Biff! Bam! Tekken 7 Reveals Bob And Master Raven

I’m still a little surprised Tekken 7 [official site] is coming to PC after 23 Tekkenless years. Bandai Namco announced their fighting game’s PC port during E3, and showed a little more of it during last weekend’s Evo fightorama. This is exciting to me because, as someone who’s not played Tekken since the first PlayStation, I am delighted to discover its lineup includes characters I’d describe as “post-apocalyptic American tourist” and “’90s Image Comics anti-heroine.” Fighting games have some of the more unusual character designs out there so yes, thank you for these weird treats Bamco.

Of course, if you do know Tekken, you might be delighted to see that Bob is returning from Tekken 6. Look at this fella:

“Bob (full name: Robert Richards) is an American fighter that practices Freestyle Karate as his chosen fighting style,” say Bamco. “Possessing great strength, uncanny speed, and a wide range of attacks, Bob is one of the most well rounded fighters in the Tekken series.” Robert ‘Bob’ Richards. Freestyle Karate. Good stuff. I’ve no idea why he looks like he’s stumbled out of Dead Island or Zombieland but I am certainly up for this.

And maybe Tekken 5 fans will be intrigued by this mysterious new character?

“The original Raven made his debut in Tekken 5 with origins that are still murky today. Now Master Raven enters the fight in Tekken 7, executing her ninjutsu fighting skills with exceptional power and precision. Master Raven has no problem tearing her opponents apart in The King of Iron Fist Tournament.”

Mysterious! But I’m in it for the weird mask-helmet thing, which was mandatory in the ’90s for any character who carried guns bigger than themselves and was always shouting to reveal hundreds of teeth and thick strands of saliva.

Thanks again, fighting games!

Tekken 7 is coming via Steam in “early 2017”.

From this site

1. Craig Stern says:

“I’m still a little surprised Tekken 7 is coming to PC after 23 Tekkenless years.”

Well it’s certainly Tekken them long enough!

2. fish99 says:

Looks kinda ugly compared to the competition.

• CptPlanet says:

Are you talking about Bob or other fighting games? Imo, it’s the best fighting game graphically.

• rgronow says:

Bob’s hair is awful though…looks like it should be on XB360.

For me, the new street fighter wins on graphics.

• fish99 says:

All I know is those trailers looked damn ugly, the backdrops and the texture work, even the characters don’t look great. Looks like PS3-era visuals. Not that SFV looks that great either, but at least it has some style and colour. And MKX looks a whole heap better.

I dunno, maybe it’s just that stage, or maybe the video.

3. int says:

If Bob had red hair he’d be Norton Mapes.

4. Phasma Felis says:

Yeah, there seems to be kind of a Renaissance in Japanese PC ports lately. Is PC gaming taking off in Japan, or are these ports more motivated by western audiences?

• Slazia says:

I don’t think PC gaming is getting any more popular here in Japan. I think it’s still a niche audience. But I could be wrong…

• SomeDuder says:

Probably not in japan, due to the language barrier (English) but since lots of independent developers are making amazingly fun games as (unintentionally) PC-exclusive, people don’t mind playing games on something with a mouse and keyboard again.

While it’s easier to create applications for a (Windows) PC, I don’t doubt for a second that, if the console’s marketplaces could offer the same functionality as Steam, it’d be a whole different story. But with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo being what they are, this is never going to happen.

As for why Tekken? I guess it’s because the competition (Street Fighter) has been available on Steam for a few years now and has attracted something remotely resembling a customerbase, so Tekken’s also there to get in on that.

• RNGod says:

Pretty sure it’s just that japanese devs and publishers are waking up to an untapped market of western PC gamers.

• pepperfez says:

I think Valve has been actively evangelizing recently, which is a major change from their past obtuseness to Japanese developers.

5. BooleanBob says:

Alice, his full name is obviously Bob Moveset. It says so right there in the video!

• Czrly says:

That’s EXACTLY what I thought.

In my opinion, the physics and “connection” of the kicks and punches seem about as vague and inaccurate as punch-’em-ups from the early ’90s, only made worse by the fact that those were 2D so the vagueness was more difficult to notice. Is this what fans of the genre expect or is it simply that the genre hasn’t moved at all in 25 years?

phuzz says:

Am I the only person who thinks that Bob looks like Notch?

phuzz says:

Actually, we should totally have a game-dev fighting game.
      Peter Molyneux could have a special move where he blinds his opponent with hype, and them drops them into a pit of disappointment. And in the game.