What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Oh flipping heck, are we half-way through the year already? There are so many things I was going to get stuck into after a few weeks of rest and now… no matter! Surely summer will arrive soon and we’ll all be gaily skipping down country lanes picking blackberries and climbing trees and laughing our little selves sick. Until then, video games! What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re on:

Adam: I think this is the weekend I’ll try to tackle Dead by Daylight. It sounds fantastic on paper – four players are survivors attempting to escape from a fifth player who takes the role of a killer. It’s a slasher movie made into a game. I’ve already tried a couple of rounds and it’s all a little more restrictive than I’d expected, with strict rules that seem to make it more a case of following patterns of play rather than simply sneaking and stalking, but I’m hoping to have at least one session on Sunday so I can understand it better.
Alec: I’m going back into XCOM 2 after a few months off, to check out that there DLC and whether it still runs at nine frames per second on my PC. My feelings towards it have cooled significantly – I think I’d rather fire up XCOM Enemy Within again – but maybe boss aliens and the final fate of that anxious engineer blokey will change all that.
Alice: Talking about Steam sale picks has me installing Cook, Serve, Delicious again. If I can slip into the kitchentrance it’ll be wonderfully calming. If I can’t, I will be ruddy furious. I might also have another crack at Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, as I’m curious to see what I’ll make of it after The Phantom Pain. More tense, probably? Requiring a bit more planning without magical balloons to carry away sleeping targets? Or maybe I’ll miss my dog and my gal pal.
Graham: This weekend I will be playing zilch, because I still don’t have internet in my own house. I could play something that doesn’t require an internet connection, but I can’t think what game that would be. No, better to wait till next weekend, when I should be wired up and ready to go.
John: I really hope to get a chance to play with my new PC this weekend, see what games I can run on maximum for the sake of running on maximum.

(I had a quick go with Ark on max and got 19fps which was demoralising – what the heck PC do you need to have that on full?!) What’s your favourite game for testing a new rig, human reader?

I’m also really hoping Inside PC code shows up too, as I’m looking forward to playing that – hearing good things.

Philippa: I’m on HOLIDAY! Maybe I will be lying in the garden, sunning myself and enjoying a fancy cocktail! Or, more likely I will be putting on my mac and watching the slugs and snails gallivanting around the garden and enjoying what is essentially an all-you-can-eat buffet. Maybe I’ll try some basic gardening interventions to stem their tide, but that’s a road that ends up with you playing tower defence against a horde of gastropods forever.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Spacewalk says:

I got back into Minecraft this week and that’s likely to continue.

2. Agnosticus says:

Bought R6: Siege a few days ago, great game and many hours of enjoyment to come!

But what really surprised me the most was Action Henk. It’s got everything a good platformer needs: Responsiv controls, great level design, good sense of speed and momentum, catchy soundtrack, nice esthetic, highly replayable, leaderboards and stats and last but not least local coop.
    It’s the most fun I’ve had with a platformer since Super Meatboy!

3. W4nT4n says:

Just installed Mount Your Friends. It’s about to get a little bit hot n steamy in our VoiceChat

Lars Westergren says:

Dota 2, doing International Ranked games. Now up to 2.6K mmr, my regular is around 2k, so now I feel I have to do the 40 games need to transfer the ranking once TI is over.

Holopoint, a little bit of Pillars of Eternity.

Vandelay says:

Lucky you. I had an awful experience with the International ranked mode. I am already at an abysmal 1.4mmr and thought it would be great to try to get that reset to something better. My placement games, without exception, were all with the worst group of people you are likely to play with in Dota. Even the games we won were real slogs through abuse, in-team fighting and bitching.

Ended up getting an MMR of about 1.6, around about what I got way back when I originally did placement games! I know I am significantly better than I was back then (mainly because I just played whatever the hell hero I wanted without caring as to whether I knew what I was doing or not.) It was very disheartening and pretty much a waste of my time, when I could probably have almost reached the same MMR in the regular ranked mode in the same time (been having a bit of winning streak in it of late.)

