Reimagined: The Spatials Galactology Hits Early Access

The Spatials, you may recall, is a space colony-building strategy sim which Adam said happily engaged his brain but didn’t test his patience. Alice once described it as Theme Park/Theme Hospital in space with guns and, going by the screenshots and trailers I’ve seen, I couldn’t argue with that. A year and a bit since release, The Spatials is now being reimagined as “an even deeper, more rewarding simulation game,” say Barcelona-based developers Weird and Wry and its latest iteration, The Spatials: Galactology [official site], has just landed on Early Access.

Oh, and if you owned the original, and purchased it via Steam on or before July 5, you can get the new ‘un for free. Trailer time:

The real-time building and populating of a space station, complete with utilities and amenities, might look familiar but the aim of the Early Accessed rethink is to use the iterative process to build a community around the new game, say Weird and Wry. Moving forward, they plan to publish new builds on a monthly basis and they’ve also provided a link to their development road map, where you can peruse the game’s planned upcoming features, although it’s without solid dates for the time being.

Anyway, what’s new, you ask? Well, Galactology offers new items, new structures to build, new trade routes, planets with new variables, and full Steam Workshop support – something absent entirely from its forerunner. Again, it’s free if you already own the first one, however The Spatials: Galactology is out now on Steam Early Access for Windows and Mac, where it costs £7.49/$9.74/9,74€ until July 14.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. allthegoodonesweretaken2 says:

If Christopher Walken and Marvin the Martian had a child, he’d be narrating the trailer of The Spatials: Galactology

2. DancesWithSheep says:

That trailer has sold me where lets play videos have failed.

• Ur-Quan says:

I mean it’s your money, but if you didn’t like the actualy gameplay why would you buy it after seeing a piece of promotional material?

• DancesWithSheep says:

I see your point, allow me to expand. This is a style of game I enjoy but I was just feeling a bit on the fence with the gameplay of the original from what I saw. The trailer tells of a less confining environment and if it throws in some silliness, well, then I’m more easily convinced

I’m loving Renowned Explorers because it’s a great little strategy game but the Humerous presentation sold me. Deadly Tower of Monsters is an ok game but the goofiness of the concept is what kept me playing.

This doesn’t mean I’m going to buy Stellaris if they add a silly song to the trailer and at the same time a lack of humor didn’t stop my buying Pillars of Eternity.

3. AngoraFish says:

Ah, almost picked this up in the Steam sale but I recall reading a bit of buzz that the devs had effectively abandoned the game as it was still very light on content. I guess we now know what they were working on instead.

4. Raoul Duke says:

Wow, I’ve never heard of this before but it looks like my type of thing. Although the graphics literally look like Theme Park mixed with Transport Tycoon, so not exactly pretty by 2016 standards.

The narration in that trailer is superb.