EDF! EDF! Earth Defense Force 4.1 On Steam Monday

Colossal ants, spiders, bees, robots, and UFOs from outer space will be swarming PC from Monday in Earth Defense Force 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair [official site]. I know – what a name! It’s a revamped version of Earth Defense Force 2025, which isn’t nearly as good a name. We’ve only seen EDF on PC once before so the novelty hasn’t worn off for me and yeah, I think I am up for rampaging around Japan shooting massive hordes of space-monsters with my pals.

The Shadow of New Despair updates 2025 with fancied-up graphics, new weapons, a spider bot buddy, new missions, and tweaks to old missions. Also, y’know, it’s on Windows.

Unlike Insect Armageddon, the previous EDF game, 2025 is again made by series creators Sandlot. Our chum (and my flatmate) Cara became bored by 2025 when she reviewed it for Eurogamer but I’ve not played much EDF so I’m still very much up for it. I’ll surely win her over for co-op by chanting “EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!” around the flat.

If that somehow doesn’t work, I’ll pour a few boxes of crickets and mealworms under her bedroom door then burst in with a can of Raid chanting “EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!” I’ve got this.

EDF 4.1 TSOND will normally cost $49.99 but it will have a 30% launch discount when it arrives July 18th on Steam.

The enthusiasm, silliness, oddness, and jank of this fake propaganda broadcast seems to perfectly capture the spirit of EDF, both good and bad. If you like the look of this, you may be into it:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

PoulWrist says:

Insect Armageddon sounded cool, but then you bought and played it and it was just sort of like those awful asset-flip games on Greenlight that Jim Sterling warns us about all the time. But before that was a thing :|

• Jekhar says:

Insect Armageddon is supposedly a major departure from the series and was a try to make a more westernizes, serious version. At least that’s what i heard. I only ever player EDF 2025 on the 360. That was a ridiculous cheesefest which doesn’t take itself serious one bit. It got a bit grindy and boring if played solo, but i still liked it.

• KDR_11k says:

Yeah, it was made by a different developer who really messed it up. 4.1 is the original developer, they’ve looked at EDF IA and incorporated the four classes (but did so differently) while staying true to the older EDF design.

For example the main EDF series is a bit more stingy with health, in IA you can revive someone to full HP at no cost while EDF 4 makes you transfer half of your remaining health to the person you’re reviving (I think it’s by percentage instead of absolute value so if you have 50% of your max HP you and your partner go to 25% of your respective maximums). Or IA lets you buy most weapons with points you get from killing, EDF 4 makes all of them random drops (and not as much of a strict upgrade procession). IA had 15 missions and felt incomplete while characters were quipping and generally not taking things seriously, EDF 4 has something like 80 (but they’re shorter which makes them less tedious to replay) and by the end it’s the broken remains of humanity striking down the alien commander with the last of their strength. IA dictated “this is a vehicle section”, EDF 4 lets one class pick a vehicle as a loadout and spawn it into the battle.

I think I should stop listing differences or I’ll be here all day.

2. Jekhar says:

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack…

3. TΛPETRVE says:

So bloody happy to hear this. I’m gonna get my hands on the game ASAP.

4. jon_hill987 says:

I, For One, Welcome Our New Insect Overlords.

5. wcq says:

God damn you, Sandlot. God damn you to hell.

You’re telling me I need to buy EDF 2025 a third time?

6. Mungus Burger says:

When people talk about EDF, it annoys me that those conversations usually boil down to game being “ants”, shouting EDF over and over and it all being boring, even though it’s helluva lot more than that.

If you play the game on single player, on the easiest difficulty and with the basic infantry guy, no wonder it’s boring. EDF is and has always been a multiplayer game at it’s heart, whether on split screen or, nowadays, online. Lot of reviews, too, don’t ever mention the tactical gameplay and mission preplanning that the game offers (or multiplayer at all for that matter), especially when playing on higher difficulties. Those missions that were trivial on easy or normal, become a true tactical puzzle, where only the correct gear, seamless teamwork and true aim will let you win.

The public perception of EDF really mirrors that of, for example, the Dark Souls series, with Dark Souls being the “bad boy” of video games, even though it’s way more that that. In DS, you come for the “HARDEST GAME EVER” and stay for the intriguing world building and great gameplay; in EDF, you come for the explosions and ants and (should) stay for some of the best co-op gameplay money can buy.

• vorador says:

Sandslot knows it, since both EDF2 remake on PS Vita and EDF 2025 have a character type that is basically useless playing solo.

But Sanslot should promote it more on the marketing materials, since it is really a lot of fun on co-op.

