Grand Theft Auto V’s Cunning Stunts Update Now Live, Redux Mod Due In August

It’s Two-For-One Tuesdays here at RPS! Read one Grand Theft Auto V [official site] post, get one free. Your first serving is a wee apéritif served with a curly straw: news that the ‘Cunning Stunts’ has launched for GTA Online to add TrackMania-ish aerial raceways with loops and jumps and whatnot.

Your second bevvy is served in a hollowed pineapple festooned with sparklers, streamers, umbrellas, and slices of four fruits on the rim: GTA V’s Redux mod [official site] has a new trailer announcing the fancying-up overhaul mod will launch in August.

Cunning Stunts – an anagram of ‘Cnut Stings Nun’ – is now live and should update automatically. The download size was 666MB for me, which can only mean this update is fantastic. Cunning Stunts bolsters GTA V’s multiplayer side with a load of wacky races, as well as new vehicles and clothing. As Rockstar explain:

“Cunning Stunts takes GTA Online racing to epic new heights with a series of 16 brand-new, high-octane Stunt Races that feature everything from winding tubular tracks amongst Los Santos’ tallest skyscrapers to technical courses through canyons, over water and across the desert. Stunt Races utilize ramps, loops, wall rides, tubes, raised tracks and dynamic objects for a radically new take on GTA Online racing.

“This is unlike anything you’ve seen before: tracks coiling up into the sky, skyscraper jumps, turbo-boosted corkscrews at 20,000 feet… and that’s before you get to the giant bowling pins and the rings of fire.”

As for Redux, it’s a big ole overhaul mod touching up a lot. Features include all-new weather arrangements and new weather effects, new motion blur and other blurry cinematic touches, new road textures, real-world brands for billboards and such, new debris, oodles for particles on special effects, reworked police, rebalanced weapons, a few “realistic” changes to weapon fire rates and such, more-active NPC populations, reworked vehicle handling, tweaked physics, and a whole load of ReShade post-processing settings. And more.

Some of the systemic changes sound interesting but I hope there are lots of options on the graphics side. Overhaul mods often have a confused visual identity, pushing technical ‘improvements’ without a unifying style. I’m especially sick of over-sharpened textures presented as better because they’re high-resolution. Redux’s look doesn’t quite come together for me, silky reflections clashing with over-saturated colours and noisy asphalt all covered up with flashy effects. It looks a bit like a made-for-TV action film concealing a low budget with post-processing. How’s it look to you?

Anyway, Redux is coming on August 26th, as this new trailer reveals:

I’m still really impressed by how the Resident Evil 4 HD Project is coming along, remaking or retouching almost everything while still looking like RE4.

From this site

1. Trashcanman says:

While the update does look like bundles of fun I can’t help but feel they really let down those of us who stick to the singleplayer. I’ve been anxiously awaiting more of the promised heists since first getting this game on the xbox. Wonder if it will ever happen.

• Plake says:

Heists were promised for Online and they delivered. With the money they make selling shark cards, don’t wait for any single player DLC…

• epeternally says:

I’m tired of this trend toward all DLC being multiplayer focused because multiplayer theoretically makes for a better cash cow. The new Doom has fallen into this as well. Despite the chorus of internet comments requesting more SP, I guess the economics must justify it. Silent majority and all that. Bluntly I’d feel no sense of loss of the industry never released another multiplayer game, the amount of time involved in learning one properly inherently limits the number any person can reasonably play and we’ve already got more than enough for the next century.

• epeternally says:

Competitive multiplayer games, I mean. Don’t really parse co op experiences into the same category. They’re generally just the single player experience with 1-3 extra actors (or, if an MMO, a hundred).

2. mukuste says:

Cunning Stunts? That’s a daring title. I don’t even want to and still in my head I say it the wrong way around half of the time.

3. satan says:

Only had a brief play, but the stunt races are a hell of a lot of fun. Tracks going out across the ocean, huge jumps and drops that have you freefalling out of the sky, speed boosts, static and moving obstacles, big loops, etc…

I had the afterthought that it feels kind of corny and not very GTA related, but I don’t care when there is so much fun to be had.

• tuoret says:

It does feel slightly out of place, since so far most updates have been related to the players’ ever-growing criminal careers while this one is just crazy. And crazy fun.

Some tracks really feel like Trackmania or something, I keep trying to use boost whenever I’m losing.

4. RaoulDuke says:

Look Ma! I destroyed the shadow detail and made it look like a cartoon!

/Cleetus from The Simpsons voice

Just. please. stop. I’m not saying games can’t have their colour grading improved but its freaking GTA 5, I’m sure the colourists spent a *bit* of time on making sure it was what they wanted.

Of course enjoy things as you want to if you can, but please don’t tell me its “better”/”more realistic” because not everywhere on the Earth is lit the same as Battle Mountain, NV at midday, eg – link to tinyurl.com

• RaoulDuke says:

Seriously though, grass/colours don’t look that vibrant unless you are drunk on a rainy afternoon.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s like how every scene in every Michael Bay movie always occurs just an hour before sunset.

5. Anti-Skub says:

I still don’t get why you’re reporting on a mod like it’s some big upcoming event when, as you’ve said yourself, it looks amateurish.

• Alice O'Connor says:

We posted about this before so here’s continuity and information for people who were interested (some folks are really into these) – combined with leading news about something else in GTA V.

6. Cederic says:

You’ll be delighted to hear that GTA Cunning Stunts is an anagram of ‘Gnats Cutting Nuns’

I think that one’s safe?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s always odd when the page ad appears right in the middle of the quoted section of an article. Like, did Ian Rockstar have to take a break half way through their press release for a few words from their sponsors?

8. KastaRules says:

I do love me some stunts. Especially when they are particularly cunning.

9. Zorrito says:

Liking this, picks up the player-made stunt maps and smooths out the kinks. Some of the some of the tracks are a bit bland, but there’s a good spread. Particularly liked the bikes & offroaders trail through the wind-turbines. Good balance of minor chaos and major carnage :)