Back To The Wasteland: Fallout 1.5 – Resurrection

Fallout. Fallout never changes. No, wait, that’s not quite right. Fallout. Fallout has changed too much.

Resurrection [official site] is a Fallout 2 mod for all those who think that even the second game was a step too far from the original. Dispensing with many of the pop culture references with which the sequel was “overfilled”, this brand new story, set in New Mexico in a time period between the two original games, returns to “the great atmosphere of decadence and hopelessness enjoyed by so many in the first Fallout game”. All you need to play is a full version of Fallout 2. Downloads are here.

Resurrection has been available for a few years but the English version is new. It’s free and contains around the same number of locations as Fallout 1 but there are more quests available and almost all have multiple solutions.

Based on the creators’ description, it sounds for all the world like a new Fallout game. A new isometric, traditional Fallout game. I haven’t played either of the originals for a long time but I have such fond memories of them that I’d definitely be willing to try something new in the same style. I know it’s not quite the same thing but Wasteland 2 frustrated me, much as I enjoyed it, like a cantankerous old uncle who insists on sending telegrams even though you’ve bought him a smartphone. I don’t remember Fallout being quite as demanding, in terms of UI and use of very specific skills at very specific times, but memories can be unduly kind.

Resurrection is more than a decade in the making, with the English translation taking an additional two and a half years:

“We’ve worked on Resurrection for more than 10 years. We worked for two-and-a-half years on the English translation after that. All of us have worked on Resurrection in our free time.

“The name “Resurrection” was chosen for two reasons. Firstly, resurrection is a theme tied closely to the main character who, at the beginning of the game, practically rises from the dead. Secondly, our modification represents the resurrection of good old Fallout. We didn’t want to re-imagine the entire game system. Instead, our aim was to bring back this classic RPG in its original form. Many remember that feeling when they first played Fallout; until you completed the game, you journeyed through interesting locations filled with fascinating things. Even after several play-throughs, you continued to find new, exciting stuff. Players could really get into such a game, so that’s exactly the kind of game we’ve endeavoured to create.”

Heroic.

From this site

1. MattS says:

I am very tempted to try this after finishing 1 and 2 for god knows how many times.

I have only one fear, the quality of the writing. Fan stuff tend to be rather underwhelming. Anybody got some experience with the mod in that regard?

2. fragglerock says:

I feel that playing any of these post apocalyptic games could be seen as simply practice for the oncoming Trump/Brexit world we are entering!

3. LennyLeonardo says:

If playing as Tracer has taught me anything it’s that you can’t win by only using Recall.

4. Sadfist says:

Wooohooo!
    Also, what was the original language of this?

5. Dudeist says:

It can be more popular, when on normal download servers instead of payable or registration needed.

• lofaszjoska says:

Yeah, fuck torrents, MoDDB and the other download links that require you to register.

6. Someoldguy says:

Hmm, I definitely have the original CD buried in a vault somewhere. Tempting to try this out when I next feel like some post-nuclear entertainment. Fallout Shelter is scratching that itch right now, even though it’s a very different type of game.

7. Monggerel says:

Playing it for the first time now (though I’m well familiar with the story, having played and finished every other Fallout game except for Tactics) and I gotta say, the only place “the great atmosphere of decadence and hopelessness enjoyed by so many in the first Fallout game” only exists in the fans’ own headcanon. If anything, the thing that was most shocking to me is how thoroughly civilized the Wasteland is from the very first game.
    Makes sense; quite a bit of time has passed since Wambam Atomic Tango and people had plenty of time to (re)build.

The only games where this isn’t apparent are Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 because Bethesda can’t even make fucking Cyrodiil, the heart of commerce and the definition of Imperial Splendor, look civilized.

On an unrelated note, the Mad Max game was probably the best movie tie-in I ever played and I heartily recommend it to anyone who likes deserts, cars and explosions.

