Author X says:

I wonder if the ball tweaks are related to the fact that you can drop a trap (or mine, or laser turret) onto a ball and send it flying across the map. I’ve never seen that used as a “real” strategy, but it’s the only way I can imagine it making a real difference.

• Procrastination Giant says:

I’d wager a guess and say that the ball tweaks are mostly related to Widowmaker’s grapple, since it’s currently possible to make (multiple) Widowmaker(s) fly across the map by grappling onto a ball. Haven’t seen anyone use that trick in an actual game yet, but in the right hands it might actually be quite gamebreaking.

• Phasma Felis says:

I’m hoping they don’t fix this before I get a chance to attach six Symmetra turrets to a basketball and send it bouncing among the enemy.

Because that is actually a thing that you can do, at the moment.

3. gpown says:

boy, that’s a remarkable escalation from doritos.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

Annoyingly, the Deus Ex “Sign him up for the Knicks!” message appears if you just get the ball to hit into the backboard — it has nothing to do with getting it through the hoop… In fact, I’m not sure the ball CAN fit through the hoop.

The is the only manner in which Deus Ex fails me, but it is of critical importance.

lasikbear says:

“nothing to do with getting it through the hoop” seems pretty fitting for the Knicks these days.

• Smoof says:

Maybe my memory is failing, but I seem to recall in the first version of Deus Ex, when you’d make a shoot through the hoop it would say, “God shot!” and no, I’m not misspelling that.

5. tikey says:

I now feel obliged to post this video:

6. JarinArenos says:

Few things are more disappointing in gaming than succeeding in a particularly difficult hot dunk, and then having the game not recognize it, because the devs just never considered it.

7. NephilimNexus says:

Isn’t that a Cybrid Executioner?