Tomb Raider Raided: Denuvo DRM Allegedly Cracked

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site] might finally be cracked six months after its release. A step-by-step video showing a cracked copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider surfaced in Russia last week. It raises the question of whether or not pirates will finally be able to defeat Denuvo’s DRM security – protection so tough that some crackers said they were giving up. The crack has yet to be replicated, though, and it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Denuvo say they can’t verify if the crack is real as there are no available to test, but they don’t seem to be too stressed about the whole ordeal. The DRM company told Eurogamer “only public available cracks are relevant as they harm the content owners business.” In fact, they seem to be perfectly satisfied with Rise of the Tomb Raider’s protection.

“The general positioning of our product is ‘hard to crack’ and not ‘uncrackable’. For us it is important to secure the initial sales window of games, which worked out well on all the recent titles,” they confidently pointed out to PCGamesN.

It’s doubtful that this marks the end of Denuvo’s impressive record against PC gaming piracy. Where games were once cracked sometimes weeks before they were released, big titles like Just Cause 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition have gone months post-launch without a pirated version. Pirates will always be out there on the high seas of the interwebs doing their thing, but they’re still struggling with breaking down Denuvo’s defenses. It’s possible they could find a more efficient solution in the future, yet it’s likely Denuvo is preparing for that reality. The technology is designed to evolve alongside any new methods devised to break through the DRM.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Blackcompany says:

I don’t know if pirates can reliably play Denuvo games or not. But i do know legitimate customers mostly can’t.

• phreddo says:

I can play this game just fine.

• Llewyn says:

And somewhere between these two anecdotes – one general but hopelessly exaggerated, one accurate but pointlessly specific – no doubt lies the truth. Somewhere.

• phreddo says:

Go check the steam or tomb raider forums. DRM isn’t really the thing that people are complaining about. (Mind you, I’m no DRM fan, but it hasn’t hindered me in any way, at least with this game)

• Chalky says:

DOOM uses this DRM and I’ve not experienced any issues at all and I’ve never heard anyone else complain about it with that game.

• Blackcompany says:

I’m on guys. If course it’s an exaggeration. Just trying for a little humor today…

From what I understand it’s actually been a lot less of an issue for legit buyers than older DRM “Solutions” such as Securom.

• Blackcompany says:

*Come on. Can we get an edit button?

• Baines says:

Denuvo itself used to be worse. Whether you want to look at it as a positive or a negative, sticking around for so long has meant that it has seen its own updates that have ironed out some of its older issues.

• haldolium says:

When exactly has it “used to be worse”?

As far as I noticed (although I just play games, I don’t follow “gaming communities”) the outrage was always just a negative hype, aiming to discredit Denuvo DRM, while Starforce and the like actually did cause severe problemes around launch time of quite a few titles. Not to mention the fact, that Starforce even caused issues afterwards, since f.e. you cannot use early versions of it with 64bit systems and the game you might have paid full price a decade ago just won’t work only because of the DRM (granted, thats kind of minor since most games are now digital… but still)

• engion3 says:

I honestly can’t remember the last game I had crash.

• khizar95alik61115 says:

That’s a great article and also if someone is still struggling for a working crack for the Rise of the Tomb Raider then here it is. I would like to share with you all.

2. TheRaptorFence says:

From what I’ve read it seems that it’s not even known whether there is actually a crack or not. The person who is claiming to have cracked Tomb Raider won’t release it to the public, and his “evidence” is easily fakeable. The majority of the cracking community is calling BS. Scene groups have also been silent since Denuvo took over as the major DRM for companies.

On the other hand, there has been steady progress made on DOOM by a public cracker, and it’s looking like it will be cracked in the next couple months.

The major issue is that cracking Denuvo games requires a huge amount of work since Denuvo builds triggers throughout the game to consistently recheck, and each game is built with different triggers. As of now, each trigger needs to be individually broken, and there can be hundreds in a single game. On top of that, no group has yet broken the CPUid check, which would allow for a public crack. So chances are if a crack actually is made it can’t release until months after a product has hit the shelves, allowing publishers to rake in on those early days. By the time a public crack comes out, games are already bargain-bin prices for PC.

