Tanks A Lot: Steve Jackson’s Ogre Rolling Onto PC

When Steve Jackson Games Kickstarted a new release of his tank battle board game Ogre [official site], one of the stretch goals they hit was a video game adaptation. Well, it’s coming a few years later than planned but the game is now officially announced. The adaptation is coming all hexy and turn-based in 2017 from Auroch Digital, the folks who adapted Games Workshop’s Chainsaw Warrior and are also currently working on GW’s Dark Future and their own Last Days of Old Earth.

Ogre was Steven Jackson’s first game, initially published in 1977. Lawks! It’s new to me so let’s consult the rulebook:

“In its basic version, Ogre is a two-player game representing an attack by a cybernetic fighting unit – the Ogre – on a strategic command post guarded by an armor battalion. Playing time is between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Other scenarios (see the Scenario Book) may involve the larger (G.E.V.) maps, more types of units, and/or several Ogres, and may take as long as desired.”

Apparently Ogres are AI-powered cybertanks built for futurewar. Futurewar!

Ogre is coming our way via Steam in “late 2017”.

Maybe one of y’all cardboard parents can tell the rest of us how beautiful your baby is. Gosh, look how ridiculously huge the cardboard version is. No wonder they’re making a digital version.

From this site

1. mrentropy5 says:

I remember playing the Atari 8-bit and ST versions of O.G.R.E. I’d like to see how they modernize it up.

2. Spinkick says:

how about a car wars pc adaption?!

• Frog says:

I think you have to wait 30 more years for that one.

• AurochJake says:

Can’t comment on Car Wars but one of the other titles we are working on, alongside Ogre, is an adaptation of another car combat game from that era, Dark Future by Games Workshop, into a digital game on PC, Dark Future: Blood Red States :)

• Frog says:

As far as other SJ games go, GURPS was the original inspiration for Fallout but the two parties couldn’t reach a licencing agreement. I’m pretty sure.

• Phasma Felis says:

Not the “inspiration,” really, they just wanted to use the GURPS mechanics for it.

• frightlever says:

Have you seen Dark Wind?

• El Mariachi says:

That was Autoduel, a sort of open world vehicular action RPG that came out in 1985. (I did not remember that Lord British was a co-creator!)

3. Frog says:

Well it’s about damn time.
    I’ve been hoping for a more up to date version of Ogre since my friends and I played the original cardboard in the 80s. And Steve Jackson has promised the project over and over including the Kickstarter stretch goal more recently.
    The PC version was really really basic. That was about 1986, CGI graphics, ugh.
    This is good news, but we’ll just have to see.

4. frightlever says:

Based on the Bolo stories by Keith Laumer, FWIW.

• Phasma Felis says:

Quite loosely based, IIRC. “Inspired by” might be a better world; IIRC, it was only the basis concept of “huge, robot-controlled tank.”

5. scharmers says:

I would share pictures of the beautiful monstrosity that is the Designer’s Edition (including a photo of my cat sitting on the gameboard, rolling a die) but I have nowt idea how to post pictures here.

The entire game/box/contents weighs upwards of 30 lbs.

• malkav11 says:

I could fit any two of my other boardgames in the Designer’s Edition box with room to spare. Probably several if I wasn’t picking the absolute hugest.

6. OttoVonFoo says:

I grew up playing all the SJ games, and OGRE was one of the best. I have the giant Designer’s Edition and it’s fabulous. It’s a game that’s easy to mod, too, and my teenage son and his friends have done that, coming up with a resource generation model that lets you play it as with some industry/economics overlaid. Fun stuff.

GURPS is so much better than D&D, too.

7. Phasma Felis says:

Alice, not that I doubt you or anything, but none of those links seems to lead to a game announcement.

8. Winged Nazgul says:

Pft, I’m used to the original 1977 printing that had all the game components including folded map fit into a small (and I do mean small) ziploc bag.

• fylth says:

The original version was rather wonderfully re-released as Ogre: Pocket Edition a few years back, it’s a lovely little package. Costs barely anything (pretty sure it was sub £3) and the die cut pieces seem higher quality than the original.

9. wodin says:

We HAVE TO SEE CAR WARS at some point..