Oh, Whoops! Crackdown 3 Is Coming To Windows 10

Oh! Here’s some late news: Crackdown 3 [official site] is also coming to Windows 10. I know, I know This was announced a month ago. Whoops. But you can grump that I’m late or be glad that it’s coming.

Crackdown, for folks who didn’t see the earlier games on Xbox 360, is about a super-powered futurecop dispensing violent futurejustice in a sandbox open-world futurecity. What’s fancy and new with 3, beyond its first appearance on PC, is destructible futurebuildings. Kerfutureblammo!

Crackdown 3 will once again send Agents out into the futurecity with futureguns and transforming futurecars to destroy all the futuregangs, taking them down in whichever way and order you please. And blowing the city as you please. With support for four-player co-op. Here’s last year’s Gamescom trailer.

I suppose I missed the PC news during E3 because the quiet announcement focused more on a delay. Heck, I only noticed it now because Game Informer gabbed with Microsoft about the delay. The reason includes something technical called a “hate table”, which is my kind of jargon.

“Depending on what you choose to destroy in the environment, there will be massive, big reactions all over the city,” Microsoft Studios general manager Shannon Loftis explained to Game Informer. “Gangs will get together against you.”

It’s being made by Reagent Games, a studio founded by Dave Jones. Y’know, the chap who co-founded DMA Design, the folks who made Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto before becoming Rockstar. Chap who then co-founded Realtime Worlds, who made Crackdown then oh no oh dear the doomed APB. That chap.

Crackdown 3 is due in 2017. As an Xbox Play Anywhere game, it’ll require Windows 10 but getting it on PC also gives the game on Xbox One (and vice versa) and progress is shared between the two.

And here’s Dave Jones last August, blowing the heck out of futureeverything:

From this site

1. popej says:

The first game was great fun but in dire need of mouse and keyboard controls. I’m therefore looking forward to this.

• Unclepauly says:

Wat o.o

There really isn’t any need for precise aiming and analog control on those crazy jumps is far superior to wasd, along with the driving bits. This is one game where mouse and keyboard is inferior to controller, and I’m a m/kb guy.

2. paranoydandroyd says:

Skills for kills, agent. Skills for kills.

3. alw says:

“about a super-powered futurecop dispensing violent futurejustice in a sandbox open-world futurecity”

Well that’s lucky. I was getting so fed up with games about being a super-powered futuresoldier dispensing violent futurejustice in a sandbox open-world futurecity. This’ll make a nice change.

Nauallis says:

Here’s that one time where I worry about the city map getting much bigger. Pacific City was about the right size for the original game. Might be nostalgia though.

5. Erinduck says:

Hopefully it won’t suffer from the tedium that plague Crackdown 2 and instead follows more in the footsteps of the first game

• gunny1993 says:

I’m still not entirely sure why I loved 1 but hated 2, might be the grindy enemies and the lack of vehicle upgrades

6. Renegade says:

Never played any of the previous Crackdowns but this one looks like a lot of fun. There hasn’t been a decent mass destructible game since Red Faction Guerrilla.

7. Radiant says:

Yes I WILL blow the city as I please.
    Cops can’t stop me this time.

8. Mokinokaro says:

Be warned. This game was announced to force an online connection on the Xbox because it supposedly uses “the cloud” for destruction physics.

The PC version therefore might also be always online.

• Geebs says:

Definitely will be always online. I’m intrigued by the possibility that when they switch the servers off, the buildings will no longer fall down.

(the real reason for the delay is, of course, that offloading physics to a server is a terrible idea that will only work if barely anybody plays the game, but as a tent-pole feature they can’t quietly drop it)

• SaintAn says:

Pretty sure when they first announced it they said the destructible environments that need cloud would only be in multiplayer. So it shouldn’t be always online since singleplayer wouldn’t need to use the cloud.

• DuncUK says:

So basically, they’re saying the multiplayer destruction physics is calculated server side instead of client side? Umn, sounds like competitive multiplayer design 101 to me. Spinning this as some sort of win for “the cloud” is some pretty optimistic marketing BS.

• anon459 says:

“…uses “the cloud” for destruction physics.”

Jesus, that’s so stupid it makes me want to not play the game. Whether it’s legit or some bs cover up for drm, either way it’s fucking dumb.

9. Unclepauly says:

“And blowing the city as you please.”

10. Otterley says:

Thought I caught a typo at first – until I watched the video.
    Now, “… blowing the city as you please” sounds like the obvious thing to do. You will, after all, be entering a “once glistening metropolis” ^^

11. Da5e says:

Didn’t Hate Table release a split 7″ with Entrails Massacre?

12. Eight Rooks says:

I am simultaneously overjoyed and terrified. The first game was utterly amazing to play (despite being visually generic at best, downright ugly at worst), and it’s still pretty much the best collectathon there’s ever been, but jeez, I started to hear that sound to indicate there was an orb nearby in my sleep. Still, if Mr. Jones can recapture the magic, that’s one less reason to want an Xbone.

• Malcolm says:

Loved the first one, except for that last bloody orb I never did find. Quite looking forward to this…

13. April March says:

I remember hearing about Crackdown 3 for the first time a few months back, Googling it, landing on its wikipedia page and reading a bizarrely written sentence that made it look like Microsoft Azure, instead of a technology enabling building destruction, was an entity in the game that was destroying the city.