TL;DR- Denuvo hasn’t been cracked. There’s progress made, but technical limitations mean it’ll take months per game. In the meantime, publishers make the majority of their money from those early sales, so they won’t be hurt by a Denuvo crack, if one comes out.

• TheRaptorFence says:

And no, I’m not condoning pirating. I also don’t condone DRM. I just have found all this fascinating as it has unfolded and have kept up with the news.

phuzz says:

If you enjoy this sort of thing, may I recommend the work of 4am who has been diligently working through every Apple ][ game, and cracking the copy protection so they can be backed up. (The original disks won’t be readable in a few years).
        Each crack is comprehensively documented, and each crack is deliberately minimised to only the changes needed to get the software to run.

All the fun of watching clever people trying to break protection created by other clever people, but as all the software is old and out of print it’s much less morally questionable :)

• Hobbes says:

The main group making progress on Doom is doing it via a very brute force method, which involves pulling the triggers for Denuvo out one by one, we now know HOW it operates, it’s a virtualization sandbox that destroys the code as it’s executed, very much a one time pad in principle, but even more insidious than I had theorized from what I had studied from my cryptography papers, so there’s effectively two ways around it, one is to “pull the teeth”, which means disabling all the triggers that are inlaid into an executable one by one, but that’s a painstaking process.

Worse, the CpuID check isn’t one that can be bypassed at all by the looks of, it seems pretty ingrained. Bronco’s work MIGHT be a valid breakthrough in so much as it seems he may have found a way to circumvent the VM and trick it into outputting valid x64 bytecode rather than let the VM destroy everything in the process, it still runs the CpuID check though so it’s not all sunshine and roses, but if true it would mean that -all- Denuvo games are potentially vulnerable to this exploit, not just ROTTR or DOOM.

The question will be if Bronco is willing to let his work be shared among the other scene groups, because right now I think there needs to be some cohesive work between the remaining parties to try and figure out a way to successfully counter Denuvo, of course, the problem with that is Denuvo is almost certainly likely to come up with ways to improve and close the loopholes that are found. Worse, they may actually go through with what I initially theorized and start putting in OTP crypto into the VM, which would be the worst case scenario. You’d never get anything useful out of it.

• Emeraude says:

Thanks for that one. I hadn’t kept up with the latest developments.

Interesting.

• lampuiho says:

The existing denuvo cracks (by the infamous 3dm) use a database of cpuids to get through the cpuid check (collected from forum users).

• Rypan says:

I’m making this account here now to tell you that Denuvo is sufficiently cracked. Just days ago, a bypass was discovered in all Denuvo based games which was just recently patched ONLY to have a very reputable scene group named Conspiracy (CPY) release a fully-fledged crack for ROTR. Check the scene releases, it is only a scene release if it is a proper crack, and it is. Denuvo is dead.

3. Yachmenev says:

Suprised to see RPS actually acknowledging the existence of Denuvo. I thought that they just like other sites were going to ignore this, while more companies implement this and we keep handing more and more authority over the future of PC games to an unknown 3rd party.

I sincerely hope that RPS will continue to write this now, considering the harsh stance they have hade against DRM in the past.

• Emeraude says:

Worked for Valve.

• Yachmenev says:

With the difference that we knew who Valve where.
        We knew how Steam worked.
        We saw that Steam worked to remove activation limits and similiar crap from the reigning DRM schemes.
        And the developers did not try to hide that they included Steam.

• Emeraude says:

I’ll grant you the free last points, fair enough, though I don’t see how much they actually matter once you’ve granted the 3rd party authority bit.

I’m wondering about the first one. In what sense do you use “know” here? What ares the significant differences here for you and what makes you find them significant?

• Eight Rooks says:

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember one of the main things about one of the nastiest DRM setups in the past was that the company who ran it were exceptionally secretive and indeed had some connections – not 100% proven but nonetheless solid enough to be disturbing – to Russian organised crime. Again, I may be wrong, but I do honestly recall this being a thing at one point.

• UncleLou says:

And thank God it did. Or we wouldn’t read RPS these days.

• Emeraude says:

Are you implying some shady money deal between RPS and Valve?

