Starbound Finally Launches At The End Of The Month

Starbound’s [official site] formal launch has been a long time coming, but at long last, the sci-fi sandbox will be officially released on July 22.

Version 1.0 will brings big things to Starbound as the final transition from Early Access to full release. Players will have access to the full story arc, and planets will become fully realized as well. Explorers will now have the chance to explore more complex worlds with rich environments. Quests, too, are getting a makeover, with the addition of generated quests and new side quests.

You’ll also have more options for building up your crew. Developing healthy colonies means particularly happy colonists can join you on your ship as a crew member. If you like layers, Starbound 1.0 will have plenty of those, tossing in improved crafting tables and recipes, combat options, and an updated pet system to boot.

And if after all of that, you’re still bored, Chucklefish are working on dedicated multiplayer servers and other social options. Although Starbound is finally coming out of Early Access, the dev team plans to provide continued support and updates for the game post-launch.

Stardew Valley drew attention away from Starbound for a while (for good reason!) but now, it seems, it’s time for Chucklefish’s gorgeous space adventure to shine. You’ll be able to play Starbound in its final form on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

From this site

1. uh20 says:

Starbound in the beta felt like an infinitely generating example of repetition and re-traversal. It is now time for me to nervously hype of this update fixing as much of the progression grind as it can.

• Gaminggumper says:

The unstable build has all of the stuff that will be in 1.0 unlocked and Chucklefish said its basically 99.5% final. So feel free to give it a try.
      From the bit I’ve played its much more structured narrative, but still has the option to go/do/explore as you like.

2. Mr_Rosebud says:

I’ve never played Starbound, but I love Minecraft: FTB. Should I give this game a go, do you think?

• brucethemoose says:

FortressCraft Evolved, Starmade, and maybe Factorio and Space Engineers strike me as more FTB like games.

Admittedly, I haven’t played it in ages, but Starbound felt closer to a Hexxit type modpack if you’re familiar with that.

• PancakeWizard says:

A someone who enjoyed Minecraft but found Terraria a little ‘meh’, I’d say yes.

• DarkFenix says:

I was the other way round. Loved Terraria but hated Starbound for its soullessness. Starbound to me feels like the sum of everything wrong with excessive reliance on procedural generation.

• brucethemoose says:

Have you tried Dig or Die yet?

It feels like everything I never knew I wanted in Terraria and Starbound.

If they merged the fluid physics/power and the turrets alone into Starbound, that would make one hell of a game.

• DarkFenix says:

That does look good. How does the actual content filling the world work? I loved Terraria largely because while the world was procedurally generated the content filling it was lovingly hand-crafted. I hated Starbound because everything was created according the the hopelessly restrictive procedural generator, thus was entirely bland after you’d seen the first few iterations.

For a fiver I don’t think I could complain much anyway, but I’d like to know more first all the same.

• Gaminggumper says:

I haven’t played Dig or Die, but the game has full electrical wiring, and pneumatic systems to use. Not to mention that there are loads of mods that can expand it even further.

• PancakeWizard says:

Either ‘soullessness’ is the wrong word here or you must have played some kind of pre-alpha version? Even the beta I played well over a year ago had soul. It’s got bags more than Terraria. In fact I’d say ‘Terraria but with a soul’ is probably an apt description of Starbound.

Very strange criticism to level at it.

• Stillquest says:

Granted, the last time I played the game was several months ago – possibly things have changed for the better – but I must say I see the OP’s point. Compared to Terraria, Starbound feels vast, true, but also very… samey. You’ve seen one Forest planet, you’ve seen them all, the whole “procedural generation” shtick resulting in mostly cosmetic differences.

• brucethemoose says:

I should also mention that you should venture outside of the FTB realm in Minecraft. Modpack from some non-FTB devs tend to include some more interesting mods like MagneticCraft, Reika’s mods, Techreborn, NuclearCraft, Modular Turrets, Academy Craft and so on.

• Anti-Skub says:

It’s just Terraria but not as good.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Craft! Craft craft craft. Craft?

4. JFS says:

A little late, I’d say.

5. khaoselement says:

People still like Starbound? Dang. Everybody I knew stopped playing it ages ago. I really never found it all that fun. I understand padding out progression to make more game length, but Starbound takes WWAAYY too much grinding for my tastes.

• Gaminggumper says:

And hence the difference for the actual release. What your friends played “ages” ago wasn’t finished.

It now doesn’t take nearly as long mining to get to the Outpost. Gear has lower requirements and mats can be found at nearly any depth on the correct planets.

Its much closer to the original Kickstarter promise of a narrative driven survival game. Complete with cutscenes even.

6. Jay Load says:

It’s Terraria but much less boring.

• SomeDuder says:

That’s a funny way of saying that it’s like Terraria but much shittier.

• Jay Load says:

That’s a funny way of saying “I am rubber, you are glue…”

• SpitefulHammer says:

Definitely a more boring Terraria. By ‘more boring’ I mean completely and utterly dull.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Eh, depends on the player I suppose. I mean–I’ll be going back to it once it is finished. But since I didn’t play through 200 hours of it, I guess didn’t become burnt out like many players did. I found it much more engaging than Terraria–having a race, having multiple NPCs that seemed to exist independent of my character, not being dependent on RNG items, not having to constantly restart the game to have a new world, having the decorations of the space feel like it meant something. All that means I’m willing to return to that than Terraria’s version of more of the same.

Still, will be nice to see how the quest system and overall arc has changed, if at all. As that gating element was for sure a drag (even if Terraria had the same thing just less things to do between next axe/whatever.)

7. rollermint says:

Enjoyed the beta last year and am glad its being released finally. I like that its scifi based and i understand that they made the game more “open ended” recently. Only stopped coz it was the only thing i played for weeks and my backlog was screaming for attention…

8. Moonracer says:

Glad it is getting released. I played a bunch about 3 months ago. The mechanics were good, but the game felt a little flat after a while, so I can relate to the complaints of others.

Hopefully the people making mods for the game will go crazy after this release as there is already some impressive stuff out there.

9. engion3 says:

I have 80+ hours in this game already. I like it alot.