Summer Hols: Hitman’s Summer Bonus Episode Is Out

Ian Hitman is off on his summer sols. He’s packed his swimming trunks (with garotte drawstring), his beach ball (infused with francium to explode when hurled into e.g. a water polo match), his goggles (infrared vision obvs), his camera (firing poison darts), and his sunscreen (a slaphead’s gotta be careful!) and headed into the Hitman [official site] Summer Bonus Episode, which launched today. It doesn’t add new areas but it does re-work Sapienza and Marrakesh a little for two new missions. Someone’s filming a sci-fi action movie in Sapienza with a honking great robot, for starters.

The Summer Bonus Episode sends Ian to Sapienza to bop that robomovie’s star, while he’ll be in the night markets of Marrakesh to knock off naughty men making “a billion dollar deal”. If you want to get technical, these are set before the rest of the game, separate from the main story. These also bring new Challenges and new Opportunities, and will make these potential settings for future Escalation Contracts and Elusive Targets. Here, have a look at the murderous summer nights in this trailer:

As for how to get this episode, it’ll be given to everyone who’s bought the full game in any form. It’ll be sold separately later for folks who own have bits and pieces.

A third mission is coming too, to launch alongside the individual release of this episode. No word yet on when that’ll be.

Oh, in other Hitman news, the next Elusive Target will be gurning actor Gary Busey. He won(?) a vote against Gary Cole. Publicity stunts are weird, man.

From this site

1. Mi-24 says:

These look great, however I have been unable to play them yet despite having the full game (It prompts me to purchase the full game before I can play).

has anybody else run into this, or not run into it? Hopefully fixed by a patch soon.

• TheChaya says:

Steam just downloaded a 5gig update for the game and when I access I can see the bonus content in the menu but it prompts me to download it and when I click it takes me to the DLC page where it says I own everything. And… Okay, Steam just now started downloading an additional 6gigs of Hitman content. Maybe that will be it.

2. Raoul Duke says:

Dear god, how many articles about this nickel-and-diming DLC nightmare can you guys publish?

This is not an allegation of anything improper, but is there some sort of arrangement involving RPS which explains the endless stories about this game?

• Sutoi says:

Funny, I paid $47 for the entire game including the unreleased content. I don’t FEEL nickel and dimed…. Strange.

• TheChaya says:

Since the game is not about linear storytelling, the episodic structure fits it well. So the choice was either episodic starting from February, or the whole game around Q4. Must be purely financial reasons for Squenix. Its interest bubble still hasn’t burst!

• Banks says:

$47? That’s so meta.

• Llewyn says:

True, it’s an insinuation of something improper.

• Raoul Duke says:

No, it isn’t. If I wanted to do that, I would.

I am genuinely trying to understand why every tiny piece of content released for this game is being given coverage on this site, which traditionally tries not to be like IGN etc. So I am wondering whether there is some (perfectly proper) link between RPS and someone involved in making this game, for example, or if they have particularly charming PR people, or if it’s simply a case of RPS peoples loving the game so much that they think everyone wants to hear about Mr Hitman’s new hat every week rather than, say, articles about different games. Or perhaps their metrics just tell them that writing a lot about Hitman attracts a lot of traffic, which again would not be an improper motive but would be a reason for the weirdly high levels of coverage.

I mean, if you look here: link to rockpapershotgun.com then there are something like 15 articles about new ‘chapters’ or targets or whatever in the last 3ish months. That’s basically an article a week, every week, about relatively small slices of a game that has been deliberately released in a piecemeal fashion.

• John Walker says:

It’s a game that lots of our readers, and writers, are interested in and enjoying, so we’re reporting news about it.

Your imagined scenario absolutely would be something wildly improper, and obviously is completely false.

PS. “they think everyone wants to hear about Mr Hitman’s new hat every week rather than, say, articles about different games.”

If you take a careful look at the site, you might spot one or two articles about other games.

• Raoul Duke says:

Well, despite me going out of my way to point out that I’m not suggesting anything improper, you’ve taken it that way, which is a shame. My question was totally genuine. If you look at other articles on this game, you will notice that other readers have made similar comments about the level of coverage you are giving Hitman. It is, in my view, entirely reasonable to ask about it. You’ve given a reasonable answer.

I don’t agree that it would be “wildly improper” if there was a non-commercial arrangement (e.g. really good access to the developer from io interactive, or just really good press material being sent to you) that meant you were writing a lot about this game.
        Sure. But presumably there are finite resources at RPS, many, many games that you don’t have time to cover, and to my mind every article about how there’s another NPC to be murdered in Hitman could have been an article about a new game from someone else.

Can I end by saying that my whinge about the amount of coverage of this game is because I love this site, and for some reason I find all the articles about Hitman jarring and inconsistent with the things I love about it. Somehow, I also feel that the really interesting thing about Hitman is whether the way they are releasing this content is a cynical marketing/cash generating exercise, not the content itself. I feel the same way about articles about new Street Fighter and Overwatch characters, for example. I’d much rather know what you guys think or experience when playing games, or your mediations on the field of gaming generally, or read about a game or person in the industry that I can’t read about on Kotaku, than know that a game with 40 characters has just had another character added.

• Raoul Duke says:

Sorry, one other thing:

“As a little test, think of a game you like and see when you last complained about its coverage.”

Well, I really, really like MGS:V. In fact, although I am only 30-something percent through it (after almost 100 hours) I suspect it will be right up the pointy end of my all time best games list. But I would find it really odd if you wrote an article every week about how they have a new on-line forward operative base event happening, which to my mind is barely distinguishable from this Hitman content (online only, time limited opportunity to play a tiny new slice of an existing game). And I am pretty sure I would comment about that.