Fallout Shelter Now Available On PC

If you somehow missed Fallout Shelter [official site] on pocket telephones, you may be pleased to hear that the vault management game has just been released on PC. The game also got a hefty update today, which brings in a bunch of new features to breathe new life into your wasteland adventures.

Fallout Shelter is still free on PC, although you’ll have to take a few steps to actually get the game up and running. First off, you’ll need to download the Bethesda.net Launcher and set up an account if you don’t have one already. Once that’s all squared away, you just have to download the app and then you’ll have free rein over your very own post-apocalyptic bunker.

The Fallout Shelter PC version launches alongside the big 1.6 update, bringing a brand new combat system. It looks like you’ll be able to target specific enemies, rather than sending your vault dwellers into a room to blindly shoot at invaders and hope for the best.

You’ll also be able to pursue quests and explore new areas including Super Duper Mart and Red Rocket. If that’s not enough for you, Fallout Shelter is getting new enemies and special characters, too.

From this site

1. Spuzzell says:

I didn’t like it.

But I spent £20 finding that out, dammit.

It annoyed me inordinately that raiders could just walk into my vault pretty much whenever they felt like it.

2. TheAngriestHobo says:

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha pass.

• k47 says:

Once you install it using the client, you can make a direct shortcut for it and launch it without ever touching the client again. You’d only not have access to microtransactions this way.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

While I do appreciate the insight, it’s not really an ease-of-use issue for me.

I have three separate storefront clients installed already (against my better judgement) and I see no reason to go through the hassle of setting up a fourth – particularly for a company that’s been progressively dumbing down their games, and has been building them off of essentially the same engine for the past 14 years.

Besides, separate clients are of no benefit to the consumer whatsoever, and it’s not like Bethesda is going broke selling their games through Steam. This is just more Scrooge McDuckery from a company that’s rapidly gaining a reputation for it.

• DarkCypher says:

I get not wanting 50 different launchers/storefronts installed. To Bethesda’s credit, there isn’t anything to buy in the launcher at the moment (it isn’t a storefront), just the creation kit for Fallout 4 and Shelter. I’m pretty sure they put Shelter in the launcher instead of Steam because Steam would have wanted a cut of the in-app-purchases; which there are a lot of and make you cringe when you go to the store tab in-game.

FrostByghte says:

Very much in agreement with the comments AGAINST Big B and this silly launcher. I am a voracious collector of PC games. I have GOG and Steam installed, I simply do not need Origin, Bethesda, MS Store or whatever else installed. It is very disappointing to see this trend…and I have been voting with my $$$ to not support it.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

There were a few years when every other game had a dedicated launcher client and game specific accounts but that trend thankfully died when publishers started merging their account systems or just tying users seamlessly with Steamworks etc.

Yet another to the pile of inconvenient accounts and software to buy/use software on the other hand means you have your digital egg basket one step further away from One Facebook/Google/Microsoft Login to rule them all, One to find them, One to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

• malkav11 says:

I was really afraid this was the direction they were heading when the stupid thing was announced (the launcher, not Fallout Shelter) and I’m not happy to be right.

• Tayh says:

If you can install steam, then you can also install this launcher. Stop being damn hypocrites. I thought you people LIKED drm.

• Suits says:

Indeed, makes it easier for me to ignore

3. DarkCypher says:

I enjoyed the game on my phone, but even with a newer phone it tended to slowdown once your vault got past mid-game. The PC version doesn’t seem to suffer from that; Nice and snappy.

It’s an entertaining time kill when I’m relaxing at my computer in the evening and I don’t want something that requires 100% of my attention. Even if there isn’t much of an endgame (a problem most simulation games have).

4. vorador says:

I played it when it launched on mobile. I tend to get annoyed with F2P game’s mechanics and this one wasn’t a exception. Having to wait for bars to fill and timers to reset so i can actually play isn’t my cup of tea.

5. stuw23 says:

Hoping it doesn’t suffer from the same issues as the Android version does/did, when it would constantly crash once a Vault got large (100+ dwellers). Nothing too special, but it’s a nice enough time killer, and it felt like I could progress well enough without having to spend money. That’s more than can be said of most mobile ports.

6. Voqar says:

Lost me at at the bethesda.net. I already endure battle.net and some other nonsense and don’t want to have to suffer thru garbage from every game maker. Plenty of other stuff to play out there that is hassle free (or tied into someone more mainstream like Steam).

7. WorldMaker says:

It would have been nice of them to release it to the Windows Store and you know support Windows Phones. Whoever thought “Bethesda Launcher” was a good idea was definitely an idiot or committee of idiots, but they could at least do both their crazy launcher and Windows Store, at least, sigh.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, if you’re going to hamstring your game by putting it in a client no one wants or uses, you might as well double down by supporting another unwanted, unused store.

8. JFS says:

Nah, it’s just a nicely styled Skinner box. I’d rather play Cookie Clicker.

• mouton says:

Launched it recently again. Stopped myself after a few days. Thank God.