• Blackcompany says:

More probably he is implying – mostly correct – that Steam rescued PC gaming, bringing it sufficiently into the limelight once more for a site like RPS to sustain itself with a PCgaming exclusive audience.

Aitrus says:

I’m not sure if you’re making a joke or not, but I believe he’s referring to the large crowd of Steam users RPS attracted by having loads of their articles featured there.

• froz says:

I can’t be the only reader that found out RPS through Steam.

Aitrus says:

Or what Blackcompany said ^_^

• Emeraude says:

@Aitrus

I am. Though mostly because I don’t agree with Blackcompany’s raised “saved PC gaming” bit.

Good point on the social linking aspect though. Yeah, must certainly play a role.

• C0llic says:

I get your point, but Denouvo hasn’t gathered much attention for a reason. Remember Starforce? The DRM that could kill (and did kill) CD drives in the name of rendering virtual CD/DVD-Rom Drives useless.

Denouvo does none of that stuff. Some of it requires various levels of online activation (maybe some of that’s shitty, but i’m not sure, and as far as I’m aware it varies from game to game) and the rest consists of triggers hidden in the games .exe to stop tampering. Allegedly the overhead of the anti-tamper stuff can effect performance, but that’s a far cry for bricking consumer hardware, which is what ultimately killed off the reputation of Starforce.

• malkav11 says:

Any amount of reliance on online authentication means the proper function of the game is tied to the existence and stability of the server(s) on the other end and the existence and stability of the user’s internet connection both. This is inherently shitty and has dire implications for the future preservation of videogames using these sorts of DRM methods, more so the more difficult they are to crack.

Frankly, I do not think speculative injury to a publisher’s profits outweigh the very real damage we’re doing to the future history of the medium.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Not much using the more intrusive DRM’s – definitely nothing using Denuvo will be worth much in the historical perspective anyway. It’s almost exclusively throw-away fast-food pop sequels in never-ending franchises of sequels, prequels and reboot origin stories.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t think you or I are qualified to decide what history may value. I doubt many people thought of Shakespeare as more than disposable pop entertainment at the time.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

malkav11, you’re of course correct. I’m a creaky old crank.
            We can only judge with time and hindsight.

And even if anything deemed important gets the obligatory future RL resolution holodeck remake or whatever is around in 15 years to cater to nostalgic 30-somethings it won’t really be the correctly shaped historical jigsaw tile as the original.

• Tayh says:

Uh, what. Most people around here, writers and readers alike, practically worship gabe and his drm client.

4. C0llic says:

I keep up with the warez scene. As an adult living in a western country, I can afford to buy my games, so I do (now). But I remember the days when I couldn’t. This game isn’t cracked, nor are any other relatively recent Denouvo games.

Anything you read to the contrary is unsubstantiated dick-waving. I imagine it will be cracked, the challenge must be very tempting for a lot of people (that has always been the primary reason why it happens), but so far it’s a very solid anti-tamper mechanism.

5. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I’m still waiting on Denuvo to be cracked for Doom so I can play it on Linux. It’s such a shame that a game that worked perfectly in beta is now out of my reach (and my wallet’s) because of DRM.

• mattevansc3 says:

No, you cant play it on Linux because Bethesda didn’t release it on Linux.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Yes and no. Of course, if Bethesda/Zenimax released Doom on Linux, I’d be able to play it, but it was still fully playable on Linux in its demo form / before Denuvo was added to the release version. Right now, barring an official Linux release, the Denuvo DRM really is the only thing prohibiting it from being played on Linux.

• aircool says:

And the fact that if it was playable, you should really pay for it.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I’m not sure I’m reading your point correctly, so disregard this if I misunderstood you.
            Cracking DRM and not paying aren’t the same thing. I’ve had to crack the DRM on several games in the past in order to be able to play them, usually in the form of the good-ol’ no-CD type crack, but I still bought and legally owned (had a license to use, whatever) those games. In my experience, every game using DRM reaches an age where it has to be cracked in order to be playable. I’ve seen it happen with manual codes that stopped being feasible after a few moves or a drowned basement; CD-ROM checks for games no longer sold, with scratched discs or no optical drive in one’s computer; and we’re beginning to see it now in the form of online checks that stop working when the distributor goes under or abandons the game. Denuvo’s got one thing right, DRM isn’t supposed to be unbreakable forever, just long enough to pass the initial sales period. It be nice if they also removed if after that, though.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

“And the fact that if it was playable, you should really pay for it.”