• King Trode of Trodain says:

Good news! You will not have to play “normal” ranked to transfer the rating, a big thing about this international ranked was that you get the option to just plain let your international score overwrite your old one at the end of TI. For me that’s not very useful though, seeing as I had 2600 to begin with and the calibrated at… 2590. I still play the international type when I solo queue right now though, seeing as it’s basically risk free, either I get something higher or I lose nothing :)

• King Trode of Trodain says:

Never mind, evidently I am illiterate and without memory. 40 games, yes. And I should git playin’…

5. GameCat says:

Stardew Valley. This game is a one big time stealer.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The crops must flow.

• cairbre says:

Bought it in the sale only have played about an hour I didn’t think I would like it but I do. Overwatch too cartoony games are a nice change of pace sometimes

6. Barberetti says:

After being kept awake until 5am by my arsehole neighbour, I decided to start the weekend with an invigorating dose of AC/DC.

Very loudly.

Content with the sounds of bumping, fumbling, and the odd bit of swearing coming through the wall, I’ve switched my attention to the issue of “What I Am Playing This Weekend”.

And I dunno. I’m on the final stage of Torchlight 2, so I might complete that. I’m kinda tempted with KSP, but I’ve got stuff to do later, and I know I’ll never get that done once I start tinkering with spaceships.

Hmm. Yeah. For now, Torchlight 2 it is!

• trjp says:

You can always tell when your neighbour likes your musical choices as they will starting drumming on the wall…

cockpisspartridge says:

Back in the day I used to dish out ‘battlefield 2 replaced machine gun with sub at max, placed against the wall. Haha.

7. Imbecile says:

Not sure. Probably Battlefield hardline after picking it up for 4 quid, but possibly Gone Home instead. Might revert back to the excellent invisible inc, but I’m still really struggling to make any headway on expert. Also Rocket League.

8. Chorltonwheelie says:

Games for testing a new card/pc you say?
    I always throw Metro and HL2 at it….might add Everyone’s Gone To The Rapture to my regular compare me do’s.

9. der_Zens0r says:

DOOM, because have the weapon centered is so great!

10. Ufofighter says:

Xcom 2 to try Alien Hunters an Shen’s dlc’s. And probably I will play Solus Project a bit before going to bed as it makes wonders against my insomnia.

11. Andrew says:

Payday 2” if free in Steam, so.

zinzan says:

Playing be nice to family, esp (my wifes) this weekend. It’s a challenging game as the rules change without warning and the memory requirements are a bit extreme as performance drops radically if you have a memory leak. OTOH the rewards for outstanding success tend to be erotic bonus levels :)

13. tigerfort says:

Currently Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, which is an enjoyable relaxingly silly diversion from the real world.

14. melnificent says:

Space Pirate Trainer… the game that makes you realise how unfit you really are.

15. UniuM says:

I’m going not to play Overwatch, wich i allready know will fail miserably.
    I’m going to try one of my SSS picks, maybe This war of Mine will be first.

16. DEspresso says:

Playing a Puzzle game called Hook, yay for steamsale :)

Alfy says:

Going back to Invisible, inc., I barely scratched the surface the first time I played it. And I’ll interspace it with Hexcell, which I got thanks to RPS advice yesterday night, and am already thoroughly enjoying.

Good weekend everyone!!

• Jaykera says:

“Invisible inc.” as well. I’ve always been terrible at tactical games but I had a lot of fun with “Steamworld heist”, which is basically “tactical games for dummmies”.

As I get more confident, I’ll probably end up buying “Stellaris”, play the tutorial for 16 hours, vomit and go back to fps.

Alfy says:

Stellaris is actually rather simple, like most Paradox games at release nowadays. And the AI is not very aggressive, so you might find it a sedate experience.

• cairbre says:

Sing it brother!!

18. Fomorian1988 says:

This week I’ll be playing Catching Up With Game of Thrones Now That I Know It Improved After The Crappy Season 5. Also I intend to check out Oxenfree, I’ve been catching up with smaller 2016 releases recently (like Pony Island),

TehK says:

Got this in the Steam sale, because it was cheaper than a pack of crisps and oh my god, is that game good!

20. kelmorg says:

Mordheim:City of the damned and Renowned Explorers.

21. zarniwoop says:

Project Cars

Toot Toot!

22. Jiblet says:

Subnautica until I vomit, so about 10 minutes of Seamoth piloting with their shonky mouse controls :(

And then something a little more… static. Maybe some System Shock Enhanced and the demo of the new shiny version.

