JC2MP Creators Cancel Just Cause 3 Multiplayer Mod

What?! Didn’t Alice report just a few days ago that the Just Cause 3 Multiplayer mod was coming along nicely? Yes, but that was a different Just Cause 3 multiplayer mod. The one that’s been cancelled is the one that was being made by the developers of the popular, trendsetting JC2MP. Although it might not all be bad news: its primary developer has gone to work for Just Cause creators Avalanche.

In a post on the JC2MP site, developer Trix writes:

“Good and bad news often come in pairs, and this case is no exception; several months ago, I was approached with an offer I couldn’t refuse: to join Avalanche Studios Sweden as a developer so that I could work on projects present and future. As part of Avalanche, I’ll be able to bring many of the things you know and love from JC2-MP into future Avalanche experiences, while reaching heights that a mere mod couldn’t facilitate. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, neither I or the rest of the team can actively pursue development on JC3-MP; our lives are just too busy to allow for it right now.”

Which is a common cause for mods to fizzle out – both lives being too busy, and creators being hired to work at professional developers.

Importantly, the post also notes that JC2MP development will continue, and “while we’re not actively adding new features, we will fix bugs, maintain stability, and ensure that JC2-MP remains a quality experience for players present and future.”

It’s been a while since I played JC2MP, but it went further than simply letting you mess around in that game’s sandbox with friends, also including multiple different game modes and features like base building. Although, let’s be honest, it was the messing around that I was there for; if you find that you spend most of your time in GTA Online just setting up stunts to perform with pals, then JC2MP might be worth looking into.

Here’s hoping the other, still in-development Just Cause 3 multiplayer mod manages to achieve something similar. Here’s what it looks like currently:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

phuzz says:

I’m still impressed with quite how well they managed to shoehorn (massive) multiplayer into a single player game.

2. Baines says:

Does that kind of thing ever actually happen when a company hires a modder? Once the modder becomes an employee, they end up as just another cog in an increasingly complex machine.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

When Valve hires modders (like with Team Fortress, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, and DotA) we get fancy new versions of those games eventually.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Aha! We found a loophole. Quick, someone make a Half Life 3 mod!

3. haldolium says:

While JC2 was awesome, the MP was just plain boring to me. So I am not particular sad about this.

Also it appears that Avalanche will never fix JC3 to make it actually better as JC2, which it sadly isn’t. I even quit it half way through, since it was just boring/borrowed game design from the wrong companies which already overused them for a decade+ (hey there big U) and the FoV made me sick.

So yeah… whatever *shrug*

But to be fair at least, I think it’s still great what they’ve accomplished, or tried to accomplish. So good the lead at least now has a future with the world of crunch.

liquidsoap89 says:

I don’t know if JC3 had a patch or something recently, but the performance took a massive dump the last time I tried playing. I know people had issues with it initially, but it was running moderately well for me. Now though, my 970 can’t even run it on high settings without chugging along at sub-30fps.

And don’t even get me started on the motorcycles…

• GenialityOfEvil says:

They haven’t patched it in months and even then no performance fixes. The best you can do is run it in borderless with /borderless /windowed in the game’s Steam launch options

• Churba says:

It also helps to run steam in offline mode, for some reason. God knows why.

Not that it helps that much – it just gives me (with a 970, same as the other chap) longer periods at 30-40 FPS, between parts where it chugs along way below.