• KDR_11k says:

Pfffft, people who call the air raider useless in solo haven’t played it much. Sure, half the gear is support stuff and some of it won’t do anything unless you’ve got team mates but there’s a wide selection of tanks, mechs and artillery vehicles that can be operated by a single player and are more than enough to stand up to a whole mission solo, plus it scales faster to higher difficulties as vehicle HP doesn’t depend on armor drops so a high level vehicle gives you a ton of survivability without grinding. EDF2 Vita swaps those vehicles for a crazy range of artillery beacons (most on timed cooldowns instead of the points system EDF 4 added) that let you rain hell down on anyone on the map and give you enough equipment slots to wield bombardments for any situation.

• Mungus Burger says:

That’s the other great thing about EDF 4 in particular. Every class is very playable in solo, some harder to grasp than others. Still, all the classes have nuanced gameplay and even the more useless feeling weapons can be handy if used properly (like the famous Air Tortoise). The hardest difficulties really are geared toward pro level gamers, as the game almost encourages players to exploit every bug and flaw there is. For an aspiring pro level action game wizard it’s like a dream come true, searching and finding exploits and strategies even the developers hadn’t thought of. To me, that is the highest level achievement an action game can have; the sort of thing Platinum Games is always searching for in their games. To end up with a game such as EDF 4.1 is a once-every-5-years kind of occasion.

• Znea says:

I always found the air raider to be more what I fell back on when I couldn’t win a mission with the other classes. Many are the missions I could only originally clear with a double load of turrets and an ambulance to sprinkle them on.

7. dagnamit says:

Give me a VR version of this nonsense and now we’re talking.

8. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Is Steam Monday a sales event?

9. vorador says:

To buy or not to buy. That’s the question.

I think i will get it, since there’s a lot of new stuff on 4.1 that i never played on the original release. But that depends on the amount of bugs (pun intended) that the game has. Is after all the first PC game Sandslot releases.

10. djvecchitto says:

I’m super pumped because the last time I played this was on PS3, where the framerates were literally single digits for half of the time… However, since the developers seem so technically inept, I wonder what this port will be like.

• KDR_11k says:

The framerates aren’t low due to inept developers but due to their design doctrine which seems to say “Framerate is headroom for more enemies”. When they ported EDF 2025 to PS4 and made EDF4.1 they added even larger enemy armies to many missions, plus friendly armies too. The Brute Force mission turns into a massive war with tank columns advancing towards the enemy shield wall, the Air Force mission becomes one of surviving a gigantic onslaught of drones until allied anti-air arrives. And the framerate drops again, even on PS4.

• Bluestormzion says:

lol, GOOD. I remember the first time I got to the Mothership on the 360, in the second to hardest difficulty (my 360 died before I could get to the hardest…) There was so much crazy shit going on overhead that my framerate TANKED… and I loved it. Like, the enemy is so overwhelming that even my game system can’t withstand them. I look forward to pushing my PC to its limits with everything that EDF has to offer.

11. Roald Hoffmann says:

This is, undoubtedly, one of the most important PC game release announcements to me ever. I have played consoles over the generations but the PC is my true love, and EDF is one of those spectacular titles that is so fun you can look past its flaws. Finally now, however, the issue of poor performance from the consoles can be alleviated! (Assuming the port is done well (SANDLOT/D3/whoever is responsible for this port PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do it right))

But now another important question to ask ourselves: will the lack of sub-10fps moments under extreme insect and explosive duress diminish the charm that EDF is so well known for? Thoughts?

• Znea says:

I liked to think of the slowdown as enforced bullet time, not sure how I’ll cope without it.

12. Bobtree says:

I loved EDF:IA (it was a great action game, grinding aside), but have mixed feelings about 2025 and serious reservations about 4.1. 2025 had separate online/offline progression, and server connection issues (on PS3), which became very tiresome and frustrating. 4.1 seems to have the same progress split, and retains 2025’s questionable design decisions (like the awful dragons).

The Steam release interests me, but it may stay on my wishlist quite a while. If you have a dedicated group of 4 who want to sink a couple hundred hours together, it could be better that way.

I keep wishing EDF were a tighter action game instead of such a ridiculous grind. There was some good stuff in 2025, but also a lot of crap.

13. GWOP says:

This is the one with mechas, right? If so…

14. noxohimoy says:

Judging by the video, this is worst trash than the ghostbusters refloop.

I rarely log in youtube to downvote, but this time I did.

• GWOP says:

I rarely log in to be pedantic, but this time I did.

• elevown says:

LOL Judging by the video – is a moronic thing to do with an edf game – there is a reason they are widely loved. There are issues with them all sure but just incredible fun games overall.

You sound like those people back in the day who dismissed minecraft as a bunch of crappy looking blocks – who’d play that?

15. HumpX says:

nothing wrong with EDF. Gaming will always need a handful of mindless shooters that don’t take themselves to seriously.