Gawp At GTA 5’s Redux Overhaul Mod

Although a wee bit late to the party, the PC iteration of Grand Theft Auto V [official site] has hardly broke stride since its release last year. Besides loads of official updates and DLC, intuitive modders have crafted a whole range of weird and wacky and wonderful mods to enhance our Los Santos experiences – to the point where it’s become hard to keep track of the best ones (how’s that for a shameless plug?). One mod in particular that’s shaping up rather nicely is Josh Romito’s work-in-progress visual overhaul number, Redux, which has just launched its first, lovely-looking trailer.

At its core, Redux is a reshade mod, however it tackles a vast range of aesthetic enhancements and the results are nothing short of stunning. The weather system has been overhauled, for example, textures have been retuned, lighting and shadows are now more realistic, as are blood animations “for improved speed, and spread”, and there’s more garbage and debris on the streets, to name but a few of the exhaustive list of improvements. Seeing is believing, though, so you should have a swatch at this:

Not bad, eh? Redux reminds me of Martin Bergman’s equally impressive Toddyhancer mod, however work on that appears to have unfortunately stalled for now. At the moment, Redux is without a release date, but creator Josh Romito is taking things “day by day” and will be unveiling a launch date “as soon as possible.”

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Haven’t played GTAV yet, but that first-person camera never fails to impress me. I’ve recently been playing Watch Dogs (I know, I know), and I’m really enjoying just wandering around its streets and soaking up the urban ambiance. First-person mode would make it even better. Here’s hoping GTAV drops down under $20 fairly soon.

• naetharu says:

If you enjoy looking at the scenery in Watch Dogs you’ll love GTA-5. The world is amazing, with so much detail and interest at every point. I enjoyed Watch Dogs too but GTA-5 insofar as the world itself is concerned is miles ahead.

2. ukpanik says:

Looks awful.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

That’s just the Reshade preset. On the website they’ve got some sans Reshade screenshots.

3. Anti-Skub says:

As with all these mods, all this seems to be is a “cinematic” colour filter with the blur cranked up.

4. Thurgret says:

A Russian stole my GTA V/Rockstar Social Club account this morning. I recovered it, and changed the password, though I haven’t played the game in a year and don’t at all intend to open the Rockstar launcher ever again if I can help it.

5. saillc says:

The thing is, this guy was accused of stealing a BUNCH of modders work previously, in a large project very similiar to this one called the pinnacle of V. link to thepinnacleofv.com

Now, i dont claim to know any details, and whether or not he knew of the theft doesnt really matter, because he ended that project anyway. The project definitely looked great though, and i will be keeping my eye on this. Hopefully no funny business happens with this one.

6. ZIGS says:

Hopefully we can disable the depth of field

7. OscarWilde1854 says:

… I’ve played a LOT of GTA V and this looks like nothing. They just amped up the saturation and reduced the depth of field…It’s already a beautiful game, so I don’t really see the benefits of this. And I’m sure it slows performance as well.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

There are two versions. The regular kind and the “Ultra” kind. The pictures above are from the latter which adds a hideous Reshade preset. Take a look at the gallery for some of the unborked screenshots.

8. mtomto says:

It started as a good game, but all the “Online” updates are dead to me – I dont play online. I’d like an actual update to the game that brings new stories, features etc in singleplayer mode.

• Mokinokaro says:

The online makes them like 2 million USD a month in microtransactions so don’t get your hopes up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if an online focus is the standard for the series from now on.

9. kael13 says:

The ‘original’ version without the horrible filter looks really nice.

I sometimes forget how impressive GTA V is on a technical level. It really is amazing; up there with the Witcher 3.

10. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Watching the video, I unexpectedly found myself feeing kind of shitty at watching the glorification of a similar kind of violence to what has been sweeping through my home country (United States) these days.

I’ve watched GTA videos dozens of times before, but I guess recent context has soured me to this genre. That has nothing to do with the work these guys did, just something that caught me off-guard this time around.