• Orix says:

Aye, just booted it up for the first time this morning. I was playing it via Steam Link on my TV, and the aspect ratio was a little off. Have a bit of a headache now.

That being said, the polish on this early access title is pretty impressive. I spent 3 hours swimming close to my pod until I crafted a radiation suit and a few essentials. Had a bit of a ganzy around the crash site and scanned lots of creatures. Not got as far as crafting my own habitat yet. Also not playing it with hunger and thirst on my first go, feel a need to settle in before I try a challenge.

Pretty fun so far, might just play it on my monitor next time and hope for less strain on my eyes.

• Sakkura says:

Been playing that in VR. Kinda shocked it hasn’t made me sick, because it’s really janky. The framerate varies wildly, and it’s a bit disconcerting when you notice holes in the world. And the control scheme is kinda broken, it’s mostly controller but to move stuff between inventory and containers you need to use a mouse… At least swimming up and down feels really natural.

• Jiblet says:

I’m not even using VR, just a normal(ish) monitor.
      Swimming around is absolutely fine, but piloting the Seamoth for any length of time makes me want to hurl. The controls kind of fight you to try to recenter all the time; it’s most odd.

Couple that with going out into a mushroom forest where there’s a bucket load of object pop-in and I’m reaching for the sick-bags.

Other than that it really is a wonderful game! :)

Vandelay says:

I picked up MGSV the other day, so will be playing that. Played through the prologue last night. Those that shit make any sense eventually? I assumed that it was all stuff that was going on his mind from having just woken from a coma (mostly hallucinations and half remembered images from the attack on the base that closes Ground Zeroes,) but it seemed very keen on making the flaming guy and the strange floating gas mask wearing woman seem as if they were making everything explode.

Anyway, seems as if all that stuff won’t be reflective of the rest of the game, so looking forward to some sneaky infiltration and balloons attached to goats.

Also ordered a couple of extra expansion packs for the wonderful card game Doomtown, which recently received the sad news of it discontinuing in October. Probably won’t get to take them for a ride just yet, but will likely be spending some time deckbuilding.

• malkav11 says:

I think it’s adorable you think a Metal Gear Solid game will ever make any sense. ;)

Vandelay says:

Haha, yeah I might be asking too much.

Just been attacked by some weird zombie like things that seemed to pull machine guns out of their hands. I knew this series was strange, but I didn’t realise it was filled with supernatural elements.

• Stellar Duck says:

It has always been there.

In MGS Psycho Mantis would float around reading your PS1 memory card and comment on how much Crash Bandicoot I played.

In MGS2 I think it was not super present. Vamp though.

In MGS3 you have The Sorrow, a guy shooting bees and Vamp, if memory served.

In MGS4, for most of the game Ocelot seems to be possessed by Liquid Snake via his attached arm. And another Psycho Mantis alike lady.

Although I suppose most of that came down to nano machines, son.

• malkav11 says:

MGS2 also hsd Fortune, who literally deflects bullets. And then there’s…things…later on. It’s not supernatural exactly but stuff gets real weird. But then, MGS2 is a) deliberate trolling of MGS fans by Kojima and b) sadly unfinished.

• Stellar Duck says:

By things do you mean… the things that happen late in the game where the fission is mailed and so on? Because that shit was great!

MGS2 may be my favourite of the lot for being so unabashedly its own thing. Snake Eater played it a lot safer.

I remember my brother asking why the hell I was fighting a guy in roller skates who was setting bombs on the roof of an oil rig when he saw me play. I didn’t really have any sensible answer.

• Geebs says:

Well, obviously, you’d killed your soul and that was the only way you could defuse your own sins. Barely needs explaining, really.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’d love to have a superpower that gave me the option to be there in spirit-form when somebody played their first MGS. It doesn’t matter which one you start with, the effect will be the same. The dawning realisation that this is not the ultra-serious military stealth game you were lead to expect is a thing of beauty to behold. The “what the hell man? What? WHAT?”s are what give me life.

Recently started MGS5 myself. I’m a long-time player, my brother has never played MGS, and we’re going through it together. It’s damned good fun.

Andy_Panthro says:

I stopped playing MGS5 to turn my attention to other games, but I really should go back to it.