• Sin Vega says:

I was wondering about this, too. I can’t recall a single settlement in Fallout that could be described as “decadent” – even the very well equipped Brotherhood live a pretty Spartan military existence. As for “hopeless”, I’d say it’s the complete opposite, it’s clear the world is starting to get back on its feet pretty well, and the player character has to try fairly hard to not bring hope and peace and prosperity everywhere they go.

• Kaeoschassis says:

For a post-apocalyptic series that traditionally opens with the line “War never changes”, Fallout has always been incredibly optimistic, I feel. Old Fallout, new Fallout, always. Almost anywhere you go, people are getting on with it, making the best of it. Its overall tone couldn’t be much further from “hopeless”, yeah.

Honestly this feels like a bunch of people with a very strong but very personal feeling of what Fallout is “supposed” to be have put their hearts and souls into it and while I love to see that stuff, and find it admirable as all hell, I’m not sure I actually agree with them. I’ll give it a go, because any excuse to go back to any Fallout is fine by me, but I’m a little wary.

• LionsPhil says:

If we’re allowing 2, then Vault City was, at the very least, held in stark contrast to the rest of the wasteland as being the elitist “haves”.

• tomimt says:

Well considering this mod is done by Chezchs, maybe there was something lost in translation back in the day? Or better yet, maybe there even wasn’t a translation back in the day and a lot of non English speakers maybe just didn’t get everything that was in the game.

I recall back in the 90’s I bought a game, Future Wars, that was in German. I didn’t mind, as then I understood English only a bit better than I did German, so I was happy enough to play it through with a help of a dictionary which helped me understand some, but not all of it.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I found the game in English and played it through. I was pretty disappointed of the story now, that I could understand everything. The German version, of which I hadn’t understood at all, had in my mind been a lot better as far story went, but after being able to really read it all in a form that I understood was a disappointing experience, as the writing itself wasn’t that good. I also had thought the story to be more dark and serious, but in the end it was just a pretty run in the mill pastiche of sci-fi clishes with a good dose of limping jokes.

• Alevice says:

Maybe it was a problem with the English translation itself?

• Alevice says:

New Reno is the closest thing to decadent I suppose. But aside from some tows being ruled by dicks, Fallout is def optimistic

• Ragnar says:

Wouldn’t be the first time fans remember a game very differently from what it was actually like.

Just like the Diablo 3 art controversy, because everyone remembers that Diablo 2 had no colors other than black, white, and grey: link to archive.org

And was set during the perpetual midnight, completely enveloped in darkness: link to technobuffalo.com

And colorful spells and effects were right out: link to i1-news.softpedia-static.com

8. jellydonut says:

Definitely giving this a shot.

9. gabrielonuris says:

About Wasteland 2 being compared with the Fallout franchise, I use to say that it has more in common with Fallout Tactics than anything else. In other words: too many action bits, with almost no role playing decisions.

Marclev says:

“Fallout has changed too much”

That one sentence is simply the best verdict of Fallout 4 I have ever read. No more words are needed to sum it up.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Nah.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

In an alternate universe the Fallout IP was never bought by Bethesda and left dead for years after Brotherhood of Steel for Xbox and PS2. It was eventually resurrected by an InXile kickstarter to get a lukewarm reception and promptly forgotten again.

gritz says:

“Firstly, resurrection is a theme tied closely to the main character who, at the beginning of the game, practically rises from the dead. Secondly, our modification represents the resurrection of good old Fallout.”

In other words, we’ve gone back to the good old originals by ripping off New Vegas.

• Alevice says:

Part of me thinks its more that they liked the cool sounding foreign word, rather than anyhing “meaningful or related”

• Ganimoth says:

Yeah, back in 2007 when they started the project they surely miraculously had NV at their disposal, bloody thieves!

gritz says:

Wow nine years in development and they still couldn’t be bothered to have an original plot hook?

• Ganimoth says:

nope, after all obviously its good nuff even for writers at Obsidian :P

12. icemann says:

“Brazil” and “The Frontier” are THE Fallout singleplayer expansion mods to wait for. Though both of them are for New Vegas.