Satanic Savings: Devil Daggers Is Steam’s Daily Deal

We’re awfully fond of Devil Daggers [official site] round here, full of quivering praise for the hellish arena survival shooter and in awe of how good some players are. It’s a flipping great video game. But I know some of y’all have reservations – dear, sweet, naive reservations – about a leaderboard-climbing FPS with one mode and one level, and might have looked for it in the Steam summer sale. It wasn’t there. But it is now today’s Steam daily deal with a wee discount. You’ve gotta see these satans.

It’s a simple idea: you stand upon a circular arena in a black void, skulls, skellingtons, and other monsters spawn, and you must shoot them to survive as long as you can. That’s basically it. Shoot things, hit weak points, pick up power-ups, dodge, live. The joy for me is learning to read the roars, groans, and shrieks of the monsters, navigating by sound as I try to prioritise key targets knowing dozens of swarming skulls are chasing me grinding their teeth. I think it took me an hour to be able to survive one minute. Lasting even two seconds longer than my best is such a thrill.

If you’ve been hesitant, though, know that a 25% discount brings Devil Daggers down to £2.99/3,74€/$3.74 on Steam for the next two days – the first time it’s been on sale.

My god, even if you don’t like first-person shooters, it’s worth a few quid just to see it, to hear it. It is beautiful and horrifying and I adore it.

Here’s the current world record run, a time of 681.5609 seconds by ‘Sojk’, which I can tell you looks and sounds a million times better through the in-game replay viewer without YouTube compression:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

caff says:

Insane game. Buy it, if only to watch the best players on the leaderboard.

2. TΛPETRVE says:

For the record, there’s an update in the making. So far they’ve spoiled a few new enemy types (or rather, higher-tier versions of existing enemy types), but who knows, maybe there’ll be other stuff, too.

3. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

I am ashamed to say I don’t own this yet. We all should.. shouldn’t we?

IJC says:

Ugh, FINE. *buys*

john_silence says:

True story: when I bought it upon release, it was the 666th game in my Steam library.

caff says:

6. Jalan says:

At that discount, there was no reason to exclude it from the summer sale.

I broke down and bought it a few months ago, played it for a bit and then the magic started to wear off pretty fast. I’ll probably start it up again just as an excuse to waste a bit of time, uninstall it and re-install it if the updates planned for it catch my interest enough to do so.

7. dethtoll says:

I really wish they’d just gone ahead and made a proper Quake-style singleplayer game out of this. The arena gameplay is not to my taste, but good gosh that early-Playstation look is just delightful.

Herzog says:

So much this. Played a bit over two hours, then watched the world record run and have no motivation to ever go back. Still a beautiful game.

8. freeze says:

Yup I’ve played a healthy 80 hours of this game which got me to 100th place on the leaderboard! (youtube: keyserxx) I’m probably 200th place now, coz of all those people with the same idea as me; keep playing until you get better. Genius! Hell of a game.

9. Sandepande says:

This looks so completely uninteresting that I must be super-far from the target audience.

10. vorador says:

Ok FINE! You win. Bought.

Sounds perfect for spending a few minutes (or seconds, more likely) here and there.