I love the general play, sneaking about and completing objectives (usually that involved a huge amount of balloons!). Not so sure on the main plot, which seems 50% good and 50% weird for the sake of weirdness. Probably doesn’t help that I’ve never played a Metal Gear game before.

• Mi-24 says:

The tutorial level is just awful, but the rest is good

• cairbre says:

The tutorial is indeed awful and the zombie men annoy me but it’s a game I can see myself chipping away at for a long time. It puts the stealth mechanics in most other games to shame

24. Kamestos says:

Lego Star Wars Force Awakens.
    I am pleasantly surprised by the new gameplay elements and the general presentation.

25. aircool says:

Wargame: Red Dragon, then team up with a friend for Overwatch in the evening.

• cairbre says:

Red dragon is on my steam list of shame is the single player any good? I don’t want to learn another online rts. I’m trying hard to remain Rubbish in CoH 2

26. TELH says:

On the PC side of thibgs, I’ll be starting a new campaign on XCOM 2, this time with the DLC installed. I also finally learned the basics of Civilization earlier this week, so I might jump into Civ V as well.

I decided I wanted to replay the Halo series as well, so I’ve hooked up the Xbox 360 again to give that a go.

27. TheAngriestHobo says:

I picked up Halflife 2 (and the episodes) for under five bucks during the Steam sale, and polished those off yesterday. I’m actually not sure that was a good idea, because now I’m googling for HL3 rumors. I guess that’s kind of a game.

I also picked up Dishonored, but I’ve only played a little bit so far. After reading some advice online, I’m trying to do a run without ever being detected, killing anyone, or using runes, because apparently that’s how you get the best ending. Thing is, I feel like I’m missing 9/10ths of the game playing this way, and I’m wondering if I’m making the experience less fun than it could be.

Ben King says:

I compulsively played both Dishonored and Deus Ex HR no alerts no kills, and I think they suffered for it but I couldn’t help myself. The upside is that no kills/ghosting really forces you to thoroughly explore every level scrounging for loot to buy all those sleeping darts. The No Kill assassination stories are real highlights of the game though and DEFINITELY worth the work to uncover and try to pull off. Hindsight being 20/20 I’d say I should have murdered the guards when it was a convenient path forward, avoided them when I could and done no-kills for the assassinations- the outcomes are all significantly more entertaining than a crossbow bolt through the skull.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Question: I’m on the first assassination mission, and I don’t understand the concept of a “no-kill assassination” mission. Does that mean I use the environment to kill him? That seems like an ethical loophole.

“I didn’t kill him, officer! The piano I dropped on him did!”

• Blastaz says:

No there is a special way to get rid of each target without killing them. Sell them into slavery, get them kidnapped by a racist, expose their corruption so they get arrested.

Most of them are pretty obvious and shouldn’t take much digging to uncover.

I would say that in dishonoured you really SHOULD kill some guards. There are so many tricks, spells, moves etc that you miss out on if you try to ghost the game and no real plot reason why you would want to try.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

I played through it three times and never caught on to that. I feel another run through coming on. Looking forward to trying to get rid of the swines without killing them now.

I played twice as a good guy and once as a psychopathic monster and saw two endings.

• Chopper says:

I just finished Dishonored, and you have significant leeway before you’re denied the ‘good’ ending. For example I got fed up before the end and killed 29 guys in the final level and still got the good ending (maybe there’s an even better one?). I mostly played through semi-stealthily, killing several people per level but choosing the more humane option for the big bad, and finished the game on low chaos.

• Chopper says:

Definitely use the runes. Not much fun otherwise I would imagine

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Thanks to both of you for the tips. Knowing I’m permitted some limited kills is a godsend. I’ll start using runes too – I wasn’t totally sure if that factored into the ending or not.

• malkav11 says:

There’s an achievement for finishing the game without buying or using magic other than the level 1 Blink you start with, but it doesn’t affect chaos at all as far as I know.

gritz says:

Go ahead and use the runes/powers. They don’t affect anything except for a stupid achievement, and they’re great fun to use. Same with ghosting. Killing (or not) is the only playstyle decision that really affects the plot, and it does so in fun ways that I won’t spoil.

