Dreambreak Escapes The Police State On July 21

In Dreambreak [official site], you’re in a whole heap of a mess. In an alternate reality, Soviet Russia isn’t the most fun place to be, especially when you’ve been framed for murder. Will you manage to solve the mystery or will it be straight to the gulag for you? I can’t say, but we’ll find out on July 21 when Dreambreak launches.

Players take on the role of Eugene, who is your average Joe except for the fact that he might have a sizeable bounty on his head. You’ll have to make your way through a high-tech, dystopian vision of Russia in this action-puzzle-platformer to uncover the game’s true mysteries and clear your name.

The game comes in a tiny, retro-styled package, but promises multiple endings with more layers than a Russian nesting doll. It’s not all playing detective, either. Along the way, you’ll get to visit vaguely sketchy nightclubs, race hover bikes, and hack drones. If there’s one thing Dreambreak appears to have, it’s variety.

All of that conspiracy, deception, and clubbing takes place in a pixelated, futuristic vision of the USSR, complete with Cyrillic billboards and Big Brother’s watchful eye.

Dreambreak will be available for Windows through Steam for £5.49/5,99€/$6.99. Be sure to check out the trailer here:

From this site

1. Andrew says:

I read that as “you’ve been framed for your murder”. ‘Cause, you know, in Soviet Russia, и всё такое.

2. li says:

How come there’s no mention to Flashback in this article?

3. pauleyc says:

Looks intriguing. The art style was clearly inspired by Flashback although there were a few moments in the trailer where the character animation reminded me more of Impossible Mission on the C64 rather than a rotoscoped Conrad.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yes, but the way the character runs or climbs down are very much Flashback. Of course, it’s not so much the specific moves the character makes, it’s the smoothness of them that felt so satisfying in Flashback.

4. syndrome says:

omg what’s with the RPS articles today?

It’s like UK democracy finally succumbed to commie people, and they’re coming over from the streets to write paid articles while the RPS crew is on a trial, waiting to be publicly executed.

No mention of Flashback?? Really?

I cannot ignore the fact that RPS is on a downward slope since Jim left. Perhaps it’s just a coincidence.

5. JFS says:

Looks good!

6. Kollega says:

So, let me get this straight… it’s a game about Soviet Russia in 2013… and it’s even made with assistance from actual Russians, judging by the name of “Aist Studio”… but what the trailer shows us looks like a shitty 90s Image comic depiction of a shitty theme park version of Yeltsin-ruled Russian Federation. With strip clubs, flying cars, and cyberpunk cityscapes.

Look, setting your game in Soviet Russia is unique enough, that I’ll give it, but I’m purdy ghat-daymn shure that even taking the Perestroika into account, this is not what the USSR would look like if it survived into 2013. There’s not a single hammer-and-sickle to be seen in this video, for one, when the real Soviet Union spammed those literally everywhere.

Of course, I understand there may be important narrative and aesthetic reasons for everything looking like cyberpunked-up Russian Nineties, but… as I’ve said, the absence of even elementary things like hammer-and-sickle emblems is very conspicuous if it’s really supposed to be the USSR and not Russian Federation.

zapatapon says:

[Insert yet another comment apropos Flashback heritage here]

alison says:

Oh gosh, this looks and sounds terrific. I hope it’s not too full of instadeath (0:46). Though it’s so pretty I will probably end up buying it anyway.

9. vahnn says:

This looks like the most terrible mix of differing types of gameplay. I must have it!