Survive Hordes Of Robots In VR Gunfighter Raw Data

VR games are clogging up Steam’s Early Access list like cholesterol these days. Well, here comes another one. Raw Data [official site] is a survival-mode shooter that pits you (and a friend if you’ve got one) against wave after wave of malevolent robots. Using a laser katana to deflect their shots and your own selection of firearms to shoot back, you have to survive for as long as it takes to download one “geopbyte” of data from Eden Corp’s mainframes. I hope you’re using a good USB stick. Come see the trailer.

Developers Survios have been showing off a playable demo of this to journos and other folks for a few months, letting them play with the swords, pistols, bows and arrows and shotguns. But now that it’s out on Early Access, any pleb with the £689.99 required to buy a HTC Vive – and another £23.99 to buy Raw Data itself – and can dive straight in.

There are two classes to play as – Cyber Ninja or Gun Cleric. I’ll say that second one again. GUN CLERIC. Each class has its own distinct weapons and abilities: bullet time, telekinesis, sword-throwing, levitation. Between waves you hack into Eden’s database to earn upgrades, including the ability to install defensive turrets, erect barricades and plant other traps. Meanwhile, the enemy swarms become more numerous and powerful. It’s up to you (and your equally wealthy friend) to stand in the middle of the room and fight them off.

The co-op is probably the most interesting thing about it. It’s available online, and the game supposedly encourages communication through body language , even allowing you to high-five your partner-in-arms. But it also presents some problems. How many of us have a friend with a Vive, let alone own one ourselves? Then again, maybe this is the game that spurs you to finally invest. What do you think? Wouldn’t you like to slice up robots in virtual reality with a pal? Maybe you’d be happy to fight it out solo. Send us your reckons.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. mukuste says:

I don’t really get this. How is this game improved by being VR? Why are the same old industrial warehouse environments supposed to be interesting enough for me to want to immerse myself in them?

It may just be me but I think where VR can really shine is in letting you explore interesting or beautiful places. This game here just makes me shrug.

• Renevent says:

Because it is completely different than playing with M&KB on a 2D flat screen. You are in the game, chopping up enemies, aiming and shooting their heads off, dodging laser beams with your body matrix style, and the visuals are amazing in the Vive.

• naffgeek says:

I am assuming you haven’t got VR.

I only assume this as the difference is night and day, when you are playing this the immersion is incredible. Aiming is second nature (VR in general).

Honestly if you have any way of trying this then take it, you will realise the difference the second you put the headset on and look at the guns in your hands (you actual virtual hands :))

• zarthrag says:

This. VR is to MKB as “watching an activity” is to “doing an activity.” You aren’t giving high-level commands to move/shoot/etc – you’re *doing it*.

Also, tired genres that never worked in 2D on me (horror, etc) take on new, heart-shatteringly terrifying forms in VR like a bad dream strapped to your face.

Given the performance limitations, VR is (to me) like the original arcade/console generations of the 70s/80s. There’s little to no AAA presence, and everyone is trying new things. Lots of new/cheap titles taking risks. It’s great!

• Stevostin says:

How come moving a sword is more fun than hitting a key to launch a fixed animation of a moving sword ?

That being said, is there any FPS on VR where you can, actually, you know, move ?

2. obscured021 says:

The Gun Cleric’s in Equilibrium were bad ass.

3. Renevent says:

It’s the best game on the Vive as of yet. Vanishing Realms is really awesome as well, but this is really the first game that really has that “full game” feel and the production values are fantastic.

I also got to do some co-op yesterday as well, and that is so much fun. I was playing the Gun Cleric and the other guy was the Ninja. Everything is so natural we were talking to each other, taking different positions, and I was covering his back as he was slicin’ and dicin’ everything. And yes, virtual high fives were given.

4. TheCze says:

Played this for 15 minutes today. Pretty awesome and very immersive experience, probably best looking Vive game available at the moment. Gonna start playing it properly on Sunday once my brother has time for coop!

yhancik says:

The future of gaming! Now you can kill humanoid targets in 3D!