That said, ghosting can be really fun if that’s your thing. The guards have to go into full alert for you to fail ghost, so 1-2 “lightning bolts” is no cause for a quickoad.

28. Lumière says:

Prison architect. Finally bought it during the summer sale, and can’t stop playing it since; I was worried cause I thought the subject is not appropriate for a game, but the balance the desenvolvers have achieved betweeen sensible discussion, management and simple fun really caught me.

29. angryhenrik says:

Going to try Oblivion on the PC for the first time thanks to Steam sale – seeing what mods can do for the game after 10 years.

30. Arioch_RN says:

Another one here for Lego Star Wars TFA, it’s simple fun with a good sense of humour and I think so far it’s been well worth the price – I got the deluxe edition for £20 from Bundlestars (cheers Tim Stone for directing there in last week’s Flare Path, never heard of it before).

On the table so far this weekend has been Gears of War: The Board Game, possibly a bit of Patton’s Best later on today and I reckon the stars are right for a bit of Eldritch Horror tomorrow.

• Kamestos says:

In Arkham Horror, I remember there was a card named “the stars are right” that was really nasty.

31. Gibs says:

Spec Ops The Line single players
    …and I’m giving a another shot at Pillars of Eternity, maybe.

cockpisspartridge says:

Spec ops is great. But not fun or much of a game either. I bought an essay from a games journalist online about it after finishing it. Some awesome (but recycled) themes featuring madness etc.

32. Blastaz says:

The technomancer, pretty enjoyable spider game. Quite satisfying combat once you get a few levels and the moves start gelling together. As always with spider grade A world building, sinister North Korean vibe.

Also picked up manowar which looks quite fun, a naval mount and blade, but still pretty early in early access.

Also, still, hearts of iron 4.

And the summer sale has seen my “backlog” bloom…

john_silence says:

Oh yeah, so you like Technomancer? Interesting. Previous Spider games passed me by, but this one caught my fancy ever so slightly so I watched an unpleasant chap stream it on Twitch last night. In spite of his staged bafflement what I saw seemed pretty cool, with remarkable voice acting and a not so clunky fight at one point.

I hope we get a WIT on this one.

• Blastaz says:

Spider games are all fairly similar: incredible world building, interesting plots, slightly pointlessly convoluted mechanics, grimdark, immature. The combat in each game has got better after starting out very clunky in orcs and men and is actually quite tough in this one.

This is probably their best game to date, it’s got rid of the linearity and grind of bound in flame. although their game of thrones rpg is actually a really good use of the setting.

Montymole says:

I bought the Witcher series on the summer sale and have never played it before so that’s probably my plan. However I have a few “sleeping steamers” games that I’ve bought but never played or drifted away from including MGSPP and Alien Isolation. Some nagging guilt there!

• Blastaz says:

Id say if you are new to the series just play 3+dlc. That’s 150 hours right there of the best rpging. 1 is quite a different game in feeling and tone being more of an AA euro rpg.

• malkav11 says:

Both previous Witcher games are well worth playing (I still like the mechanics best in 1, to be honest) and while you don’t have to have done so to get the story in 3, it certainly enhances it. That said, it’s certainly another 80+ hours to commit to before playing an extremely lengthy RPG.

34. Det. Bullock says:

I’ll have to bring myself to finish “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time”, the camera is just so awful which is a pity considering the charm of the 2D installments rears its head quite often.
    Either that or try again with the rebel campaign of “X-wing vs Tie Fighter: Balance of Power”, boy, if it’s difficult, now I get it why I could ever finish it even on easy at the time, having a HOTAS helps a bit while dogfighting those awful Tie Advanced but not by much given I have sloth-like reflexes, until now I managed to never go under the medium difficulty level and left craft waves on default but I’m not even close to half the campaign and it’s already kicking my sorry arse.
    I get a lot of Excellent Performance badges however.
    It’s a pity you can’t hit the higher ranks in single player though, last time I tried there was so much lag it looked like a slideshow.
    I should probablu buy a net calbe this winter and see if my brother is up for some coop.

