Fallout 4’s Vault-Tec Workshop DLC Coming July 26th

The penultimate piece of Fallout 4 [official site] DLC will launch on Tuesday July 26th, Bethesda have announced. The Vault-Tec Workshop is another add-on focused on building things and running settlements, this time letting players temp as the overseer of a Vault-Tec Vault. Yes, that will include running experiments on them. Fingers crossed this will let me, after years of parental lies, discover what actually happens if someone does nothing but ice cream and watch television. But the DLC won’t be that exciting, will it?

The Vault-Tech Workshop will cost £3.99/4,99€/$4.99 or is part of the DLC season pass. Here’s the Bethblurb:

“Create a massive Vault and attract new Dwellers using pre-war industrial kits complete with retro-nostalgic furniture, lighting, and art. And like every good Overseer, run Vault-Tec approved experiments on your Dwellers to learn what makes an ideal citizen.”

It is interesting that so much of Fallout 4’s DLC is adding small things and settlement stuff rather than big new quest lines and areas. All five of Fallout 3’s DLC packs focused on story bits and new areas, and so did most of the DLC for Fallout: New Vegas. Did Bethesda overestimate how much people would like settlements or am I underestimating it? I’ve seen a lot of folks complaining they’d wanted a whole lot more story and questing from the £40 season pass. And a lot of what Bethesda have made could’ve been added in free mods. Though maybe people who are interested in quietly building bases and robots are less inclined to post comments and reviews online.

Fallout 4’s final bit of DLC will be Nuka-World, which is to add a new region with a big theme park turned into a raider city. That sounds fun! Leading raider gangs in settlement attacks sounds a lark too.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Someoldguy says:

I’m all for post-nuclear settlement management in a game – I’ve wanted to continue to protect and serve my lightly irradiated citizens since the days of Fallout 1 – but I don’t think Fallout 4 does it well enough. Maybe once the modders get to work with all the new content that may change.

2. Stevostin says:

I’ve always considered Bethesda to actually sometimes deliver very tasty bits in their story, typically through outrageous side quest etc but this times it’s lacking for me. It’s not that the main story is bad. There are a few mistakes in how it’s delivered but it is an interesting story. Also a good cast of character, more memorable than most in FNV… And still, how I miss FNV and its admirable DLCs. Also F4 is clearly a bit ugly vs nowadays game. Or it’s something else, but I’ve never been taken into the game like I was in F3 or FNV. Lack of atmosphere…

• newguy2012 says:

FNV was made by Obsidian not Bethesda. Their dlc was better imo because they had a plan for it, a story that connected it all.

While I love Bethesda and Fallout 4 their dlc seems to be something they make up as they go along. Also 50% of the season pass is just settlement content, the part of the game I prefer to avoid.

3. stuw23 says:

It’s kinda sad how so much of the FO4 DLC is based around settlement building, yet the actual way you build settlements is so frustrating. It often felt like I was having to wrestle with the system, rather than utilise it, and the lack of explanation on how things worked was terrible – the best help I got was from Youtube videos by other players. So, to keep adding more stuff, without making any of that stuff fairly easy or fun to use, is kinda odd.

X_kot says:

So…I will be able to play Fallout Shelter in F4?

5. SomeDuder says:

I wonder how this works. I mean, it looks a LOT like Fallout Shelter (Mobile AFK/clicker game), which is just a 2D/ant colony view of a shelter.

But this is in the FO4 engine, so… do you get a custom interface to interact with the shelter? Can you walk around in your creation? It’s definately a break from the traditional.

• Mokinokaro says:

That’s just how they did it for a promo shot.

Going by their stream from yesterday it’s basically just settlement building with a bunch of experiment side quests attached.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

Remember when Fallout was an RPG?

• PachPachis says:

Are you from some horrible future where it isn’t?

• shadow9d9 says:

Fallout, like most Bethesda games, are first person shooters, not rpgs. Throwing in some token leveling and quests doesn’t change the nature of the game. And they make the same game over and over again. Elder Scrolls: post apoc 2 is no exception.

• melancholicthug says:

No, that was never so. It was always as it is, back when Bethseda came up with it. Why you have to lie? Liar! Shame on you.

• J.C. says:

I just call it as I see it – FO4 is a terrible game and a travesty to the name “Fallout.” At this point, the series is just a pointless cash in.

7. wishforanuclearwinter says:

“Did Bethesda overestimate how much people would like settlements or am I underestimating it?”

I’m right there with you. Completely disappointed and a little befuddled by the expansions.

• shadow9d9 says:

Settlements is likely easier to create “content” for, and since so many blindly preordered, they have no reason to make quality. They have the money already.

• neofit says:

Same here. I regret buying the season pass. I was waiting for all the story/quest DLCs to come out to get back into FO4 and do them in one fell swoop, but apparently there is only one like that? The rest are more like “stuff we thought about when writing the settlement part of the main game but never got around to implementing”.
      Sure, building a settlement was rather fun at the beginning, but due to the difficulty of managing the settlers themselves it became old quick. Meh. I can see no point in getting back into the game just to start playing around with settlements again.

8. Moonracer says:

I recently bought the season pass after coming to terms with the fact that even though I was bitter that FO4 wasn’t the fallout I wanted or expected I still enjoyed it. Secondly I used the valid excuse that mods will likely require all the DLCs anyway.

The strange thing is on this new play through with DLC I’m enjoying the workshop DLC more than I thought I would. Making fancy wire setups and arenas is fun. Yes it is hard and lacking instructions. But it is a challenge with a reward (cool towns) so I guess that makes it kind of a game in itself.

But you have to be the type who enjoys the process of things like getting a heavily modded game working or learning to play dwarf fortress.