So then, by extending that illogic – if a game released for Windows XP doesn’t run in Windows 10 and someone made a fan patch/mod/hack to make it fully playable again we somehow owe the developer/publisher/distributor money?

Does that also extend to converting a physical CD collection to files so they can be listened to on another device? (for personal use, while keeping all discs, receipts and proper licensing paperwork in safe storage of course)

6. botty says:

It would be interesting to see if Denuvo actually helped games sell more, or if it just stopped people playing for free.

I used to crack games often (the few coins I can afford to spend on games always go to indie devs), and it’s quite interesting to see what denuvo did to me and my friends who crack too.

We just stopped playing AAA games. We play older games, removed the dust from our old CD-roms and went back to time-consuming ugly games. Some of the people I know just stopped playing games altogether.

I don’t for other peoples, but if you don’t have the money (especially 60 euros for a game you’re not even sure will work on your trusty yet olde PC), you just don’t have it. DRMs will not make you pay more.

• Emeraude says:

That’s interesting because that’s what Steamworks did to more than half my old PC group. Some even quit PC gaming altogether in disgust.

They came from a buy-retail background, never managed to adjust to digital because they wouldn’t compromise on the digital activation bit when Valve was spear-heading it. And basically just left.

That’s something I keep seeing happen for different reasons, and I keep wondering how much loss there has been on the market that went unnoticed because of the overall growth.

• Person of Interest says:

There are both off-the-shelf Steam cracks and loads of Steam games without any DRM. It takes no more effort to make an installed game Steam-independent than it did to find a working no-cd crack in the olden days.

I remember my disgust with mandatory online activation after performing an offline install. I guess it melted away as I played more MMO’s and bought more games online (at heavy discounts, since a download-only/DRM’d game has less value to me than a boxed/DRM-free one).

There’s a healthy DRM-free market now, so it’s easy to be a PC gamer without touching Steam. Personally, I’ve made peace with Steam, now that I have a choice whether to buy from Valve or from a DRM-free outlet.

• Person of Interest says:

I have not, however, made peace with Denuvo. For me, I can only tolerate DRM on any media to the extent that I know I can easily bypass it if I need to. So personally, I will never purchase a game until I see that its copy/modification restrictions can be fully defeated.

And as Jetsetlemming touched on, intrusive DRM can hurt a game’s performance (or a song’s sound quality), and I don’t want to support that kind of deliberate sabotage.

• pepperfez says:

It’s funny that I’m only willing to spend money on a game if I know that I don’t have to, but I feel the same.

• Orazio Zorzotto says:

I don’t understand, how could DRM possibly hurt the quality of an audio file?

• Person of Interest says:

Orazio Zorzotto, look up “digital watermarking”. Basically, a quiet watermark signal is added to the original audio/video. Because the watermark is designed to survive one or more generations of digital-analog-digital conversion, it must add some amount of correlated noise and can have the side effect of being subtly audible/visible. For a real-life example, look up “Cinavia”.

• Emeraude says:

But then, given how Denuvo’s anti-tamper works, would be useless if not for Steam or copycat client’s DRM scheme in the first place, wouldn’t it?
          That is, you had to relinquish that level of control first, and it’s only because people so massively did that this new layer can be implemented.
          If I understood right at least.

And still, with all those clients, we now have exclusives on a supposedly open platform. Which I’ll never not find maddening I think.

• Person of Interest says:

I suspect Denuvo’s piggyback architecture may be for marketing reasons (“It’s not DRM!”), and they could just as easily have written it as soup-to-nuts DRM.

That will never cease to frustrate me either. I think my gaming tastes have changed as a reaction: AAA games and other store exclusives don’t command my attention like they used to. Blizzard is my inexcusable exception: if you mention Warden, all I can do is stick my fingers in my ears…

• Emeraude says:

I definitely think it is partly a marketing ploy, but then the real deal of it is that people already accepted Denuvo when they accepted the proprietary clients.

