Survival Action-Horror The Other 99 Due In August

The Other 99 [official site] is the debut project from Cornwall-based studio Burning Arrow – a singleplayer first-person action-horror/survival-a-thon that drops players onto a storm-stricken, isolated Hebridean Island with no obvious means of escape. Well, besides a cryptic note that advises the only way off the archipelago is “through The Other 99”, whatever that means. It was originally scheduled to launch on Early Access this coming Monday, however it’s now been pushed back to August 25 – meaning it’ll be at this year’s Gamescom for those of you making the journey. Either way, hop below for deets and some moving pictures.

The last few years have seen such an influx of survival games that it’s become increasingly difficult to keep up. Each new genre entry promises something new and, while this isn’t always the case, I’m a sucker for the ones whose plots are shrouded in mystery, that include eccentric and desperate characters and peculiar settings and creepy lighthouses. I’m a sucker for this, basically:

How you, or any of the island’s other residents, have wound up in this mess remains unclear, however in order to get by you’ll not only want to ascertain food and water supplies; you’ll also need to craft makeshift weapons on the off-chance your co-inhabitants decide to come after you. Given the tone of that there video – not to mention the shirtless dude covered in blood and lying next to a hatchet – I’d say the latter is a pretty safe bet. Here’s the devs on choice and NPC interaction:

“It is up to you to make yourself into something. Will you brutally murder all those who stand in your way? Or will you move silently through the forests, eliminating anyone that crosses your path? Just remember each person is unique and has their own story to tell and their own pieces of the jigsaw that makes up The Other 99.”

No price tag just yet, however The Other 99 will now launch on Steam Early Access come August 25 so it can “deliver the best experience possible on day one,” say publishers Deck 13 Games. Again, it’ll feature at next month’s Gamescom and I’d bet my wages on horror aficionado Adam Smith giving it a once over while there.

From this site

1. Freud says:

The sound at 0.29 when the Unreal Engine logo was shown was the biggest scare of the trailer.

2. Buggery says:

I just cannot get behind survival games any more. Each one requires dedication to a single game in lieu of others, or sometimes, in lieu of having fun, that the moment I read “survival elements” I simply stop caring.

I suppose that horror and survival go together as far as these things go but I just cannot be bothered dealing with that kind of stress. I’m willing to make exceptions for the like of Pathologic where stress on the player’s behalf is a key part of the experience but I just don’t know that I can really be bothered doing it with every other title.

• GameCat says:

For me the biggest problem is that it looks very generic and cliche and I don’t like horror games where you’re just playing as player avatar and not as well written character you could actually care for. ;/

3. Kefren says:

Although we can’t tell much about the game, the idea does appeal to me for purely personal reasons. I always wanted my first novel (survival horror) to be made into a film or game, and the surface similarities in the trailer make me excited that I’ll get a buzz from it.
    – Isolated island (mine is in Wales)
    – Stormy night
    – Possible murderers roaming with hatchets
    – A lighthouse
    – Mystery as to what is going on
    Yep, I’m interested now!

4. Turkey says:

Finally a game where I get to play as the 1%.

5. vahnn says:

“Coming soon to Steam Early Access.”

Does it ludicrous to anyone else that they’re announcing the impending arrival of unfinished games which will then be promised to be finished later?