35. malkav11 says:

Still plugging away at Avernum: Escape from the Pit. Now comfortably far beyond my progress on any previous version of this installment in the series as I’ve met the King, explored virtually the entire east side of the map as well as much of the Great Cavern and the Abyss, found two of the three great mages that left the Tower of Magi as well as a second dragon’s lair, and so on. Level 18, currently about to assault the Slith Temple. There’s not a lot of overarching story or a huge amount of characterization going on, but it’s a really great game for exploring and dungeon crawling and finding neat things tucked away in corners.

It’s still Marvel Heroes’ anniversary celebration (extended through the 4th), and it’s now The Secret World’s anniversary as well, so I expect I’ll be dipping into both of those at least a bit. So far in MH I’ve managed to get Magik, Nightcrawler, and three of the four Fantastic Four (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman and Thing) to 60 during this event (Human Torch was my first 60), hoping to do the same with Green Goblin (who I have assigned Spider-man as a teamup) and then…I dunno, maybe Blade, maybe Ultron.

Of course, I’ve also just bought a whole bunch of games in the sale so I should probably play things like DOOM, Just Cause 3 (got the season pass), Subnautica, Solus Project, an array of Choice of Games titles, etc. I imagine I’ll get to one or two at least a little over three days. Trying to stay vaguely focused on Avernum with a side of the time-limited MMO stuff though.

• mgardner says:

Giggling spiders say, “Hi!” “You’re cute!”

I think based on past discussions you’ve probably played Avernum 2 in some iteration in the past, but if not you’ve got a lot to look forward to!

Personally, I am working through Avadon 1 on iPad, I never finished it when it came out so I started over recently.

• malkav11 says:

Finishing the first Avadon (only my second Spiderweb game completion ever, though I’ve played at least one game in every series) was what prompted me to revisit Avernum: Escape from the Pit and really give it a solid go this time around. I’d played maybe ten hours previously and stalled out because I didn’t have a good sense of where I could go that my party could actually handle. This time I broke out a walkthrough to begin with – I’ve found that its sense of what to do when is weird, though. Like it has you assault the Nepharim fort before the Nephilim fort and the former is far more difficult, albeit smaller. As such, and as I level up and can handle more stuff in general, I’ve been drifting farther and farther away from it. It’s really just an order of stuff to do and a list of stuff you should hang onto for future quests, anyway. No strategies or anything.

And yeah, I played a good bit of Exile II: Crystal Souls back in the day. I didn’t have a registered copy back then but it turned out that the shareware demon would pop up, go “you can’t go any further” and…then you could keep going. I never finished that or any of the Exiles, though. Exile III was the closest I came but not quite.

36. Robomonk says:

Playing a bit of FFXIV (main quest line mostly) – got a 60 day sub card for a good price. Also trying to get back into Star Wars The Old Repuplic (MMO).

Can’t quite get into Witcher 3 for some reason.

Actually playing Watch Dogs, which isn’t as bad as some make it out to be – just not really a fan of the driving related missions.

Might play Batman Arkham Asylum.

Herzog says:

Shovel Knight – halfway through and enjoying the game a lot. Charming retro graphics and soundtrack, tight physics, challenging but fair difficulty. All in all a very good platformer so far.

Red Orchestra 2 – reinstalled after three years. Tried the Heroes of the West mod. Game is still so awesome and due to the steam sale lots of new players on the servers.

• Agnosticus says:

Ahh RO2, such a great game! I still yearn after Rising storm 2, but a 2016 release doesn’t seem likely now…

38. Thirdrail says:

I have ants in my pants waiting for Monster Hunter Generations and I’m bored as hell of everything I’ve been playing. I might finally dive into Witcher 3 here.

And I guess I should play some Mechwarrior Online since I have Steam Sale acquired premium time running there, I just wish MWO wasn’t so dull (i.e. that faction warfare was in any way enjoyable, or any of the quick match modes resulted in game play that differed from team deathmatch). Bleh.

But, yeah, I think Geralt is my great white hope for not losing my mind to boredom this weekend.

• mgardner says:

If you’ve got a PS 4 or PS Vita, you could try God Eater Resurrection, which just got its Western release date this past week. It scratches some of the same itches as Monster Hunter.

39. Mi-24 says:

Trying to get my XCOM 2 to work (too many mods :( ) to try out the new dlc. Also the Hitman elusive target. Also probably some Dungeon of the Endless, which is great.

40. NetharSpinos says:

I will be continuing my good-natured terrorism in Just Cause 3, inbetween bouts of showing the Orcs in Total Warhammer why declaring war on me was a *terrible* idea.

41. wifflebeef says:

I want to play more Thief Gold, which I bought in the GOG sale. I’ve been playing one level per week as it’s hard for me to find time to sit alone in a dark room for hours at a time, so I’m only on the third level and feel like I’m still finding my footing. However, I have enjoyed a few brief moments of class A thievery amidst numerous deaths. I haven’t gotten much of the story yet, but I’m having a good time navigating the darkness and drinking in the low-poly 3D architecture, which I’ve developed a sweet spot for since playing Kitty Horrorshow’s games.

In addition to Thief, I’m trying to finish Pony Island, and I want to play Murder Dog IV, since I just finished Space Funeral and loved it. I also picked up The Yawhg from the Steam Summer Sale, and am hoping to get together some friends to play it with. I like the idea of a brief, narrative-centric local multiplayer RPG, and the writing is pretty good.

42. pertusaria says:

This being North East Retro Gaming weekend, I’m playing lots of lovely physical pinball tables (I think the Bride of Pinbot has been mentioned here before?), as well as some nice arcade games and miscellaneous old console games (cue lots of grumbling at Duck Hunt before I more or less got the hang of it).

Mostly, not playing much, as per usual – no time for gaming unless it’s connected to a once in a blue moon event. I had a long train journey last weekend and played some Kirby’s Adventure on the DS.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have been playing through Shadwen after getting it in the Steam sale. It is a pretty cool game about murdering people but making sure a little girl doesn’t notice.

Other than that, it’ll be Overwatch, Duskers and Kid Icarus Uprising (really good!). Possibly some Thief 2 with the nephews as well.

44. Unsheep says:

Automobilista, Reiza’s new racing sim … Early Access.
    Trying out all the different cars and trucks.

RaceRoom’s DTM 2013 Experience and WTCC 2015 (custom championship). Continuing with my career in each championship.

Hopefully some Xenonauts in the evenings.

45. funky_mollusk says:

I’ve been trying out Zafehouse Diaries. I grabbed it for a couple bucks in the gog sale. I quite like it. It has some problems, but for the price I certainly can’t complain. It reminds me a lot of the Rebuild series, but with more depth. It has this relationship management element that is interesting, and the way it generates narratives in the diary is pretty neat. It does get a bit repetitive, but all-in-all I’ve quite enjoyed it.

• DEspresso says:

Be sure to replace the Pictures with random stuff from your picture folder. The Game gets better when Sean Connery and excited_dog go exploring while the FrenchActresswhoseNameialwaysforget and a Pancake fortify the Bank.

• funky_mollusk says:

Ooh… That sounds fun. “[picture of a radiator] claims not be racist, but he just doesn’t like the looks of [Shatner from wrath of khan].”

gritz says:

Overwatch owns me. I’ve also found a little time to dabble with 35mm and Subnautica. Starting a new playthrough of Deus Ex: HR in anticipation of the new one. Messing around with various forms of Strangethink neon weirdness.

And I started Fallen London last week, so I check in on that every few hours. My dilettante poet ended up embroiled in scandals before being shipped off to the Tomb Colonies, where he promptly went insane, returning to the city to start a new life as a rat-killer. The rats have driven him further into psychosis, and he’s currently trapped in a world of endless nightmares. Good times.

Three day weekends are great, thanks Thomas Jefferson!

Admiral Snackbar says:

On my second playthrough of Dark Souls 3. Running a supporty cleric build. Using buffs and heals makes the dynamic between yourself and other players more interesting. It requires more trust and more team work than the usual hack and slash, but that’s what makes it fun.

Aitrus says:

As it turns out, Rocket League. I started to reach a point where I felt the players my level were getting increasingly skilled and I wasn’t improving at all, but I seem to be getting better now. I can actually fly effectively now!

49. snesbeck says:

John, I just upgraded to an OC 1070 and picked up DOOM to celebrate. Heartily recommend it to recent PC rebirths, beautiful and oh so smooth. Only wish I had 144hz…

50. thinkforaminute says:

Try Witcher 3 with hairworks on or, better yet, try Witcher 2 with ubersampling on.