Anarcute Released! Will the Revolution be Cute?

A revolution of bunnies

If you were really into Rampage (or willfully and cruelly razing your SimCities, or taking the ladder out of the SimPool) you know that there’s something satisfying about total wanton destruction. Super serious Anarchists might want to stay away from Anarcute [official site], however.

Once upon a time it was a zombie apocalypse sim but its French makers, aptly named Anarteam, decided that taking on The Government was the way to go. But it’s animals! Kawaii animals. They’re bigheaded and extremely excitable. There are pugs and axolotls! It’s a salamander. Or a newt. Either way, it’s pink and damn cute, and I’m sold.

From trailers, it appears you spend most of the time pulling down the fabric of your cute society to reveal the cruelty beneath, avoiding the brainwash patrol, and gathering rioters with the added bonus of collecting a myriad of cuties. Oh, and killing other not-as-cute animals in riot gear and gas masks. It’s unclear what kind of animal the police are. I won’t take a guess. Anyway, Anarcute is part Rampage, part Katamari, and part riot.

It’s won a whole slew of awards and several of the development team are members of the Klondike Collective – fabulous indie game artists and arcade-cab makers.

Anarcute was released on Steam and today. It’s 10% off at Steam. It’ll stay that way until July 19th. You can also get it through the game’s site.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. RanDomino says:

As a Super Serious Anarchist I think this looks lovely.

• Zanchito says:

My anarchist senses are conflicted. Needs moar intellectualism and existential strife. But then it’d probably be super bleak and sad, cute animals fighting an endless uphill battle against vastly superior forces, trying to get their loved ones from being crushed by an innately unfair and unethical system. Pink bunnies are probably a better option, now that I think about it.

• P.Funk says:

The bleakness of a super serious anarchist’s realism mixed with the inanity of the mainstream’s cute obsession has a nice juxtaposition.

It makes me think of the sadness I felt as a kid everytime I won a round of Settlers 3 and all my enemies would start exploding in coloured puffs with these pathetic sad but cute little sounds signaling their welcome into oblivion. It was how they’d just start wandering around that got me. It was like they were desperate, trying to outrun death. I was a fun kid.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Well hello there Pikmin-clone which suddenly appeared on my radar!

The Steam reviews while entirely positive also suggest that the game is very very short (most reviewers have ~2 hours of gameplay.)

3. cloudnein says:

Looks good, and gameplay looks a lot like Ohklos (which, of course, looks like Pikmin and other games of this ilk) which I have been eagerly awaiting release. Would love to read comparisons!

4. Gratis says:

Awww.. Syndicate’s Persuadertron meets physics bunnies!

5. TheAngriestHobo says:

This reminds me of a cynical thought I have every so often… ie. if baby seals looked like giant spiders instead of boneless teddy bears, no one would care if you clubbed them. It’s amazing how easily people can be controlled and directed by playing upon their paternal/maternal instincts.

Case in point: make a game about directing mob violence towards police forces, sans the cute animals, and it will probably be just as controversial as the GTA games. Add cute animals, and people will happily curbstomp officers to death without batting an eye.

Note that I’m not advocating entirely on behalf of police forces when it comes to real-world issues; obviously the case is more complex than that. I’m simply using this particular game as an example of how easily emotional appeals can confuse issues that we’d otherwise examine pragmatically.

• frightlever says:

I think you’re reversing-engineering their, fairly obvious, decision to use cute animals instead of youths.

phuzz says:

Someone already made a game with more realistic people in, State of Emergency, and it didn’t really get noticed much. Mind you, it was published by Rockstar, and I guess in comparison to some of their other games, it’s pretty tame.

• Tokai says:

I think you’re looking way too much into a game about cute tiny animals and adorable music.

• cautet says:

We haven’t stopped clubbing seals (though I think we stopped clubbing baby seals), and there were no restrictions in place until they almost became extinct as far as I recall.

I guess if there were colonies of huge spiders exactly the same thing would have happened if the fur was useful. Though more probably we would chain them up in factories producing silk unable to move with their legs atrophying from lack of use.

So yeah – we have extremely low barriers to cuteness but it doesn’t stop us killing anything that moves if there is a gain.

6. DavishBliff says:

Finally, a game that recognizes that revolutions are material as much as intellectual.

7. Vacuity729 says:

I loved Rampage! It taught me many very important life lessons, such as:
    1) When life gets tough, find a human and eat them alive.
    2) Smashing buildings is the solution to every problem,
    and of course,
    3) Don’t eat people that your friends need to eat.

Such wisdom!

8. mukuste says:

This seems like it would be the perfect co-op party game and yet it doesn’t have co-op.

9. frightlever says:

This is just Stubbs the Zombie with less zombie.

• Janichsan says:

Kudos for that. Stubbs The Zombie gets mentioned far too rarely.

10. banana says:

Finally, a bit more anarchy in video games! Lovely!

Though the selection of cities raises a big question mark: Tokyo? (I mean, I really love Japan, but they seems to be the least anti-authoritarian culture I know. すみません。) Miami? Freakin’ Reykjavik?! Come on!
    I think this definitely needs more Berlin!

• Kollega says:

What I am wondering is what did Reyjkavik do to deserve an in-game riot. Because seriously.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, afaik, Iceland is the only nation who actually put some bankers behind bars after the economic crash of 2008.

X_kot says:

Their PM did have that lovely offshore account in Panama that was leaked. Granted, he voluntarily stepped down, but what if he hadn’t?

• stonetoes says:

Considering 10% of the population of Iceland supposedly took part in the protests against him, including Reykjavik seems like an appropriate choice.

• Kollega says:

Just as a side note, the population of Iceland is that of a single medium-sized city – about 300,000 people – so while the 10% figure speaks to the magnitude of protests, it doesn’t do so quite as loudly as one would think.

And the fact that the prime minister was told by the people to step down, and stepped down, even if he tried to hold onto his post for a bit first, is why I think that a full-blown riot in Reykjavik seems unlikely. As history shows, peaceful demonstrations are sufficient there.

• Tokai says:

Come on man, it’s a game about adorable tiny animals, how can you NOT set it Tokyo???

11. April March says:

Behind the cute animal façade this is basically Black Blocks vs. Fascist State. Which is great! At 0:35 the mob throws a tanker! I want to throw tankers!

• April March says:

And I hadn’t even noticed it’s out already. Can we get a WIT?