The Steam (or any copycat) deal has always been a “pray I do not alter it further” deal. And Denuvo is just one further alteration in the list.

What the marketing does is create an “acknowledge that or let go” dissonance of sort. And many people already encroached in the system won’t be willing I think.

I may be seeing things in the worst light. Often do that.

• mattevansc3 says:

But you have no entitlement to play it. I cant afford a Tesla, doesn’t mean I’m entitled to take one for a spin.

Doesn’t matter whether you can afford to pay for it or not. If you dont pay you shouldn’t play.

• pepperfez says:

Denuvo DRM only works on Windows. He can’t pay to play the game on Linux while that DRM is active. And of course no one is entitled to play on Linux, but it’s frustrating to not be able to only because of the industry’s pathological obsession with piracy.

• malkav11 says:

You’re not entitled, maybe, but who does it benefit to stop people from enjoying something digital and infinitely reproducible that they can’t actually pay for? No one, as far as I’m concerned. Self-denial isn’t some sort of moral good unto itself.

• Kitsunin says:

Uuuuuuhhhhhh…if everyone could drive Teslas, even if they couldn’t afford them, it would be good for the world, and for all the people doing so. There might just even be a way for Tesla to still profit, if they looked at things from a less traditional angle.

So yeah, terrible analogy. But making a good analogy is tough, because piracy isn’t a simple idea. It carries good and bad.

• Yglorba says:

If I had the magical ability to create copies of Teslas simply by pointing at one and saying “copy, paste”, I would absolutely argue that that entitles me to do so and to take my copies for a spin.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

The “I’m not entitled to a Tesla” argument is complete bollocks. You and I both know as sure as shit is brown that if you could download a Tesla for nothing you would, and so would I. The same applies for video games; I can afford to buy all the games I play, so I do. But if I couldn’t afford to pay for them is still get them free. If I have no money, so you really think I give a shit about what I’m entitled to? You get what you can how you can when you’re skint, and if you don’t believe that then you’ve never truly been skint.

• mattevansc3 says:

That would be because I’ve worked since I left college at 18 and worked two jobs into my early 20’s.

I also have been so skint that my credit card was maxed and I had to go over my overdraft to buy food.

At no point did I pirate games because they are a luxury, not a right.

When I wanted a luxury I worked for it, I did the overtime, I worked extra hours and I earned it. So don’t give me that entitled bullshit of being to skint to buy what you wanted.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Don’t level the ‘entitled’ moniker at me. I have at no point decided that any luxuries in my life are any kind of entitlement. You completely haven’t read my post, or are too stupid/angry/blinkered to bother comprehending it. What I’m getting at is that I have no scruples about copying a piece of information onto my hard drive if I can’t afford to pay for it, and if the option was there to download a Tesla i’d do it. I’m not sitting here bitching that I can’t though, nor am I judging anyone else for their choices. With that said, I have bought many games that I pirated in recent times – equally I’m glad that I didn’t buy some of the really shitty games I’ve downloaded in the past, especially when there was no decent refund system in place.

Also I find it fucking hilarious that you wish to spend so much energy levelling your misguided rage at people like me, when Tony Blair is alive and well.

• Emeraude says:

Most of the games in my library have been at one time or another played by poor kids – or just poor people – in the neighborhood that couldn’t afford them. Most of those people became customers as soon as they got the money though (there’s always the odd pirate *everything* case that pops up, which I think is more gathering/providing programmatic going somewhat haywire- those people hardly ever play the things they pirate themselves I notice).

Technically that makes me a pirate for some (from legislation that do not recognize lending right, mostly). Though I did buy every last one of them.

Honestly, I don’t feel much guilt over it for the “potential lost sales”. There’s nothing noble in (self)imposing artificial scarcity.

I’ll go with Victor Hugo on that one: if authorial rights unduly get in the way of access to culture, it’s authorial rights that have to go, not access to culture.

• botty says:

“If you dont pay you shouldn’t play.”
        You filthy capitalist swine ! Next up you’ll say people are not entitled to eat if they can’t pay for it !

On a more serious note, if I felt entitled I would complain endlessly instead of just changing the games I play. My comment is more about how did this changed how people act.

