Dark Gift: Devil Daggers Adds New Enemies, Mac Version

It’s been almost one day since we last posted about Devil Daggers [official site] and I agree with you: that is too long. And since then, developers Sorath have released a major update for the arena survival FPS. It brings two new enemy variants and fresh new leaderboards to accompany them, a field of view slider, a Mac version, and new ways for cackling skulls to become even more intimate with your ears. All this is good.

The two new enemies are a third type of the skull-spawning squidpillars:

And a new type of hoverskullspider:

How wonderfully awful.

Onto technical things! The new FoV options go from 75 degrees up to 120, which is a generous spread. It has vynsc options now too, for folks who like (or dislike) steady satans. You can cram those skulls deeper into your ears now too, as Sorath explain the new HRTF processing option brings “virtual surround sound when using headphones.” Annnd the Devil Daggers soundtrack is now dunked into its /OST/ subfolder for your listening pleasure.

Devil Daggers is still on sale on Steam, down to £2.99/3,74€/$3.74, for another day.

And yes, new enemies do mean new leaderboards. The old version of Devil Daggers and its leaderboards have been shuffled into a ‘beta’ branch, if you really want that all back, but the rest of us can begin climbing all over again. Former champ ‘Sojk’ is the new champion but still several minutes short of their previous best. This here isn’t their current best run but it does show some of the new baddies:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Jalan says:

Played for a bit and uninstalled shortly after. Maybe I’ll re-install it if they drop another update, but I highly doubt it.

2. Janichsan says:

Unfortunately, the Mac version seems to be broken: many (including me) can’t get it to work.

3. SingularityParadigm says:

Development done right! I was involved in the discussion on the Steam forum that lead to his implementing HRTF. :D

4. SomeDuder says:

Impressive! I… think. To be honest, I get the idea, but can’t connect visually. It’s all so… dark and crude. Can’t imagine this was done for framerate reasons in the year 2016, so what’s the deal?

• trout says:

may look janky; plays amazingly; and the graphics are exactly appropriate; perfect blend of form and function

• Alice O'Connor says:

It’s the best-looking game of 2016 is what the deal is.

• Razumen says:

Best looking game so far is Doom 2016, hands down. idtech6 improved upon all the failings of 5 and and then some. Just watch DigitalFoundry’s tech analysis for proof.

• Niko says:

What does tech has to do with good-looking? Visual design consistency doesn’t depend on tech.

• Razumen says:

What’s visually inconsistent about Doom? I loved all the designs, it all flows together beautifully, especially the animations.

And for me, graphical fidelity and performance IS a part of how beautiful a game is. Devil Daggers has a great aesthetic, but that’s not all that matters.

• Niko says:

Doom looks fine, I just didn’t see anything really outstanding in it (in the demo at least). Reminded me of Bulletstorm (which is also one of the better looking shooters I guess, compared to CoD and Battlefield).

• Razumen says:

The demo is a extremely small slice of the game, and if you’ve followed all of the technology it packs, you get a better idea of just how impressive it all is, especially for how well they’ve made it run on not only PCs, but consoles.

Devil Daggers is cool, but the excessive distance and darkness, combined with the pixelation really obscures too much of the design for me, plus it hinders gameplay in my opinion.

• Phasma Felis says:

If I have to watch a video to “prove” that a game looks better, then it doesn’t actually look better.

• Razumen says:

Does to me, no need to get all defensive just because I don’t agree with your idea of beauty.

• Phasma Felis says:

Never said I didn’t like it. I think it’s lovely, actually. I’m just saying that visual quality is purely subjective, and it’s silly to appeal to a technical analysis to “prove” that a game looks good.

• Razumen says:

When that same technical analysis shows in the same video screen of why it’s beautiful, it’s not silly at all.

• Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood says:

The graphics style channels the Quake 1 look of old, and does so wonderfully.
      You do have to be into that sorta thing, or at least have played and liked Q1 to trigger the nostalgia effect.

Certainly works for me :)

particlese says:

Aww maaaaan, not when I’m on vacation! Ah well, it’ll still be there in a week or so. New stuff is very cool, but I’m super eager to hear the new audio rendering.