7. Jetsetlemming says:

I “borrowed” MGSV a couple months ago and played through it with the quasi-crack workaround that was available at the time, and liked it enough that in the Steam summer sale, I bought it for real.

The cracked version ran a good 15 fps better. I have to disable Vsync and turn down a number of other things to get it running smoothly in the retail version with Denuvo encryption. Considering it’s a constantly active thing, encrypting and decrypting the game code and its calls, unlike most DRM that mostly checks on launch, that might make it especially problematic with open world games that need to constantly stream data. I don’t know for sure, but I definitely ran this game a whole bunch better with an illegitimate copy.

• pepperfez says:

The inefficiency of DRM is depressing. Companies are paying for a service that (at best) does nothing to improve their product and customers are (at best) restricted in how they run their games just because the notion that someone is getting something for free is so terrifying to publishers.

• anHorse says:

I’ve felt the same

It’s only anecdotal but I’m sure my Denuvo games run worse than my non-denuvo ones, although it’s obviously impossible to make a real comparison.

Load times especially are awful on Denuvo titles

8. aircool says:

Ahhh, the monotonous sound of freeloaders attempting to justify their actions; the sort of people who just make the world a worse place for everyone else.

• Emeraude says:

And you would know everything about making the world a worse place for everyone else.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I honestly have no need to justify myself – when I couldn’t afford a luxury such as video games, I pirated them. When I could afford them (like now) I bought them. If I could have downloaded my dinner, tobacco, petrol, and clothing for nothing when I was poorer than solomon’s excommunicated bastard son, then I would have, and I have no scruples about it either. If you can’t wrap your head around the concept of taking what you can get when you’re skint, then you’ve never been skint.

• TeePee says:

Interesting POV. As someone who has likewise found myself utterly skint on a couple of occasions, I still couldn’t find it in myself to take and play something that I couldn’t afford. My view was that ‘if I can’t afford it, I can’t have it’. Almost everything I wanted, I picked up down the line anyway, and enjoyed it just as much (and usually at a pretty hefty discount!).

I’m not trying to judge, or to paint myself as somehow ‘better’, it was just interesting to me to see the other side of coin – I appreciated the honesty of what you’re saying, even if it’s not something that I ‘approve’ of (not that it’s my place to approve, but hopefully you get what I’m trying to say).

• ButteringSundays says:

“the sort of people who just make the world a worse place for everyone else.”

[Citation needed]

Oh and for bonus points it can’t be from an IP lobbyist.

You won’t win the internet today, sir, but you might learn something.

9. prkl says:

I find it disheartening that no one seems to care what DRM stands for in “computer science”. It was touched on here in the thread about cultural history.

At least I have some principles. One is that, DRM should not affect the performance of my computer. Well, that makes DRM essentially impossible. Tough luck.
    Also, I’m of the mind that my PC should not do anything that I haven’t agreed upon. Any software should only do what it’s made to do. It really makes it hard to use anything at all these days to be honest. So I’m a bit open about it.

Oh well. That said, Steam is as far as I go (always keeping in mind its bad side). I haven’t bought or played many AAA titles in years, but they have been and are mostly shit from what I have played/seen/gathered.
    Consoles pretty much fill the AAA side (I haven’t cared enough to buy one tho). They are closed systems and the same rules don’t apply.

• prkl says:

*Any software should only do what it’s made to do. *
      Before any trolls attempt to skew this: *what it says it’s made to do eg. if notepad is made to do notes, it should not connect the internet and gather data off from your notes.

10. Monggerel says:

Back in my day, the Punisher would straight-up skullfuck anyone who downloaded content from the internet.

This included legally downloaded things. The Punisher always was a “kill ’em all, God will sort them out” sort of guy, except without the sorting part. He also had difficulty grasping the finer points of the law. Or morality.
    Good times.

11. George88 says:

“The technology is designed to evolve alongside any new methods devised to break through the DRM” said by a bunch of fudging programmers who are trying to cover their failure trough more lying.No DRM, anti-tamper ,or any form of copyright protective measure is crack proof.Any body claiming the opposite is either a fraud or Looney Tunes.

12. khizar95alik61115 says: